Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 01:27 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,660,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I would argue Louisville is as liberal or more so than Columbus.
Really? How many republicans are in city government in Louisville? In Columbus there are ZERO. Columbus city council, mayor, school board, and now the main county government is all one hundered percent democrat.

As some have said, "this isn't your grandfather's Columbus." Columbus had a combo of democrat and republican leaders all the way until the 90s, then after 1999 each republican has been kicked off, and it seems nearly impossible to elect a republican mayor or city council member in the city.

Columbus is a VERY secular city, and if you are a republican in the Columbus city or inner-metro you are socially liberal, or you are asking to go against the cities secular, socially liberal values. It would be impossible for a candidate not for gay marriage, not for broad woman's rights, or whom doesn't have a very high standing on civil rights issues from even getting a look let alone elected in Columbus. Even the republican party is trying to run gay republicans in the city council races. Columbus also has a very very strong African-American political community, and political authority and power, in its house reps (Joyce Beaty, mayor, Michael Coleman, and city council and school board)

Not to mention all of Columbus' suburbs saw more democrat votes in the last major elections, growing against the national trend in the 04 presidential election where bush won nationally with a larger majority, in Columbus and almost all of it's burbs bush lost with a LARGER majority than his first race.

Here is an article linking talking about the outcome of last nights elections.

Positive vision won for party, Coleman says
Wednesday, November 7, 2007 3:49 AM
By Robert Vitale and Mark Ferenchik

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

DORAL CHENOWETH III | Dispatch
Mayor Michael B. Coleman, elected to his third term as mayor, hugs Hearcel F. Craig after Craig was elected to City Council.

Moderator cut: copyrighted article

DispatchPolitics : Positive vision won for party, Coleman says Columbus Dispatch Politics (http://www.dispatchpolitics.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2007/11/07/ColMayCoun.ART_ART_11-07-07_A1_3H8CSTO.html?adsec=politics&sid=101 - broken link)

Last edited by Yac; 12-14-2007 at 02:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 09:10 AM

942 posts, read 1,385,194 times
I think one needs to define what is liberal, conservative, and a category that is rarely ever mentioned Radical Liberal. I would say a city like Boston is liberal, while Portland, Oregon is Radical Liberal. Louisville and Columbus could be listed as liberal with a strong conservative bent just outside the city limits, and some of it within the city. Even Portland is extremely conservative when one leaves some of the city neighborhoods, its not that big a city to begin with. I think one finds liberal neighborhoods in a city rather than the entire package. Maybe San Francisco is the exception to that though.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:31 AM

1,409 posts, read 4,854,342 times
A liberal city with a low cost of living = Oxymoron!

If there's one trait that almost universally defines liberalism, it is high taxes.

That causes a ripple effect, making everything else more expensive ("trickle-up" economics?)...and there goes your affordable cost of living.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:37 AM

1,409 posts, read 4,854,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetcreed View Post
Columbus is a VERY secular city, and if you are a republican in the Columbus city or inner-metro you are socially liberal, or you are asking to go against the cities secular, socially liberal values.
Amen to this, and everything else you stated here.

I am sorta like living proof of how much Columbus has changed in 20 years (too bad I didn't live here then...)

Today, I'm a relic from a bygone era, politically/socially. I reckon if I don't get outta here soon, they might try and put me in a museum!

Old 11-08-2007, 01:07 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,907,756 times
"We live in a Democratic city," he said. "It's not our grandfather's Columbus, if you will."

This is because lots of people that have moved to columbus are from NE Ohio (a heavily Democratic area). I'm pretty sure that about half of my graduating class lives in the columbus area.

Old 11-08-2007, 03:22 PM

7,069 posts, read 16,679,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OREGONRAIN View Post
I think one needs to define what is liberal, conservative, and a category that is rarely ever mentioned Radical Liberal. I would say a city like Boston is liberal, while Portland, Oregon is Radical Liberal. Louisville and Columbus could be listed as liberal with a strong conservative bent just outside the city limits, and some of it within the city. Even Portland is extremely conservative when one leaves some of the city neighborhoods, its not that big a city to begin with. I think one finds liberal neighborhoods in a city rather than the entire package. Maybe San Francisco is the exception to that though.
Well said! I think this is very true. Louisville is so interesting because you have very liberal neighborhoods downtown, and then some suburbs which are as conservative or more so than any in America! I think the same can be said for Portland, and even more so for Columbus.

By the way, the majority of the city council is Democratic in Louisville. The city always votes democratic, and for heaven's sake, the Mayor is a Jewish Democrat and has been Mayor for 4 terms off and on now!

I stand by my argument that what kind of city has campaigns to tear down major interstate thruways through downtown?

Welcome to 8664.org

And the counterculture here is as strong as many smaller college towns I have seen, yet it is a midsized city.

Keep Louisville Weird

I think Louisville and Columbus are similar, with Columbus having substantially more and larger suburbs, and that "corporate suburban lifestyle."

Old 11-08-2007, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieter View Post

Catholicism is a form of Christianity, though. How important is Catholicism to the citizens in Louisville? I'm living in a rather religious neighborhood here in Tucson and it seems as if some of my neighbors treat their religion as a status symbol. I'll never be their "equal" until they see me at their church...and see me driving a SUV.
Hmm, I have noticed that a little in Louisville. I am not a native but there seems to be a "click" of catholic people and they have all these festivals in the summer. There must be 100 Catholic churches in the city, and over 40 Catholic schools I think. Still, Louisville is a very liberal city inside the I-264 loop. And I am talking relative to mid sized cities here...of course San Francisco and Boston, etc are going to be much more liberal.

Old 11-08-2007, 05:07 PM

Columbus has a few suburbs that lean democrat (voting pattern wise), but the suburbs only saw Bush win by about 4-5percent in the last election, and the democrat vote growth has been growing much more than the republican (which is mostly shrinking) in almost ALL of Columbus' suburbs. If these trends continue, most of Columbus' burbs' will be split 50/50 (democrate/republican) or start to see a democrat lean. Also, Columbus is situated smack in the middle of Franklin County, Ohio.

Columbus has a population of 700,000
Franklin County is over a million, and includes most of Columbus' major suburbs. Franklin County went for the democrat the last 4 presidential elections. Yes, Franklin County never elected Bush. So to say that only Columbus city limits leans democrat is not totally true, and if you do want to say that don't forget Columbus city limits includes a decent amount of the metro being 222 sq miles, your not just talking abotu 60 sq miles of liberal city, your talking about 222, and some of that goes to suburban, rich school districts, and is still voting democrat.

Old 11-08-2007, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Really? How many republicans are in city government in Louisville? In Columbus there are ZERO.
I still never got an answer, I am just curious, is there republicans in Louisville's city hall?

Old 11-08-2007, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetcreed View Post
I still never got an answer, I am just curious, is there republicans in Louisville's city hall?
yes, as the city of Louisville now includes the whole county, over 700,000 residents, and 385 square miles. None of the rebublicans are located in the actual urban city. There are 26 members of the Metro Council:

http://www.louisvilleky.gov/NR/rdonl...councilmap.pdf

http://www.louisvilleky.gov/MetroCouncil/

I honestly have no idea which ones are rebublicans, but I believe the ones that are are in super suburban locales like distrct 20.

Furthermore, since Columbus has only 6 or 7 council members, this is not an accurate comparison of the liberalness of each city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.