U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 08:44 PM

12,698 posts, read 10,514,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
And i'm kind of surprised no one else calls a shopping cart a "wagon"- always been a wagon to me.
Agree with all you've said so far. Water is "waw-ter" and bagel is most definitely "bay-gull". I sometimes say wagon, too, now that I think about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 09:12 PM

44,884 posts, read 36,203,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Don't go betting your property like that. I never said I DIDN'T! Um, I'm from New Jersey, remember? Even though we don't sound the way most of you believe we do from watching TV and movies, we have our own mispronounciations here. I'll bet your farm that you don't say "cawfee" or "tawk" or "farrest".

ALL I SAID WAS that that thing saying short "i" in words instead of the short "e" in words irritates me. It just does, moreso than other regional accents and mispronounciations.

I'm sure "chawklit" irritates people, too.
Actually -it's "mispronunciations," not "misproNOUNCiations" - but thank you for such a succinct example of a word you probably do mispronounce!

Old 06-19-2013, 09:36 PM

3,771 posts, read 2,561,689 times
Im from a small town in North central Florida
Curse is cuss
Ignorant is Ignant
carbonated beverage is soda
shopping cart is cart, or buggy
your is yo
group of people is yall
crawfsh is crawfish
splinter is splinter
pecan pie is pee can pie
lawyer is loyer
worm is worm
aunt is auntie
Grandma is Granma
carmel is care-a-mel
spider with 8 legs and mall body is big ass spider
tennis shoes is just shoes
are not is aint
You are not is yeen
You did not know is uoeno aparently
talk is tawk
Florida is Flawda
Damn,I just realized how F'ed up we talk down hure.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:25 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,145,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Actually -it's "mispronunciations," not "misproNOUNCiations" - but thank you for such a succinct example of a word you probably do mispronounce!
All English language is dialect.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
All English language is dialect.
I don't care how you label it - if someone says "proNOUNciation," they are misproNOUNCING the word "proNUNciation." It's not simply a matter of accent or dialect - they are reading (and then saying) the word incorrectly.

Don't fall on your sWord over it, though.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:07 AM

Quote:
I don't care how you label it - if someone says "proNOUNciation," they are misproNOUNCING the word "proNUNciation." It's not simply a matter of accent or dialect - they are reading (and then saying) the word incorrectly.

Don't fall on your sWord over it, though.
If it's just an idiolect (i.e. unique to that individual), I would say it's wrong because it makes communication more difficult. However, if it's a regional thing, then it's not wrong, but simply different.

It's all about effective communication. Differing pronunciations between regions are just simply that. On a more macro-level, American pronunciations are not wrong, nor British. On a smaller level, it applies to regions. Pronouncing aunt "ant" is not wrong, nor is pronouncing pen "pin" (though the second sounds weird to me).

This is assuming that this is a dialect, as I said earlier. It's more likely a spelling error.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:24 AM

Quote:
If it's just an idiolect (i.e. unique to that individual), I would say it's wrong because it makes communication more difficult. However, if it's a regional thing, then it's not wrong, but simply different.

It's all about effective communication. Differing pronunciations between regions are just simply that. On a more macro-level, American pronunciations are not wrong, nor British. On a smaller level, it applies to regions. Pronouncing aunt "ant" is not wrong, nor is pronouncing pen "pin" (though the second sounds weird to me).

This is assuming that this is a dialect, as I said earlier. It's more likely a spelling error.
That's all well and good - but to say "proNOUNCiation" is simply, well, wrong. Which was my original point.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
That's all well and good - but to say "proNOUNCiation" is simply, well, wrong. Which was my original point.
My point is no pronunciation is wrong if it's simply a reflection of dialect.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:54 AM

56,111 posts, read 54,613,656 times
Quote:
ROFL, and I'm usually the spelling police! No, I do pronounce that correctly. Just spelled it funny. It's "mispronounce/-ed/-ing" but "mispronunciation".

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say it the way I spelled it.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:05 PM

56,111 posts, read 54,613,656 times
Quote:

'Twas, though I'm betting KathrynAragon was hoping otherwise.

Seriously, you are correct. There is only dialect, and linguistically, there is no one "right" way to speak any language/dialect. Any illusions of the "proper" way to speak a language are usually based on the way it is spoken by whomever is in power.

For those truly interested in the subject, an interesting and informative book on linguistics for the layperson is John McWhorter's The Power of Babel. He writes with a sense of humor, too.

The Power of Babel: A Natural History of Language: John McWhorter: 9780060520854: Amazon.com: Books#_
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or