U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 08:44 PM

57,023 posts, read 81,425,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingElsewhere View Post
Upstate NY fits your criteria.
I agree and I'd add Pennsylvania and the rest of the "Interior" Northeast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 09:48 PM

5,578 posts, read 7,021,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
Itís difficult to compare Europe to America. They have free healthcare,

Correction-they have taxpayer funded healthcare.

Old 06-16-2013, 02:12 PM

136 posts, read 235,152 times
Quote:
It’s difficult to compare Europe to America. They have free healthcare, lots of vacation and comparatively inexpensive post-secondary education. In the US most of those things are money/career dependent.
This is an important point. In the US, many people are forced to be hardworking because of the work culture here. Taking a week off for a vacation, for instance, is difficult in many jobs, and a six month maternity leave (or a three month paternity leave) is unimaginable for most Americans (something that's taken for granted in Europe and even Canada). Such a culture defines the work ethic and the subsequent focus on wealth. The US is probably THE best country in the world for someone looking to work hard and become rich, and virtually every college graduate aims to earn a certain amount within a certain number of years (they have, after all, taken a huge debt for a college education, and feel entitled to getting rich).

So while OP will not find places in the US that are similar to Europe or Canada, his/her best bet is to find a city that isn't a major business center, has a large university presence (people working in academia aren't typically focussed on wealth), and one where the mean household income is around $30,000-$50,000.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:33 PM

18,162 posts, read 23,189,840 times
Quote:
Itís difficult to compare Europe to America. They have free healthcare, lots of vacation and comparatively inexpensive post-secondary education. In the US most of those things are money/career dependent.
This was my thought when i read the post. There are even housing benefits in England. They don't have to worry about money as much as Americans do. They don't have to worry about going bankrupt over medical bills or being homeless if they lose their jobs, from what I've read. That would take a lot of worry off my shoulders. I wonder if I could even get my teeth fixed for free if I was European. I'm on Medi-Cal and we don't even have dental anymore. Or vision.

That said, as long as you can afford where you live, you don't have to worry about money. And if you don't have to worry about money, your life doesn't have to be centered around it.

Some people have plenty and always want more, more, more.

But, even if you don't want money to be the focus of your life, you're still going to need some way to pay for it, unless you're independently wealthy.

Old 06-18-2013, 03:05 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,543,058 times
I'd say most places aside from NYC, LA, Miami, DC, SF, Atlanta, Dallas, Phoenix, and Las Vegas.

Most other places, even other big cities like Chicago, Boston, Philly, Houston, and Seattle, aren't terribly concerned with money and constantly showing it off.

Old 06-18-2013, 03:47 PM

378 posts, read 1,020,877 times
Louisiana for sure... we are too busy eating and drinking and having a good time!

Old 06-20-2013, 12:13 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,410,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
When I was traveling in Europe, particularly England, I noticed that people are not nearly as concerned with how much money they make as Americans. By comparison, Americans seem too greedy and workaholic, and forget about what I think are the more important things in life, like doing something meaningful, or doing things that you enjoy. It seems like most Europeans take the attitude that they want enough to survive, but they're not going to let their whole lives center on work and money. I take a similar attitude, and I don't want to spend my whole life chasing the dollar. Are there any places in the US where I'm more likely to find this attitude, or would I have to leave the country for it?

Very true. I've seen news reports on how much time people especialy in European nations get for vacation and time off of work and it really puts a good deal of employers here in the U.S. to shame. Also in the latin american nnd caribbean nations people around lunch time people put down whatever the heck they are doing and lunch out/rest for like an hour, hour and a half. The U.S. tends to be very driven by work and it's not always to our benefit. That's why you have many teens whose parents don't know what in the world they are doing n the afternoons and such and wonder why they go of course and end up in trouble.

Old 06-20-2013, 05:00 PM

249 posts, read 375,139 times
Waco, Texas comes to mind, the previous decade's debacle notwithstanding.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:47 AM

930 posts, read 1,289,851 times
Avoid the Sun Belt region of the US. The Great Lakes / Rust Belt is probably the most down-to-earth area of the country.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:12 AM

21,281 posts, read 30,567,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppingDFW View Post
Avoid the Sun Belt region of the US. The Great Lakes / Rust Belt is probably the most down-to-earth area of the country.
Exactly! The Sun Belt new money types are only interested in "bigger and better"....houses, cars, jewelry, etc. I would say it's exclusive to the area though would throw in Southern California which in my opinion is quite similar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or