U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 12:29 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,054,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post

Now, I do have to take some issue with the notion of the Pacific Northwest being labeled the most racially harmonious. It very well may be, but its also not racially diverse. Seattle is multicultral (as is Portland to a lesser degree) because of the large variety of Asian cultures and Seattle has a sizable Ethiopian community as well, but racially diverse it is not.

Because of this, comparing places like Seattle or Portland to LA, Houston, Dallas, DC, Atlanta, DC, etc. is kind of like comparing apples and oranges. Those places have a lot more racial diversity, but admittedly have had a more checkered history with racial tension. But we really dont know how people in the Northwest would react to the wild demographic swings that people in the cities named have experienced. How would Seattle re-act if, in a matter of 10 years, Mexicans/African-Americans became the majority of the city? How would people in Portland re-act to 600,000 new Hispanics in a 10 year time frame? The fact is, neither city has those wild trends. The bulk of growth comes from Asia and lets face it, they are much more approved by white culture than Hispanics or African Americans.

I say this not to imply that the Pac NW is somehow racist or anything of the sort, but we cant really compare Seattle or Portland to other MSA's/cities in the South or California.
Part of the problem with this is that by this standard you can't judge race relations anywhere on this planet outside of a few cities that are mostly in North America. I think a lot of people forget that cities like LA, Houston, Miami, etc are among the most diverse anywhere on earth. Even cities like Seattle, Boston or Minneapolis would be considered very diverse in Europe, or most of Asia, Africa or South America. Metro London, which some people consider to be among the most diverse cities in the world is still 75% white. So if you are going to argue that you can only judge race relations in cities that are no majority or 60/40 you need to keep in mind that there are very few cities in the world that are like that, our perspective is slanted because many of them are in the US.

That said, it is a major accomplishment for places like Houston, Atlanta or LA to have decent race relations. In most of the world it probably wouldn't work like that. Humans in groups are often not good to each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 12:18 PM

80 posts, read 92,101 times
I'd say Sacramento. It's the only legitimately integrated city on the West Coast. I'd vote for an East Coast city but we all know East Coast cities are still working on their race relations.

Old 10-18-2013, 04:24 AM

71 posts, read 88,491 times
Being from LA/LB, it's more shocking to me when I see a baby that isn't mixed.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:05 AM

1,908 posts, read 4,033,660 times
I think racism gets exaggerated in both directions, for the better or worse.

If certain southern cities are mentioned, people talk about how "bad" the relations are as if people can't go out in public without being treated rudely, called racial slurs, etc. when that's not even close to the case. There may be "under the table" racism that plays a factor in certain aspects, but then again I believe you can find that anywhere.

On the other hand, I see places like Seattle described as some "racial utopia" but more than enough times I've saw people asking for info about specific areas, then others express some strong negative opinions about South King County, only to have some other person chime in with a comment along the lines of, "some of these areas aren't that bad, they just have a much larger black population than most other areas around here."

Yeah, that lets me know some of that same under the table racism is there too, as it is everywhere.

Also, as some others have noted, I think it's much easier to appear "tolerant" when some places have much smaller percentages of minorities than other places.

As an African American, I just can't buy some of this stuff.

For an example, I'm pretty sure most would say a place like Portland or Seattle has better "race relations" than some southern city like Birmingham or Memphis, but come on let's be honest here. Unless you're the type of person that has no problem usually being one of only a handful of blacks in the crowd, how in the world could you be black and possibly feel more comfortable in those cities?

Old 10-18-2013, 01:10 PM

13,403 posts, read 21,195,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBNative View Post
Being from LA/LB, it's more shocking to me when I see a baby that isn't mixed.
Thats much more common in Long Beach than LA. Long Beach is WAY more integrated than LA.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:39 PM

1,576 posts, read 2,536,725 times
From what I've seen... The non Ethnic parts of LA, Seattle, and most of the Bay Area. I've never felt I was treated different as a Black person from everyone else in those cities.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:54 PM

24,757 posts, read 33,962,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
NYC is probably the most diverse city in the states. It is also the largest and one of the densest. There is racial tension in the area but has a surprisingly very low crime rate. I vote NYC on this topic. The concept of racial intermingling is found nowhere else in the states to the extent it exists in NYC.

My second nomination would be Honolulu.

In order to consider the place, you have to think about a fair representation of all races. NYC has that. Seattle doesn't.
There is diversity in Honolulu, but race relations are hardly mellow. As bad as aspects of New York can be, I would consider it, as well as LA, the most diverse American cities. But the black population in LA is under siege (for reasons internal and external) and many blacks are leaving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or