U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are the Western states more "transplant-friendly" than the Southern states?
Yes 95 61.69%
No 59 38.31%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 04:42 PM

2,851 posts, read 5,589,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I've lived in Northern CA most of my life and don't remember hearing negative stuff about southerners. I've been thinking about this and if it's a Southern CA thing, I have a theory.

During the dustbowl during the depression, lots of folks moved to southern CA from places like Oklahoma looking for work in the orchards, mainly. Not sure if the attitude is an old anti-Okie thing, but it's a thought.

The huge influx of dustbowl "immigrants" wreaked havock on labor and jobs for southern Californians. Anyway, that's all I can think of.

Edit: Just found this online:

"The migrants represented in Voices from the Dust Bowl came primarily from Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas, and Missouri. Most were of Anglo-American descent with family and cultural roots in the poor rural South."

So, they weren't just from Oklahoma, they were also from southern states. This is an interesting topic.
Most of the "Okies" from Oklahoma and the dust bowl moved to Northern California. Alot of them to Oakland. Southern California had a lot of Southern transplants as well. Both Black and White. Snoop Doggs folks are from Mississippi LOL. A lot of the LAPD that were so rough on Blacks back during and before the 60's Watts riots were rednecks from the South.

The first Black gangs in L.A. were created to protect them from white "Spook gangs" that would dress as ghost and terrorize the new Blacks from the South trying to run them out of South Central. These Black gangs later became bullies themselves. The Bloods were formed and became a popular way for kids to protect themselves from those bullies. The Bloods then started power trippin and the Crips were formed by kids tired of being victimized by them. Funny it all started with white guys bullying black folk in L.A.

Last edited by Galounger; 06-19-2013 at 05:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 05:10 PM

8,379 posts, read 8,371,514 times
Please don't lump Texas in with the South.

We are a "whole other country".

Old 06-19-2013, 05:25 PM

2,851 posts, read 5,589,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post

True. Texas is just a little bit of the South mixed some Plains States flavor mixed with Old West. I never considered it part of the South and I'm from the South. Maybe because here in Atlanta we're closer to places like Cincinnati, Pittsburgh and Washington D.C. than we are to Texas. It's just too far West to be Southern.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:12 PM

3,768 posts, read 2,556,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonaZoo View Post
It's funny you mention Atlanta, kiran ghimire.

I go to school in AZ. Last fall, I was chatting with two classmates of mine about Atlanta: one was from Phoenix and the other was from Southern CA. Neither of them mentioned anything about Atlanta being a "hick town" or being "backwoods." They were both complaining about the nightmarish traffic on the freeways and the congestion at the airport. My classmate from Southern CA seemed to be more familiar with Atlanta than the kid from Phoenix, and she kept reiterating that it takes forever to do anything in Atlanta. That being said, neither of them seemed to care for it all that much.

On the other hand, I have an African-American friend who grew up in a small rural community in the FL Panhandle who hates Atlanta. That was shocking to me because I've never met an African-American person who hated Atlanta, especially one from the cultural South. I have another friend from South FL who's half-white, half-Hispanic and has family in Atlanta. She doesn't like it either. To me, it seemed like most people in Florida, especially white and Hispanic people, didn't really care for Atlanta and had a stronger affinity for places like Asheville, Raleigh, and Charleston. Maybe Atlanta is just too sprawling and landlocked for most Floridians? Maybe they expected it to be more like the cities in FL when it's markedly different from just about every FL city? I don't know.

That being said, if I ever move to the cultural South, I'm heading for Raleigh.
I live in Florida, and born and raised here. I love Atlanta, but after living in Florida basically my whole life I could never live being four house from the Ocean. That is what happens alot of Friends have complained about how much they hate Florida then they move to Atlanta, and Charlotte, and they are praying to move back. I cant even count how many times that has happend.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
True. Texas is just a little bit of the South mixed some Plains States flavor mixed with Old West. I never considered it part of the South and I'm from the South. Maybe because here in Atlanta we're closer to places like Cincinnati, Pittsburgh and Washington D.C. than we are to Texas. It's just too far West to be Southern.
Correct, except you left out that South Texas is more like a mix of Mexico & the Old West.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:03 PM

7,388 posts, read 10,070,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post

Texas was part of the Confederacy. It was populated primarily by southerners. Accents are definitely southern. Evangelical Christianity is the primary religious affiliation. Sweet Tea is served everywhere.

