U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 10:34 PM

14,798 posts, read 19,003,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasR30 View Post
I miss America. It is great out here but nothing beats a life in the US. I've been looking into Chicago a lot. I am realizing how cold the winters are. Going from a city that is walr most of the year to a city that has freezing temperatures might be a problem.

Despite that, it is my 1st choice. The other half wants San Francisco because she is now saying she would rather trade the snow for year round warmth. I'm trying to convince her otherwise.

Either way, I think it is between those 2 cities now.
Yes! Much different year round, but the summers in Chicago are quite nice. The winters are going to be a challenge in the beginning, but when you think about it - people are in Chicago from all over the world. I have friends from areas of the world that are hotter on average than Sydney or most anything the US has. Saudi Arabia, Morocco, Egypt, Malaysia, Ethiopia, Nigeria, Lebanon, etc. Learn what to wear and you'd be fine, but yes still a change for sure.

San Francisco is quite a nice and beautiful city. Smaller, but still great and easily one of the greatest/best in the US. I wouldn't call it year round warmth necessarily. San Francisco is very temperate. In the winter its probably 3-5 degrees F colder than Sydney is in the winter, but Sydney is a good 10-13 degrees F warmer than San Francisco in the winter. It's not bad though.

Chicago is actually warmer on average than Sydney is in the summer by about 5 degrees F on average (though some months may be very similar). There are also beaches in Chicago, although it's not the ocean, but a HUGE lake that does create waves, but nothing like the ocean does in the winter. People still use the beach a ton though here.

The only thing is, and I know you've said it's not an issue, but San Francisco is still one of the most expensive cities in the US. It sucks because it's a nice and beautiful city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 05:14 PM

6,312 posts, read 6,962,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
The "overwhelm" thing is up to the person. There's no way you can say X city will overwhelm someone without them giving you enough data on what other cities overwhelm them. I think maybe if the OP is on Michigan Avenue or a few times in the Loop during the evening dash to the trains, then sure, or maybe a Cubs game or something.
Precisely! Which is why I said it was possible that it would feel overwhelming. And you disagreed that this was even a possibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasR30 View Post
My girlfriend is Vietnamese/Chinese, we eat a lot of Asian cuisine (and it must be authentic) which is why Chinatown is so important to us. Sydney might be smaller than a lot of American cities but it doesn't feel like it. We are going on a trip to DC this October (work related), I hadn't thought of the idea of moving there but we will keep an open mind about it while we are there.

I actually didn't know that DC had a true downtown, I thought it was just the National Mall. This will be my 1st time in the city.

Thanks for the advice.
DC should be very pretty that time of year! Remember that DC Chinatown is pretty crappy as far as authentic Chinatowns go. It's predominantly a fabricated hotspot for tourists. There are plenty of good Chinese and Vietnamese places, but they'll be out in the suburbs of Virginia and Maryland so you may not get a chance to go while you're visiting.

As far as DC having a true downtown, I don't know that there is necessarily a perceived CBD or Downtown area. But the District (actual "city" limits of DC) is not that big and most of it is urban, dense, vibrant and walkable. Inner suburbs of DC have a lot of these same characteristics too. One thing that would definitely be different would be the lack of skyscrapers since DC doesn't build higher than the National Monument.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:20 PM

14,798 posts, read 19,003,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Precisely! Which is why I said it was possible that it would feel overwhelming. And you disagreed that this was even a possibility.
No, you misunderstood me. I was talking about on average, and I also brought up other figures to downplay the feeling of that one may get in certain cities. Anybody could be overwhelmed almost anywhere, but if you're coming from Sydney...I don't know. Probably not going to be completely overwhelmed by Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.