U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Are the Western states more "transplant-friendly" than the Southern states?
Yes 95 61.69%
No 59 38.31%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-05-2013, 10:44 AM
 
Location: Milwaukee
1,314 posts, read 1,743,986 times
Reputation: 946

Advertisements

Why does everyone have to "adapt to southern ways" when they move to the south but there are no such restrictions for southerners moving west or north? It's literally the only place in the country where you hear this, and it's un-American. Certainly doesn't sound "welcoming and hospitable" to me. Or do you just have to pretend you're not a jerk to fit in? I'm saying don't call me "Yankee" because I find it offensive and it's generally meant as a slur. And if I'm in the south, I'm going to act exactly how I always act. It's always served me well in the past. I wouldn't ask "TexasReb" to abide by every single northern norm that he is uncomfortable/unfamiliar with while up north, why do I have to act how he wants me to just because I drove a few hours south in my own country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-05-2013, 10:52 AM
 
Location: Willowbend/Houston
13,403 posts, read 21,253,643 times
Reputation: 10289
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
Why does everyone have to "adapt to southern ways" when they move to the south but there are no such restrictions for southerners moving west or north? It's literally the only place in the country where you hear this, and it's un-American. Certainly doesn't sound "welcoming and hospitable" to me. Or do you just have to pretend you're not a jerk to fit in? I'm saying don't call me "Yankee" because I find it offensive and it's generally meant as a slur. And if I'm in the south, I'm going to act exactly how I always act. It's always served me well in the past. I wouldn't ask "TexasReb" to abide by every single northern norm that he is uncomfortable/unfamiliar with while up north, why do I have to act how he wants me to just because I drove a few hours south in my own country?
My thoughts too. I live in Texas and I havent changed a bit since my move from California. Good news for me is that I dont have to. Virtually nobody I know is even from Texas and the ones that are like me for who I am. I have never heard the terms "yankee" or "rebel" once in almost five years here. Maybe its a small town thing? I dont know.

Why would I want to be around a bunch of yahoos that I have to conform to fit in with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2013, 11:52 AM
 
Location: Milwaukee
1,314 posts, read 1,743,986 times
Reputation: 946
True. And to be clear, I've spent a lot of time in the South and I like a lot of cities and countrysides there, as well as the majority of the people. There is definitely a unique sentiment in some regions that you're invading their turf, however, and that portion of southern culture I find absolutely ridiculous and contemptible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2013, 12:58 PM
 
8,778 posts, read 10,886,644 times
Reputation: 12827
I was made to feel like an invader living in the north! It does work both ways; smaller cities operate like that. I think the size of an area determines that to a large part. But, really, to me personally, I don't see any heart warming welcomes in the northeast to anyone! Unless it's your brother, cousin, aunt, 2nd cousin once removed--that sort of thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2013, 07:29 PM
 
10,167 posts, read 17,146,688 times
Reputation: 5744
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
My thoughts too. I live in Texas and I havent changed a bit since my move from California. Good news for me is that I dont have to. Virtually nobody I know is even from Texas and the ones that are like me for who I am. I have never heard the terms "yankee" or "rebel" once in almost five years here. Maybe its a small town thing? I dont know.

Why would I want to be around a bunch of yahoos that I have to conform to fit in with?
If you have to ask a silly question like that? Then you will not have the common sense to understand the answer anyway...

Hey? Question? Why did you leave California? Was it because those like you ruined your own state and now are intent on turning Texas back into the same one you ruined and fled to begin with?

Where the hell will you go when those with your attitude/outlook ruin Texas? Just keep moving east?

Geez, It must be a yankee thing...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2013, 07:45 PM
NCN
 
Location: NC/SC Border Patrol
21,135 posts, read 21,928,047 times
Reputation: 23222
My first experience at being treated differently because I am a North Carolina native was when my husband went to his company's school in Denver, Colorado back in 1965. We had just traveled for three day with a child that was allergic to the new paper diapers and I went to the coin laundry to wash about 60 cloth diapers. We kept a big pail in the trunk of our car and I would rinse out the diapers and put them in the pail until we could wash them.

Another person that was doing her laundry too started talking about the prejudice of the South toward blacks as if she just assumed that included me. It took me a few words to put the ignorant person in her place. I am not listening to that kind of junk when I did nothing to cause it.

