U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 04:06 AM

567 posts, read 910,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Palm View Post
it's not that segregated...and certainly not racially tense as some cities.... very diverse. You can go to practically any area of metro Houston and find people from different "walks of life" living in the same neighborhoods.... shopping, dining, just practically co-habiting (i don't mean living under the same roof, just living within the same communities).
But how much contact do people come into? Doesn't the suburban sprawl discourage random encounters with random people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
A few years ago, I was on a city bus in San Francisco going up to the Haight from downtown. Daytime-around 12 or so, nice day and there ya go: the fight started between a group of black chicks and Latina chicks and soon thereafter, the fellas decided to get involved. The bus driver stopped the bus and called the police but not before a lot of punching, pushing, and an infinite amount of racial slurs were shared by all. Not to mellow in my book. Sorry.
You sure it wasn't gang related? If you were passing through the Lower Haight, that's more or less the hood.

Old 06-15-2013, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I nearly fall out laughing when I hear New Yorkers bash other cities (especially southern cities) for racial tensions when I know better. (I'm NYC biggest fan and have never lived there). Some think "we are too sophisticated and cultured to be racist". I don't think NYC is as bad as Chicago, St. Louis and Detroit. I think this thread is about having a mild racial climate. No city is above being racist. None!
Howard Beach, much of Staten Island, etc. etc. I'm told there are areas, especially in the outer boroughs, that are no-go for black folks. Just because the guys chasing you with tire irons have names like "Vinny Cucinelli" as opposed to "Travis Ray McGruder" doesn't make it any better.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:55 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 41,929,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalLord View Post
Howard Beach, much of Staten Island, etc. etc. I'm told there are areas, especially in the outer boroughs, that are no-go for black folks. Just because the guys chasing you with tire irons have names like "Vinny Cucinelli" as opposed to "Travis Ray McGruder" doesn't make it any better.
Yeh, I asked a (white —*half Jewish, half Italian) friend from Staten Island whether he thought a black person would be comfortable in Staten Island, and he said "he never thought about it, but wasn't sure". It's gotten better in the last few decades IMO, and there are probably many other parts of the city/metro where a middle-class black person would have no issues.

The tensions are less for Asians and Hispanics, it's a bit odd that neighborhoods known for being anti-black and avoided by blacks got large influxes of immigrants (asians or hispanics) without much racial tension.

Although one thing that makes the black population of New York City, different from many other northern cities, is it's not mostly from the south. Something like about 47% of the black population is either foreign born or has at least one immigrant parent, mostly from the West Indies. It's probably increasing — a greater portion of the black population leaving is "native".

Old 06-15-2013, 10:51 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 5,999,428 times
Quote:
Howard beach has changed it has a significant Indian Hindu and Muslim population as well as quite a few Latin families. Staten Island does have those areas that you are describing but they have gained both a significant Indian and African population.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:07 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 5,999,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Although one thing that makes the black population of New York City, different from many other northern cities, is it's not mostly from the south. Something like about 47% of the black population is either foreign born or has at least one immigrant parent, mostly from the West Indies. It's probably increasing a greater portion of the black population leaving is "native".
This is true. But also the Italian American, and Puerto Rican population in NYC has decreased at the same time and rate as the Black American population. They have all been replaced by Asians, Albanians, other Latin groups, as well as African and Carribean immigrants, as well as many others from all over the world.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:34 AM

18,631 posts, read 27,042,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
It may seem that way on the surface, but Houston is still very segregated.
Compared to most cities, Houston is not that segregated.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:02 PM

740 posts, read 1,019,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
It's different once you get outside the inner loop.
no, it's not. Even outside of BW8 you'll find diversity.... have you really been in Houston? Southwest Houston, West Houston, NW Houston, Memorial, for example, all verrrry diverse, verry integrated areas.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:06 PM

740 posts, read 1,019,730 times
Quote:
But how much contact do people come into? Doesn't the suburban sprawl discourage random encounters with random people?
no. It hasn't limited the "random encounters with random people". The sprawl just means that more people from different backgrounds have spread out into the suburbs.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:28 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,513,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Palm View Post
no, it's not. Even outside of BW8 you'll find diversity.... have you really been in Houston? Southwest Houston, West Houston, NW Houston, Memorial, for example, all verrrry diverse, verry integrated areas.
That's true, there are districts throughout the city, but they're just that, districts. I lived in a neighbourhood with mostly whites, and fairly close to areas with Mexicans and Koreans. However once you crossed into either of these areas, there was a completely different feel. There were a lot of places in my area that I went to that hardly ever saw white people. Houston is diverse, but it's not nearly as integrated as LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or