U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are the Western states more "transplant-friendly" than the Southern states?
Yes 95 61.69%
No 59 38.31%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 09:32 AM

13,403 posts, read 21,205,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Politics has nothing to do with it. Manners does. If you can't see the difference, then get glasses or contacts. .

*shrug* That's fine. But don't moan and pliss and whine and blitch when people don't welcome you with open arms because of your arrogant attitude. Which is exactly what it is. Arrogant and obnoxious. You come across as the epitome of the yankee who is exactly the reason the terms damnyankee has currency in Texas/South.

And by they way? Why do people move to Texas/South to begin with? In most all cases it is because they need to find jobs that are no longer available in the part of the country they ruined and fled.

Bottom line is that Texas/Southern hospitality is open to those newcomers who are accepting of it. On the other hand? We will damn sure defend our way of life and lifestyle. You choose which.
Well, to begin with calling my attitude arrogant and obnoxious make you, TexasReb, a hypocrite.

Second, I have been welcomed with open arms. I have more friend in the Dallas area than any other place Ive ever lived. Perhaps a reason for that is that I dont know a single person who shares your views on cultural conformity. I doubt people whom are like you would like me. If I lived in an area of people who had your views on culture, transplants, and people, I probably would not be welcomed nor happy. But thats not the reality of where I reside, my friends, or the people I encounter on a daily basis. Welcome to Big City/Suburb, Texas circa 2013.

You might be thinking that Im shoving my "culture" on the people around me and people like me are turning Texas more "yankee". I dont go around randomly and tout my views or whatever. I have a wide range of friends from Republican to Democrat, Texan to foreign born, and everywhere in between. Thats the whole point of diversity. None of my friends who share different views or cultures than I do demand I change. Thats the difference between you, TexasReb, and people who can welcome new residents, despite being a different culture, and not expect them to change.

I would also say that nobody is trying to destroy your culture. You and those who value your culture are more than welcome to celebrate it. Celebrate it and enjoy it! Just dont expect me to adopt it or cheer you on while you celebrate it. I certainly dont expect you to value my culture.

Look at the city I reside. I live in Plano, TX which is a place that has very little Southern/Texan culture. That said, for a suburb there are lots of events that do go on, just none of them celebrate Southern culture. The biggest events celebrate East Asian and South Asian culture as well as arts. To be frank, TexasReb, I probably fit in better in Plano/Dallas than you would.

Also, stop painting Texans with such a broad brush like you do in your last statement. Honestly, youre line of thinking would be in the minority in places like Houston, Dallas, or Austin as well as most of their suburbs.

I would close with a question: What do you expect of people who move to a new area of the country? Do they automatically have to adopt the local way of thinking and the local culture?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 11:28 AM

1,314 posts, read 1,738,353 times
Thanks for that, I'm done with this character. I picture Foghorn Leghorn as I read it and can't take any of his delusional replies seriously anyway.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:37 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,119,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Well, to begin with calling my attitude arrogant and obnoxious make you, TexasReb, a hypocrite.
It does? How so does it?. Saying so and misusing terms doesn't make it so. '

SOOOO? I will repeat again, in plain Southern English. If you move to Texas/South then you are going to have to deal with that we in Texas/South have our ways. It is up to you to get used to them, not us to adapt to yours. Especially those who are coming here because y'all screwed up the state you ran from to Texas.

Quote:
Second, I have been welcomed with open arms. I have more friend in the Dallas area than any other place Ive ever lived. Perhaps a reason for that is that I dont know a single person who shares your views on cultural conformity. I doubt people whom are like you would like me. If I lived in an area of people who had your views on culture, transplants, and people, I probably would not be welcomed nor happy. But thats not the reality of where I reside, my friends, or the people I encounter on a daily basis. Welcome to Big City/Suburb, Texas circa 2013.
Well, I will give you this one. People like you who flood Texas because they fled their own state will naturally be the feature in suburbs. Why did you leave to begin with?

Quote:
You might be thinking that Im shoving my "culture" on the people around me and people like me are turning Texas more "yankee". I dont go around randomly and tout my views or whatever. I have a wide range of friends from Republican to Democrat, Texan to foreign born, and everywhere in between.
Of course you are shoving your culture -- or what you think it is on Texas. Don't fool yourself otherwise. You say so yourself in lots of ways...even if you don't quite understand it.

