U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 06:29 PM

248 posts, read 313,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by myspoonistoobig View Post
Not sure who Atlanta rivals with. If you go on the forum you'll notice that they pretty much hate all other cities that are not Atlanta though.
No its pretty clear City Data hates Los Angeles, lol and all the Texas cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2013, 06:48 PM

1,874 posts, read 2,362,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myspoonistoobig View Post
not sure who atlanta rivals with. If you go on the forum you'll notice that they pretty much hate all other cities that are not atlanta though.
lol! So true. Atlantans pretty well worship their city. Hmmm...who does New Orleans rival with just on a City vs City basis? I don't think we care enough. Now when it comes to sports its a different issue!

Old 11-02-2013, 06:54 PM

8,548 posts, read 5,376,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
For Chicago.....I really don't know.

There are sports rivalries, such as St. Louis, Green Bay, Milwaukee, but just as far as similar cities there aren't a ton. People who haven't lived in either city will say NYC, but NYC doesn't care about Chicago and I never hear anything in Chicago about NYC other than what you'd hear from elsewhere in the country. People either love it or hate it, go there for work/vacation. They're so different. In the Midwest Detroit is the next largest metro, but it has so many problems it's not really a rivalry. Minneapolis is doing well, but it's like 1/3 the size and off the radar.

We just kinda chill on our own. Have our own problems as well as great aspects to keep us busy.
Chicago owns the Midwest, it has no rivals in the region to speak of. Indianapolis is now the second largest city in the Midwest due to the shrinking population of Detroit city proper. other potential rivals are really too far away in my opinion like L.A., Houston, philly. dispite its bad rap on crime chitown is an awesome place.

Old 11-02-2013, 07:22 PM

8,483 posts, read 10,464,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
Philadelphia has a pair of one-way rivalries--one with Pittsburgh and one with New York City. Pittsburgh thinks it has a rivalry with Philadelphia, but most Philadelphians don't really think about Pittsburgh much. Philadelphians tend to look at the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic region instead, so Philadelphians think they have a rivalry with New York. But again, most New Yorkers really don't pay attention that that.

This seems to really on manifest through sports, though, particularly when the "junior partner" in the rivalry has the better team. So, Philadelphians will usually dislike the Mets, but Mets fans didn't really start loathing the Phillies until recently. Likewise, in the early '00s, the Penguins were an afterthought compared to the hated Devils and Rangers. My theory predicts that Pens fans always hated the Flyers (I haven't tried to test that). Hate seems to be sticky, though. That means that if a team became a rival when they were really good, fans will still tend to hate them even when they suck.

There has also been a 76ers-Celtics rivalry, but I don't think that's translated into a real city rivalry (or even necessarily a sports rivalry the transcends the times when both teams are good). If Philadelphia and Boston were to admit they were rivals, they'd have to admit that they're competing over 2nd best in the region (behind NYC) and I don't think either side (and especially Boston) wants to do that. Boston prefers to be a rival with NYC, from my experience.

Does this random assortment of ideas masquerading as a theory work?
Historically Philadelphia and New York City have been rivals even before the founding of the United States, so that's an easy one that sticks out.

As far as sports rivalries go, I agree with you in that Philadelphians hate teams more from the East Coast than they do with Pittsburgh. The only good rivalry between Philly-Pittsburgh is in the NHL with the Flyers and Penguins.

Teams that Philly Sports Fans hate

NBA: New York Knicks
Lesser Extent: Boston Celtics, Brooklyn Nets

NHL: New York Rangers
Lesser Extent: New Jersey Devils, Pittsburgh Penguins

NFL: Dallas Cowboys, New York Giants
Lesser Extent: Washington Redskins

MLB: New York Mets
Lesser Extent: Washington Nationals, Atlanta Braves, Los Angeles Dodgers

MLS: New York Red Bulls
Lesser Extent: New England Revolution, DC United

Old 11-02-2013, 09:14 PM

6,418 posts, read 10,861,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Historically Philadelphia and New York City have been rivals even before the founding of the United States, so that's an easy one that sticks out.

As far as sports rivalries go, I agree with you in that Philadelphians hate teams more from the East Coast than they do with Pittsburgh. The only good rivalry between Philly-Pittsburgh is in the NHL with the Flyers and Penguins.

MLS: New York Red Bulls
Lesser Extent: New England Revolution, DC United
Fans that hate Philly sports fans:
All of them.

Old 11-02-2013, 09:45 PM

6,212 posts, read 7,386,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Fans that hate Philly sports fans:
All of them.

Applause Crowd Cheering sound effect - YouTube

Old 11-03-2013, 08:28 AM

4,222 posts, read 2,505,774 times
Helena doesn't have a rivalry. Really the only towns in Montana that I would consider to be rivals are Bozeman and Missoula but they're still so different. Every town in Montana really has it's own distinct personality so they're hard to compare.

I grew up in Bowling Green, OH and I have fond memories of the Ohio/Ontario Games. St. Thomas, Ontario was our sister city and we had kind of like a kids Olympics every year with each town taking turns hosting. Those were good times spending a week with a host family in St. Thomas and hosting kids at our house. I wish we had something like that here in Helena.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:41 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,143,092 times
Quote:

Yes. But the Phillies and Pirates used to be rivals before the divisions were moved around. And a friend of mine is a fan of Pittsburgh teams. She hates the Sixers just because they're the Philadelphia team, even though Pittsburgh doesn't even have a basketball team. Rooting against Philadelphia is her default position. (Though she says she dislikes the Flyers and the Devils about equally).

Quote:

For me, it goes (1) Boston, (2) Los Angeles, (3) New York. I've never really felt anything about the Nets one way or the other.

Quote:
Those are the three teams, but the team at the top of the list is the team that's the best at any given moment. Right now, you cannot say that the dislike of the Pens is in anyway to a lesser extent. That stuff gets intense.

Quote:
Yep. I like that commercial where a guy in a Shady jersey walks up to a guy in a Eli Manning jersey and a guy in an RGIII jersey. He hesitates for a second before putting his arm around the RGIII fan. The caption says, "The enemy of my enemy is my friend."

Quote:
Dodgers? Mets, Braves, Nats-ish, Yankees. But that's because everyone hates the Yankees.

Old 11-03-2013, 03:20 PM

8,483 posts, read 10,464,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
Those are the three teams, but the team at the top of the list is the team that's the best at any given moment. Right now, you cannot say that the dislike of the Pens is in anyway to a lesser extent. That stuff gets intense.

NY-Philly Rivalry: Rangers/Flyers take it outdoors - YouTube

Quote:
Dodgers? Mets, Braves, Nats-ish, Yankees. But that's because everyone hates the Yankees.
I picked the Los Angeles Dodgers for historical purposes. They were actually the Phillies main rival before the franchise relocated from Brooklyn and then of course the Mets franchise was establish as a result of that. The rivalry between the Phillies and Los Angeles Dodgers may not be on the level of other teams like the Mets, Nationals, and Braves but there is definitely enough hate between fans of both cities.

Old 11-03-2013, 04:58 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,048,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Chicago owns the Midwest, it has no rivals in the region to speak of. Indianapolis is now the second largest city in the Midwest due to the shrinking population of Detroit city proper. other potential rivals are really too far away in my opinion like L.A., Houston, philly. dispite its bad rap on crime chitown is an awesome place.
Sorry, but your opinion is just flat out wrong... Have you ever been to the Midwest? The post you quoted even broke a lot of it down, a good sports city like Chicago doesn't have rivalries???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or