U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are the Western states more "transplant-friendly" than the Southern states?
Yes 95 61.69%
No 59 38.31%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 02:13 PM

1,934 posts, read 1,702,080 times

Advertisements

we really don't care out west. Let's take arizona, only 36 percent of us were born in the state so it would be very hypocritical of us if we were not friendly to transplants. We also don't know if you are a transplant or not because we won't ask lol. The only people that people out west are not as friendly about is people from California moving into the area. Especially recently, hoards of people from California are moving to Arizona, Nevada, Texas, Oregon, Colorado, ect. and people make little comments about it but it's not in your face rudeness. Other than that, no matter where you're from people out west don't really care if you move into our cities. That's just my experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 01:02 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,139,658 times
In Colorado, it seems we're just as adverse to transplants from the east coast "Da*n Easterners" as we are to Californians or Texans, who are our favorite targets.

Amazingly enough, most of the population are transplants. It's almost a "we're here now, shut the gates" kind of attitude.

Old 10-02-2015, 01:28 AM

305 posts, read 238,341 times
I think people in the South that are 3rd/ 4th generation or more likely to hate people from the North because of the whole Civil War. But if you go up North you get the same thing. People in New York generally despise Southerners and like I said vice versa. Most people who's parents are from outside of the South probably feel awkward because they are neither true Southerners or true Northerners so they are caught somewhere in the middle.

I think people need to look past where they come from. None of us have any control over where we are born. But sadly many people here on city data get very hung up on this.

Old 10-02-2015, 11:50 AM

3,751 posts, read 3,719,704 times
Most people in the West were still born out West, even if they weren't necessarily born in their state. It's not so much a more mobile population than other regions, it's just a community that is spread out over a larger geographical area.

The most common Western migration patterns are California -> other states, Asia -> California, Mexico -> US, and then eastern and central US -> West. Very few Westerners leave the region, which makes it seem more insular than the born in state figures would suggest.

About 60 to 65 percent of the people out West were born in a western state, and that's including foreign born people. If you're just talking US born people it's more like 75 or 80 percent. Only about 20 percent of Westerners were born in other regions in the US. Even in transplant-heavy Nevada nearly two thirds of the US-born population was born either in Nevada or in a bordering state.

Last edited by Mini-apple-less; 10-02-2015 at 11:59 AM..

Old 10-02-2015, 12:47 PM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 21 days ago)

8,696 posts, read 10,845,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arc-lang View Post
I think people in the South that are 3rd/ 4th generation or more likely to hate people from the North because of the whole Civil War. But if you go up North you get the same thing. People in New York generally despise Southerners and like I said vice versa. Most people who's parents are from outside of the South probably feel awkward because they are neither true Southerners or true Northerners so they are caught somewhere in the middle.

I think people need to look past where they come from. None of us have any control over where we are born. But sadly many people here on city data get very hung up on this.
Southerners generally don't "hate" anyone because of where they came from. They're not "hateful" people. I'm sorry, but it's not that way. And, Northerners don't despise Southerners because of where they came from either. For the most part, people from the North and South actually do get along more often than not. There are pockets of old ignorance and hatred, but not like it used to be years and years ago.

Old 10-02-2015, 01:43 PM

3,280 posts, read 3,835,163 times
The more rural west is very libertarian, not necessarily politically. The attitude is just "Everybody mind their own business" which is very nice. Getting into other people's affairs just isn't a good thing to do.

So in terms of transplants- I would say as long as they were pleasant, people would be welcoming and friendly, but would just go about business as usual.

However, the bigger cities like Portland/Denver/Seattle/etc do tend to be douche-meccas, especially now that their "Hot".

Old 09-10-2016, 05:08 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,117,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintmarks View Post
texas was part of the confederacy. It was populated primarily by southerners. Accents are definitely southern. Evangelical christianity is the primary religious affiliation. Sweet tea is served everywhere.

Can't get more southern than that.
right!!!

Old 09-10-2016, 06:26 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,117,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowsandbeer View Post
why does everyone have to "adapt to southern ways" when they move to the south but there are no such restrictions for southerners moving west or north? It's literally the only place in the country where you hear this, and it's un-american. Certainly doesn't sound "welcoming and hospitable" to me. Or do you just have to pretend you're not a jerk to fit in? I'm saying don't call me "yankee" because i find it offensive and it's generally meant as a slur. And if i'm in the south, i'm going to act exactly how i always act. It's always served me well in the past. I wouldn't ask "texasreb" to abide by every single northern norm that he is uncomfortable/unfamiliar with while up north, why do i have to act how he wants me to just because i drove a few hours south in my own country?
then act like you akways act, and don't be surprised of if you are are called a damyamkee if the she fits s, wear it

Old 09-11-2016, 11:12 PM

5,296 posts, read 3,512,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammockbell View Post
I am also a southerner but from Tennessee, found people in California to be really nice and accepting. As a matter of fact, when I told them I was from Tennessee they told me about how much they love country music and southern culture. On the other hand, I did find that people had a lot of bad things to say about Georgia and its people, mainly about those from the Atlanta area.

One thing I will say is that no one really likes people from Atlanta all that much. Southerners tend to hate Atlanta folks (hell even Georgians themselves not from Atlanta hate em) because they see them as people that try really really hard to act cosmopolitan and northern/worldly. A few of my friends from the south have said that there really isn't anything that "southern" about Atlanta and quite a few find Atlanta residents to be snotty and pretentious. Now if that wasn't bad enough, the ATL goes strongly Democratic which doesn't sit too well with most southerners.

Northerners and people outside of the south on the other hand have their reasons for disliking Atlanta. As a friend of mines from NYC one said about Atlanta, it is a city that has all of the bad parts of the coastal areas (shallow people, lack of empathy, and little to no hospitality) coupled in with the bad parts of the southern areas (openly racist people, religious bible thumpers, and tight knit folks that dislike meeting new people who they didn't grow up alongside with) to create this uniquely awful place. Many have also complained that Atlanta residents come off as very "try hard" and are very fake.

Atlanta and its people are too left wing for southerners to like yet too unsophisticated and backwards for people in liberal areas to like, they do have a reputation of being snotty, fake, pretentious, and trying way too hard.
No agenda here....

This is possibly the most delusional - and yet at the same time, the most entertaining post I have ever seen here.

Seriously though, I see that you are a new member, and from the beautiful state of Tennessee. To ensure happiness is close for you, just avoid the beyond hideous Atlanta and the overrated dump that is Georgia.

Problem solved!

Old 09-11-2016, 11:19 PM

3,618 posts, read 1,567,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammockbell View Post
I will say this as a southerner who moved out west, the west coast is far more accepting of transplants but I think it is more because it is culturally liberal (not talking politics here).

For example, when I was growing up in the south, it was strange for a person to be single after the age of 25. We often assumed that there was something wrong with that kind of a person and if they were single after the age of 30? Oh man, making friends was borderline impossible for them. We had to keep them away, they might be a bad influence on our kids, and they might not look good to our moral image we want to keep up at church (and we do love our religion and moral image).

Out west, the hedonism culture alongside with settling down late (or not getting married at all) are prided, enjoyed, and appreciated. As a result of that, a 25 year old looking for new friends is going to have a much much easier time fitting in.
This post has to be a troll or you must have lived in a very, very small town or commune with some cult? Could be true out west in utah/arizona mormon country or northern amish or some weird texas/southern commune , tons of cults around the country. Why do people start accounts to make such highly questionable posts like this, I find that hard to believe anywhere outside some very,very small town or isolated communities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or