Quote:
Thats the whole point of diversity. None of my friends who share different views or cultures than I do demand I change. Thats the difference between you, TexasReb, and people who can welcome new residents, despite being a different culture, and not expect them to change.
So tell me (or anyone else) what is the point of "diversity"...if it boils down to meaning nothing at all. I don't WANT diversity. I want TEXAS. Not strip malls and so-called "diversity" that is now turning into a joke. Why did you leave your original state to begin with? Diversity didn't work very well, did it?

Quote:
I would also say that nobody is trying to destroy your culture. You and those who value your culture are more than welcome to celebrate it. Celebrate it and enjoy it! Just dont expect me to adopt it or cheer you on while you celebrate it. I certainly dont expect you to value my culture.
LOL You didn't do a very good job of keeping up your own culture, did you? Why should you be "trusted" to do anything but wreck ours?

Quote:
Look at the city I reside. I live in Plano, TX which is a place that has very little Southern/Texan culture. That said, for a suburb there are lots of events that do go on, just none of them celebrate Southern culture. The biggest events celebrate East Asian and South Asian culture as well as arts. To be frank, TexasReb, I probably fit in better in Plano/Dallas than you would.
I take that as a compliment. I sure as hell hope so. Plano/Dallas is filling up with transplants who know nothing about Texas history and couldn't care less. Heck, they know even less about the state they ruined and fled and now want to turn the same they fled to into the same

Quote:
Also, stop painting Texans with such a broad brush like you do in your last statement. Honestly, youre line of thinking would be in the minority in places like Houston, Dallas, or Austin as well as most of their suburbs.
LMAO Podner? I don't think you have any credentials as all to lecture me on Texas/Texan attitudes. Want to call what you think might be my bluff? We can do that. You just call. I promise you I will raise the bet...

Quote:
I would close with a question: What do you expect of people who move to a new area of the country? Do they automatically have to adopt the local way of thinking and the local culture?
That is an easy question to answer. You seem to expect that newcomers have no responsibility to adapt to the new locale and the new locales manners and ways. That it is incumbent on the Texans to accommodate and adapt to their own arrogant ways.

Is it always easy to adapt to new culture and environment? No, sometimes it might not be. BUT? The flip side is that someone (yankee/west coasters in particular) who comes down to Texas/South acting like an arrogant a$$ and announcing how backward all down here are, then complaining that they are not "treated with Southern hospitality"?. Good lord, go figure.

Now then? Why did you move to Texas???

Old 08-06-2013, 05:03 PM

821 posts, read 1,254,936 times
Western PA doesn't get too many transplants. Lately though a lot of workers from Texas have been moving up to work in the oil industry, especially in nearby northern WV. They seem to just kind of blend in with the rest of us.

I work and live in Columbus part time right now and there are a lot of transplants from all over Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia. However, people seem to dislike the Kentucky transplants for some reason. People make jokes about Kentucky a lot it seems.

I have relatives in North Carolina and they seem to enjoy it there. My cousin is from Pennsylvania and her husband is from Wisconsin. Again they just kind of blend in with the rest of the people and report no problems. They did say some of the NY and NJ transplants are a little loud and have a harder time adjusting. I see that in Pittsburgh too.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:04 PM

774 posts, read 1,697,022 times
I have lived all over this country, and yes, I think Western states are slightly more transplant friendly. That is not to say that the South is not transplant friendly, because it largely is too. I have lived around the country and from what I have seen and experienced, where you were born and raised matters more in the South than in other regions. To their credit, Southerners have a sense of kinship and love of the land that is unmatched by any other groups of Americans. I had to explain to a coworker when I lived in the South that while a Georgian and Arkansas will likely feel a common bond as Southerners, a New Yorker and Michigander will less likely feel a similar bond as Northerners. Keep in mind, this region of the country once fought a war for its independence. I make this post in positive regard for the bond that Southerners feel with one another. It is by far my favorite region of the country. I am from the sometimes accepted as Southern and sometimes not metropolis they call the Tampa Bay area, and now live in the Southwest. I've lived in the Northeast, Midwest, and several places in the South. Personally, I have never had any problem with acceptance and will myself accept anyone from anywhere as long as they are a decent human being.

