U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 05:17 PM

8,483 posts, read 10,460,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
South Florida rivals Southern California for beach culture.
Both are definitely in the top 2. I would say the Jersey Shore is a solid #3.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2013, 03:20 PM

386 posts, read 284,435 times
Raleigh can definitely compete with Charlotte it can compete with any mid tier metro be it Orlando,Nashville,,Austin or whoever and its growing faster then most to boot...
As far as my city the greatest in the world we have no peer and that's not NYC arrogance there is simply nothing equivalent in the US period....Chicago comes the closest but even they are a very very distant 2nd....in sports maybe Boston but that's about it.

Old 11-02-2013, 04:08 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,141,440 times
Philadelphia has a pair of one-way rivalries--one with Pittsburgh and one with New York City. Pittsburgh thinks it has a rivalry with Philadelphia, but most Philadelphians don't really think about Pittsburgh much. Philadelphians tend to look at the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic region instead, so Philadelphians think they have a rivalry with New York. But again, most New Yorkers really don't pay attention that that.

This seems to really on manifest through sports, though, particularly when the "junior partner" in the rivalry has the better team. So, Philadelphians will usually dislike the Mets, but Mets fans didn't really start loathing the Phillies until recently. Likewise, in the early '00s, the Penguins were an afterthought compared to the hated Devils and Rangers. My theory predicts that Pens fans always hated the Flyers (I haven't tried to test that). Hate seems to be sticky, though. That means that if a team became a rival when they were really good, fans will still tend to hate them even when they suck.

There has also been a 76ers-Celtics rivalry, but I don't think that's translated into a real city rivalry (or even necessarily a sports rivalry the transcends the times when both teams are good). If Philadelphia and Boston were to admit they were rivals, they'd have to admit that they're competing over 2nd best in the region (behind NYC) and I don't think either side (and especially Boston) wants to do that. Boston prefers to be a rival with NYC, from my experience.

Does this random assortment of ideas masquerading as a theory work?

Old 11-02-2013, 05:30 PM

6,212 posts, read 7,382,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
The rivals of NYC

In sports -- Boston
In entertainment -- Los Angeles
In power -- Washington DC
In finance -- London
100% True!

Old 11-02-2013, 05:57 PM

386 posts, read 549,622 times
Not sure who Atlanta rivals with. If you go on the forum you'll notice that they pretty much hate all other cities that are not Atlanta though.

Old 11-02-2013, 06:01 PM

248 posts, read 313,322 times
Chicago rivals with Toronto and Philly and maybe DC
Cincinnati rivals with Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Columbus, Indy, St. Louis and maybe Louisville

Old 11-02-2013, 06:05 PM

386 posts, read 549,622 times
Chicago rivals with Toronto?

Old 11-02-2013, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ull2015 View Post
From what I noticed on this forum it tends to be Houston vs. Atlanta on which is the top city in the south. I also see Atlanta vs. New Orleans. And most people from Houston usually favor New Orleans over Atlanta. Just what it seems like from my observation. I myself find Atlanta to brag a lot about its status as the top of the south. Or so they like to think.
Agreed.

Old 11-02-2013, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
NYC: four seasons!
+4

Old 11-02-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Both are definitely in the top 2. I would say the Jersey Shore is a solid #3.
Don't forget the Outerbanks, the beaches in Delaware, Maryland's Eastern Shore, the beaches in Hawaii, and the beaches in eastern Massachusetts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or