U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are the Western states more "transplant-friendly" than the Southern states?
Yes 95 61.69%
No 59 38.31%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 07:18 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,575,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
You won't get sh*t from your new neighbors out West, but that's just because they won't talk to you at all.
Hmmm. . . Just last week we got home-made tortillas and green chile stew from our next-door neighbor.

I think part of the disconnect in this thread lies in the fact that in 2015 there really is no monolithic "South" or "West" or "North", etc. Just because Southern Living magazine likes to play to a geographical demographic that stretches from Baltimore to El Paso doesn't mean that all those folks are the same. And Seattle, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Albuquerque and Boise have about as much in common as . . . well, idunno.

I'm a military brat, not from anywhere or anyone with a strong regional identity of any kind. I found myself in a larger deep-south city right out of college. I made a life there and eventually found a husband there. But I was always "new", even after 25+ years. Alabama has a lot of folks who are born and raised there, educated there, work there and retire there. Accordingly, having family and old, old friends nearby is very common. It can be tough for newbies to break in. Church in the South defines much social structure, as many people socialize mainly with their fellow church members. If you're not a churched person in the South, it's a bit more challenging.

Hubby and I made the move to the southwest last year. Unexpectedly, I found my career opportunities much more wide open. Its more about what you can do than about who you are, where you went to school, and how you look. As mentioned upthread, the west is "newer", so more folks are transplants in general -- less entrenched social structure (aside from the very old native and Spanish communities). My piece of the southwest (New Mexico) has a bit of a libertarian bent. It's very live-and-let-live without much push to fit in -- it suits me much better than Birmingham, AL, where I was for 25+ years. The live-and-let-live may appear unfriendly to some, but I don't see it that way at all. It just means that folks tend to take one another on their own terms. I like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 08:09 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,127,825 times
Quote:
You won't get sh*t from your new neighbors out West, but that's just because they won't talk to you at all.
Really? My new neighbor came by our house and planted flowers in our yard for no reason, and has invited us over. Also, we speak to him and his family every day.

Why don't you stop generalizing Westerners?

Old 07-18-2015, 08:16 PM

3,751 posts, read 3,726,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
Really? My new neighbor came by our house and planted flowers in our yard for no reason, and has invited us over. Also, we speak to him and his family every day.

Why don't you stop generalizing Westerners?
Why do Western people get so pissy about generalizing? Sometimes generalizing is useful. And I'm not saying that a Westerner has never done a kind thing for their neighbor in all of history, I'm just saying people out here are less neighborly on average due to our history and values. The Wild West legacy lives on in the sense people here tend to be more likely to be loners and mistrusting of their peers.

Old 07-19-2015, 12:57 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,127,825 times
Quote:
Why do Western people get so pissy about generalizing? Sometimes generalizing is useful. And I'm not saying that a Westerner has never done a kind thing for their neighbor in all of history, I'm just saying people out here are less neighborly on average due to our history and values. The Wild West legacy lives on in the sense people here tend to be more likely to be loners and mistrusting of their peers.
People get pissy because generalizing things, especially an entire region, like you're doing, is absurd.

How can you generalize an entire region? Have you lived in at least half of the cities in every Western state to say we're "less neighborly?"

Old 09-28-2015, 09:47 PM

6,073 posts, read 3,402,168 times
Lots of northerners who move down to Florida seem to have a disdain towards anything culturally southern. They have an attitude where they wanna change local culture to make it like back home, that's why it ticks off natives.

Old 09-28-2015, 11:59 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,239,807 times
Skipping everything said and answering the OP, it is not the south is less accepting of people from the northeast. There are people from the northeast that have misconceptions and preconceptions about the south before they move there based mainly off old stereotypes and stories they may have seen in the media about isolated places that just so happen to be in the south. So many come with already a negative mind set about the south and it is often negative on how they deal with people. I've seen people come to south and on upon first meeting bash the education, the culture, the dress, how people talk, etc etc etc. Then turn around and wonder why the people they say this to have a rebuttal and why they can't fit in. I've read many times that this is just being honest when these individuals know good and well that they were being a jacka**. There is no place on earth where anybody from any region can move and do this and expect to fit in nicely. There are several that don't have this issue because they come with a open mind. Sometimes if you had a bad time it has nothing to do with you being a northerner in the south and has everything to do with you, it is not where you are from that people don't like, it is you they don't like.

Old 09-29-2015, 03:25 AM

685 posts, read 445,152 times
Not really a huge difference between the areas, and you can't really generalize whole regions when you've only been to a hand full of towns in each region. I've lived all over the US and to be honest there are friendly and un-friendly people to transplants and outsiders all over. I found people in rural Idaho/Utah/Oregon to be as "warm" in a sense than anybody I ever met when I lived Mississippi so that's that. One bad experience doesn't mean everyone is unwelcoming/rude.

The only people I've found to be either truly well mannered and/or friendly are Filipinos, Japanese, Thai, and actually most Latin Americans. That's my bad generalization or an attempt at one at least.

Last edited by MuffinMan16; 09-29-2015 at 03:35 AM..

Old 09-29-2015, 07:40 AM

4,995 posts, read 7,325,892 times
Florida is a state filled with transplants. Like California, ppl from all over come here looking to "start over".... and what better place to start over than in a place with sunshine and palm trees?

Old 09-29-2015, 04:06 PM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 28 days ago)

8,744 posts, read 10,865,840 times
Quote:
In Phoenix it was like this. Air of indifference for sure. Sometimes hostility for saying hello.

Old 09-30-2015, 10:32 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,198,639 times
Quote:
Why do Western people get so pissy about generalizing?
Does anyone else not see the irony in this statement?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or