Old 02-17-2014, 06:03 AM

1,228 posts, read 594,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Stuck in the War for Southern Independence era, are you?

Times change, and Texas forged ahead after that conflict and made its own brand.

East Texas was populated heavily by southerners early on, but Central Texas was flooded with Germans, Czechs, & other Europeans, and now I "notice" there's been an increase in the Latino population, not to mention lots of rustbelt folks & Californians. Kind of narrow to claim that this state is still what it was 6 generations ago.

Sweet tea? How about beer & hard liquor, notably Bourbon & Vodka?

Southern accent? Texas twang is not southern - it's Texan.....and it's been fading out in the past half century. Sure, a lot of rural Texans in East Texas probably sound like southerners, but that's just one part of the state.

Catholics outnumber Southern Baptists in the state too.

As I said previously, Texas is a "whole other country" - made up of all parts of America, Europe, Mexico, etc. ....and the State tourist bureau says so.

I'm a native Georgian too.

Moses Austin was a Connecticut Yankee and Governor Sam Houston, formerly President of Texas, refused to take the oath of allegiance to the Confederacy.

Excellent post but Austin's first name was Stephen not Moses. And Texas, unlike other southern states, has an international border, the longest of any in the U.S. and an industry, Energy, not prevalent in any other Sunbelt state. Louisiana has some energy jobs but its all offshore and many of those oil rigs were built by Texas companies.

Old 02-17-2014, 06:37 AM

1,228 posts, read 594,384 times
Thumbs down Myth of Lincoln?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Actually, it IS that simple. You just have to understand that if you move to the South (essentially the Old Confederate and border states) you might be considered/called a "yankee."

In fact, the fact you take offense somewhat proves the point. In fact, backing up a bit, I don't see why y'all would object to it. Hell, I would be proud to called a "Rebel" by those from states who believe in the myth of Lincoln.

But anyway, like was said above by -- although a bit different in application -- by JS and DT -- if you are considered a "dam yankee" down here? Then there is usually a good reason for it.

If you truly want to be part of our culture and environment and adapt to our ways? The I can absolutely almost guarantee you will be accepted with all respect and courtesy and hospitality. This is the way we are down here. Friendly and hospitable people...but don't take advantage of that fact.

On the other hand? If one wants to act the dam yankee (as in being self-superior, and wanting to turn Texas/South into what they fled from to begin with?), then be expected to be treated as one. It is like one who comes into someone else's home and tells them how there décor is stupid should have the good sense to realize they are out-wearing their welcome, and very quickly. If your heart is not in the South you moved to? Then getcher ass out. What is so hard to understand about that?

I guess it, yeah, sometime, must be a damyankee thing. The very insane notion that they have any sort of right at all to flee the land they ruined, then come down here and presume to lecture us on how to behave and act and our manners, is beyond silly...

Lord...I am going to have an apoplexy, if I keep this us! LOL

If you don't like the South? Stay out of it. You are welcome here if you want it that way. If you don't? You will not be. Seems quite simple!

What is the "Myth of Lincoln"? I can only guess it has something to do with abolition of slavery. Though the myth of the "genteel" south and states rights was worse.

Response by a Native Texan and graduate of a Texas university who has travelled and read extensively.

Old 02-05-2015, 12:20 AM

5,836 posts, read 10,789,448 times
An emphatic YES.

Not even sure why this is a question.

Old 07-16-2015, 01:10 PM

3,751 posts, read 3,719,704 times
You won't get sh*t from your new neighbors out West, but that's just because they won't talk to you at all.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:01 PM

2,736 posts, read 5,953,958 times
i'm a ca native (san diego) and thought of anyone from outside of ca who moved there as a tourist, and my friends did too...moved to the south and they were all welcoming, i think because i am from ca, but then found out they aren't that welcoming to yankees so not being a yankee made that an ok move for me lol...i didn't even know that tensions about yankees still existed (being from the west coast) but they do! if a "yankee" moved to ca, they'd just be a tourist lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or