I have had to listen to a lot from those that moved into our area from almost everywhere. When you are a professional working on a public job you do not have the luxury of putting ignorant, prejudiced people in their place. I took the high road and they thought I was just wonderful. Maybe that is a better way to teach people to have a few manners, by example. Some of them get it and others never will. You can't fix stupid is another thing I learned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2013, 07:49 PM
 
10,167 posts, read 17,146,688 times
Reputation: 5744
Quote:
=CowsAndBeer;30822605]Why does everyone have to "adapt to southern ways when they move to the south but there are no such restrictions for southerners moving west or north?
Very silly question. When you come into someone else's home, you need to accept their way. What is so hard to understand about that?

And contrary to what you say? We Southerners are raised with the good manners to understand and accept this all...and will behave the same way when (if) we move up or out there.

Quote:
It's literally the only place in the country where you hear this, and it's un-American.
Then keep out of the South. If you feel like common good manners are "un-American" YOU are the problem.

Quote:
Certainly doesn't sound "welcoming and hospitable" to me. Or do you just have to pretend you're not a jerk to fit in?
You just have to have good manners. Can't handle it? Then why the hell would you move here to begin with????

Quote:
I'm saying don't call me "Yankee" because I find it offensive and it's generally meant as a slur. And if I'm in the south, I'm going to act exactly how I always act.
Then guess what? You are going to get treated just exactly like your attitude deserves. That is, a Yankee who has a superior attitude and disdains the South. Like all too many do. I will be the first to treat you kindly if you show some respect for our ways. I will also be the first to do just the opposite if you come down and presume to disrespect my state/region with impunity.

Quote:
It's always served me well in the past. I wouldn't ask "TexasReb" to abide by every single northern norm that he is uncomfortable/unfamiliar with while up north, why do I have to act how he wants me to just because I drove a few hours south in my own country?
And I can appreciate that and would never move up North in the first place...and if I did, I would expect to show respect for their customs. In Texas/South...we call that good manners.

What is your own country? Mine is the United States. BUT? To be honest? It is only so long as Texas is part of it. Why would my "country" be Ohio or Iowa or Massachussetts or New York over Texas?.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2013, 08:07 PM
 
Location: Willowbend/Houston
13,403 posts, read 21,253,643 times
Reputation: 10289
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
If you have to ask a silly question like that? Then you will not have the common sense to understand the answer anyway...

Hey? Question? Why did you leave California? Was it because those like you ruined your own state and now are intent on turning Texas back into the same one you ruined and fled to begin with?

Where the hell will you go when those with your attitude/outlook ruin Texas? Just keep moving east?

Geez, It must be a yankee thing...
Cut your sanctimonious garbage. I'm not even talking about politics.

Look man, I'm not asking you to change. When people who move to your neighborhood from another area of the country, do you expect them to drop their personalities, views, or thinking? I never do. By that same line of thinking, I'm not changing either. I purposely moved to a diverse area because of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2013, 09:58 PM
 
Location: 'Bout a mile off Old Mill Road
591 posts, read 641,364 times
Reputation: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Cut your sanctimonious garbage. I'm not even talking about politics.

Look man, I'm not asking you to change. When people who move to your neighborhood from another area of the country, do you expect them to drop their personalities, views, or thinking? I never do. By that same line of thinking, I'm not changing either. I purposely moved to a diverse area because of it.
Westerners are very drawn to me and take to me rather quickly, for some reason or another. I've always though that it's because I'm loud, animated, blunt, approachable, and sincere. Some get such a kick out of the facial expressions and contortions I make inadvertently and, of course, how I constantly talk with my hands. You can tell some of these people have never met someone like me.

If I were to change and behave more like your average Westerner, I wouldn't really stand out, and I don't think I'd have as many friends out here as I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2013, 06:47 AM
 
10,167 posts, read 17,146,688 times
Reputation: 5744
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Cut your sanctimonious garbage. I'm not even talking about politics.
Politics has nothing to do with it. Manners does. If you can't see the difference, then get glasses or contacts. .

Quote:
Look man, I'm not asking you to change. When people who move to your neighborhood from another area of the country, do you expect them to drop their personalities, views, or thinking? I never do. By that same line of thinking, I'm not changing either. I purposely moved to a diverse area because of it.
*shrug* That's fine. But don't moan and pliss and whine and blitch when people don't welcome you with open arms because of your arrogant attitude. Which is exactly what it is. Arrogant and obnoxious. You come across as the epitome of the yankee who is exactly the reason the terms damnyankee has currency in Texas/South.

And by they way? Why do people move to Texas/South to begin with? In most all cases it is because they need to find jobs that are no longer available in the part of the country they ruined and fled.

Bottom line is that Texas/Southern hospitality is open to those newcomers who are accepting of it. On the other hand? We will damn sure defend our way of life and lifestyle. You choose which.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top