Can't get more southern than that.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:06 PM

591 posts, read 638,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Texas was part of the Confederacy. It was populated primarily by southerners. Accents are definitely southern. Evangelical Christianity is the primary religious affiliation. Sweet Tea is served everywhere.

Saintmarks, is the Evangelical Christian vibe in North Texas somewhat "overbearing" as it is in most of the Deep South, or is North Texas more live-and-let-live like Arizona?

Old 06-19-2013, 11:03 PM

7,388 posts, read 10,070,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonaZoo View Post
Saintmarks, is the Evangelical Christian vibe in North Texas somewhat "overbearing" as it is in most of the Deep South, or is North Texas more live-and-let-live like Arizona?
Well, as you are talking to someone who was raised in the Southern Baptist Church and plays keyboards for a non denominational church currently, you might think I am one of those overbearing types. I guess you can sample threads of mine from the last several years I have been on here and see if you think I am overbearing.

I don't see much difference in Texas and Georgia on this topic, don't have any real experience in AZ so can't comment on that. I work in a very diverse workplace with people of many foreign nationalities and most major world religions. I have found some of the atheist types to be the most overbearing when it comes to religious banter and talking down to me personally. On a recent Monday, one of my co-workers asked me if I got "my hallelujahs and hail Mary's out of the way yesterday" which I found somewhat insensitive and demeaning. I surely hope I don't come across that way to anyone about their beliefs.

This is sliding off topic, but related in some ways as I believe Southerners are demeaned in other corners of the country because of the place that church plays in daily life for many. Much less than my earlier years, but still an important part of southern fabric, IMHO.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:02 AM

18,094 posts, read 22,943,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Most of the "Okies" from Oklahoma and the dust bowl moved to Northern California. Alot of them to Oakland. Southern California had a lot of Southern transplants as well. Both Black and White. Snoop Doggs folks are from Mississippi LOL. A lot of the LAPD that were so rough on Blacks back during and before the 60's Watts riots were rednecks from the South.

The first Black gangs in L.A. were created to protect them from white "Spook gangs" that would dress as ghost and terrorize the new Blacks from the South trying to run them out of South Central. These Black gangs later became bullies themselves. The Bloods were formed and became a popular way for kids to protect themselves from those bullies. The Bloods then started power trippin and the Crips were formed by kids tired of being victimized by them. Funny it all started with white guys bullying black folk in L.A.
I find this thread utterly fascinating. So much history I didn't know, and I've lived in CA most of my life, with a long stretch in WA and a short stretch in TN.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post

Stuck in the War for Southern Independence era, are you?

Times change, and Texas forged ahead after that conflict and made its own brand.

East Texas was populated heavily by southerners early on, but Central Texas was flooded with Germans, Czechs, & other Europeans, and now I "notice" there's been an increase in the Latino population, not to mention lots of rustbelt folks & Californians. Kind of narrow to claim that this state is still what it was 6 generations ago.

Sweet tea? How about beer & hard liquor, notably Bourbon & Vodka?

Southern accent? Texas twang is not southern - it's Texan.....and it's been fading out in the past half century. Sure, a lot of rural Texans in East Texas probably sound like southerners, but that's just one part of the state.

Catholics outnumber Southern Baptists in the state too.

As I said previously, Texas is a "whole other country" - made up of all parts of America, Europe, Mexico, etc. ....and the State tourist bureau says so.

I'm a native Georgian too.

Moses Austin was a Connecticut Yankee and Governor Sam Houston, formerly President of Texas, refused to take the oath of allegiance to the Confederacy.

Last edited by ScoPro; 06-20-2013 at 10:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or