U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 08:49 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,853,522 times

Advertisements

When I was traveling in Europe, particularly England, I noticed that people are not nearly as concerned with how much money they make as Americans. By comparison, Americans seem too greedy and workaholic, and forget about what I think are the more important things in life, like doing something meaningful, or doing things that you enjoy. It seems like most Europeans take the attitude that they want enough to survive, but they're not going to let their whole lives center on work and money. I take a similar attitude, and I don't want to spend my whole life chasing the dollar. Are there any places in the US where I'm more likely to find this attitude, or would I have to leave the country for it?

Last edited by Cleverfield; 06-15-2013 at 09:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 09:00 AM

5,991 posts, read 8,324,206 times
I'd say the Midwest and the South are likely contenders. There are obvious caveats to those regions (like Atlanta, Miami and maybe Chicago), but by and large people seem a bit less money-centric.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:20 AM

639 posts, read 940,411 times
Upstate NY fits your criteria.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:05 AM

14,800 posts, read 17,729,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
When I was traveling in Europe, particularly England, I noticed that people are not nearly as concerned with how much money they make as Americans. By comparison, Americans seem too greedy and workaholic, and forget about what I think are the more important things in life, like doing something meaningful, or doing things that you enjoy. It seems like most Europeans take the attitude that they want enough to survive, but they're not going to let their whole lives center on work and money. I take a similar attitude, and I don't want to spend my whole life chasing the dollar. Are there any places in the US where I'm more likely to find this attitude, or would I have to leave the country for it?
I dont think this is accurate.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:19 AM

1,429 posts, read 1,990,267 times
It's ashame how many people have lost the notion of what it truly means to live. There are people with money, who are very sincere and do not spend their hard earned money trying to show off for people they do not know. A good place, that fits your description is Taos, New Mexico. There are a number of off the grid communities, old hippy communes, freelance artists, and free thinkers.

Last edited by santafe400; 06-15-2013 at 11:05 AM..

Old 06-15-2013, 10:21 AM

726 posts, read 1,011,425 times
Alaska

Old 06-15-2013, 10:42 AM

21,207 posts, read 30,412,852 times
I'd say the much of the Midwest, Plains and Rocky Mountain states are less focused on wealth and are less pretentious in general. I'm a Florida native and have lived in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic, and am now back in "new money-oriented" Central Florida.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:47 AM

14,798 posts, read 19,036,585 times
Much of the midwest is not so concerned with wealth and I'd say the same about most of the south. In the cities, there are areas where they're all about wealth, but on average, even in Chicago, it's not as much as say NYC, LA, or even DC. I also find most of Philadelphia to be cool and parts of Boston as well. Seattle and Portland for the most part too. This is for cities at least.

When you get outside of the cities, people care less too. HOWEVER they seem to be more impressed with you if you have money because they just aren't used to it. So they put you on a pedestal more it seems. Same thing with celebs. It's almost like this uncharted holy territory for many that it's like "I can't possibly imagine knowing a celebrity" or "I can't possibly imagine knowing someone really rich." So it's not a huge deal until they meet someone with that status.

Last edited by marothisu; 06-15-2013 at 11:02 AM..

Old 06-15-2013, 12:26 PM

4,036 posts, read 8,946,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Are there any places in the US where I'm more likely to find this attitude, or would I have to leave the country for it?
It’s difficult to compare Europe to America. They have free healthcare, lots of vacation and comparatively inexpensive post-secondary education. In the US most of those things are money/career dependent.

Old 06-15-2013, 12:47 PM

22,728 posts, read 28,783,807 times
Why does it matter what your neighbors think about their own salary? Do you intend to let them dictate what you will purchase and how you will live? You can't make up your own mind about how to spend and what to earn?

There are plenty of poor areas in the United States if you want to be living just like your neighbors do. There are plenty of people in the USA who work very hard doing socially responsible things.

And the British, by the way, are very concerned about their salary. It is just that it is not socially done to discuss work or money. I knew people in Britain well enough to be invited to their homes for meals and after 6 years, still did not know what they did for work. But they like their luxury goodies and nice houses and cars just as much as anyone else does.

My house guests from Britain always arrive with empty suitcases so that they can load up on American goods at American prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or