U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 10:55 AM

1,152 posts, read 2,613,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
You claim there is more true hippies out East and that the forests aren't lush enough in the Northwest but then would rather live in the Republican paradise and fairly dry forests that is Idaho?
Idaho has the most extensive and lush forest lands in the inland west. Northern Idaho has temperate rain forests similar to the west coast of Washington, and much of central Idaho is fairly lush and areas around McCall look similar to the forests in western Oregon. Even the forests outside of Boise, although dryer then the north, are still lush. Eastern Idaho has great forests and grand groves of Aspens. Idaho is also known for having the last untouched forest ecosystems in the lower 48 and some of the healthiest forests in the west. The state also has a lot of ancient giant cedar groves with ground foilage just as lush as anywhere on the western coast.

Before knocking Idaho, remember Idaho, Oregon, and Washington all have similar landscapes. Idaho is just missing the ocean, but at one time, millions of years ago the beach was once where Hells Canyon and The Seven Devils Mountains are currently, which isn't very far from Boise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 12:09 PM

9,967 posts, read 14,610,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TohobitPeak View Post
Idaho has the most extensive and lush forest lands in the inland west. Northern Idaho has temperate rain forests similar to the west coast of Washington, and much of central Idaho is fairly lush and areas around McCall look similar to the forests in western Oregon. Even the forests outside of Boise, although dryer then the north, are still lush. Eastern Idaho has great forests and grand groves of Aspens. Idaho is also known for having the last untouched forest ecosystems in the lower 48 and some of the healthiest forests in the west. The state also has a lot of ancient giant cedar groves with ground foilage just as lush as anywhere on the western coast.

Before knocking Idaho, remember Idaho, Oregon, and Washington all have similar landscapes. Idaho is just missing the ocean, but at one time, millions of years ago the beach was once where Hells Canyon and The Seven Devils Mountains are currently, which isn't very far from Boise.
I actually like Idaho. The Panhandle is beautiful and I've been wanting to explore the Sawtooths more for years.

Even a Mormon town like Idaho Falls has a good location fairly close to the Tetons.

I was just sort messing with that poster...

Old 06-30-2013, 02:04 PM

6,413 posts, read 10,385,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkFlowerGarden View Post
Again, it isn't the same type of forests. By comparing the photos in the links, you can see the pine forests of Oregon and the hardwood forests of Pennsylvania. (Moss doesn't count as underbrush.)

The other contrast is the amount of forests. Only the western part of Oregon is rainforest. The entire west has only pockets of woods. Here, you have entire states that are forested throughout.
No, they're not the same kind of forests.

The ones in the west are lush and green. You're only seeing what you want to see if you think the underbrush is all moss. The ones in Pennsylvania are not bad forests, but the puny little trees and thin underbrush don't make me think the words "lush and green".

Say, if you want, that you would miss the type of forests you are accustomed to. But you can't make claims that just aren't true.

Old 06-30-2013, 03:46 PM

217 posts, read 264,334 times
Isnt Idaho full of rednecks ?

Old 06-30-2013, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane4madonna View Post
Isnt Idaho full of rednecks ?
um. No. Are you racist? Judgemental? Are you normal?

Old 06-30-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
I actually like Idaho. The Panhandle is beautiful and I've been wanting to explore the Sawtooths more for years.

Even a Mormon town like Idaho Falls has a good location fairly close to the Tetons.

I was just sort messing with that poster...

I get you
Gotta give credit to the smaller towns in the intermountain west that have large Mormon populations like Idaho Falls and Provo. They are typically very well kept cities and towns, and generally have good ecomonies. LDS tend to be entrepreneurial.

Last edited by TohobitPeak; 06-30-2013 at 04:27 PM..

Old 10-30-2013, 02:23 PM

7 posts, read 12,329 times
I think oregon, washington, and idaho all have some thing for some one im sick of washington its to expensive alot of gang proublems and drugs im trying to decide if i want to raise my family in boise idaho or some place in oregon

Old 10-30-2013, 02:36 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,390,761 times
Northern California I guess, mainly the Santa Rosa area. More sunny and warmer. Can't stand places like Oregon or Washington, too cloudy and wet. I need the sun!

Idaho I don't really care about in the slightest.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:42 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,637,492 times
I could not handle California's politics... Much too extreme for me (oh, and a lot of pretentious people). Otherwise, I would pick there because in my opinion the entire state of California has great weather. Idaho does not interest me too much, personally, but it is a beautiful state.

There's a tie between Seattle and Portland at this point. Not sure what I would like better.

Old 10-31-2013, 12:02 AM

313 posts, read 392,534 times
Hm some of the best areas in the country.

Well I'm not rich so Northern California is out of question.

Idaho is beautiful but for young folk like me there just isn't a lot to do.

I guess Washington would be the winner with Oregon a close second. Pacific Northwest domination continuation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or