U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are the Western states more "transplant-friendly" than the Southern states?
Yes 95 61.69%
No 59 38.31%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 09:50 AM

5,412 posts, read 7,706,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
We are also part of the South. And always have been. If one took out the Southern traits from Texas then it would not be recognized as Texas.

This whole notion that Texas is Old West in the sense of being non-Southern is probably the most non-sensical in modern history, and largely because of Hollywood movies.

Yes, we are a whole 'nother country", I agree. But part of the reason is we are -- again, I agree -- have traits -- in many parts -- that are atypical of the eastern South.

But as many point out? Texas culture, religious, linguistics, outlook, politics, etc, have always been essentially Southern. It is completely ridiculous to group Texas (as a whole) into the true West or Interior Southwest in terms of the above qualities of essence. Those states did not even become states until long after Texas was already primarily settled by anglo and blacks from the southeast. The whole Mexico influence is something recent and one of largely illegal immigration.

The Old West? Again, yes, but like the frontier strip. Is Kansas a western state? Yes it is. Is it a Midwestern state? Yes, it is. Texas is both Southern and western, but its primary roots are Southern, with a western flair. Totally different from the true West. We were Cotton and Confederate from the start. And really, our natural allies are the southeastern states that sent the settlers this way.

I will challenge you or anyone else (and I mean this in a respectful way, definitely ) to show history/culture of Texas being more akin to Arizona or Colorado than that of Tennessee or Alabama (where most settlers came from).

BTW, too? I can't wait to answer your list. It will be fun as hell!
I love watchin' two Longhorn fans duke it out!

(Yes, ScoPro is a Longhorn fan.....maybe it's time to cheer for some real colors, the good ol' Crimson & Cream, the SOONERS, eh Reb, my Friend?!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 11:34 AM

86,992 posts, read 102,568,112 times
There is a lot of hostility towards outsiders here in CO, Californians, Texans, and "easterners" especially. Midwesterners are looked upon as a bunch of naive farmers.

Old 06-22-2013, 02:30 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,112,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
I love watchin' two Longhorn fans duke it out!

(Yes, ScoPro is a Longhorn fan.....maybe it's time to cheer for some real colors, the good ol' Crimson & Cream, the SOONERS, eh Reb, my Friend?!)
LMAO. Yeah, you Sooner you, I figured you would take a slug at me! I can't wait until we kick y'alls butts next year!

Of course, that is mighty big talk on my part, in light of what we got last year, huh?

But seriously, I always sorta looked at Oklahoma as a "younger brother" of Texas (somewhat akin to how Arkansas is bit older double 1st cousin). We might have had a history of sibling animosity in some ways (especially when it comes to college football! LOL), but by gawd and high cotton, we fight on the same side of the creek when it comes to Yankees making the mistake of jumping in!

Old 06-22-2013, 05:32 PM

591 posts, read 638,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
LMAO. Yeah, you Sooner you, I figured you would take a slug at me! I can't wait until we kick y'alls butts next year!

Of course, that is mighty big talk on my part, in light of what we got last year, huh?

But seriously, I always sorta looked at Oklahoma as a "younger brother" of Texas (somewhat akin to how Arkansas is bit older double 1st cousin). We might have had a history of sibling animosity in some ways (especially when it comes to college football! LOL), but by gawd and high cotton, we fight on the same side of the creek when it comes to Yankees making the mistake of jumping in!
IMO, Oklahoma is Texas's younger brother, and Arizona is its first cousin.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:39 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,541,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
There is a lot of hostility towards outsiders here in CO, Californians, Texans, and "easterners" especially. Midwesterners are looked upon as a bunch of naive farmers.
I've heard that native Coloradans tend to have an aversion toward Texan transplants that's just as strong as that which they hold toward Californian or East Coast transplants. It honestly kind of baffles me inasmuch as Texas doesn't seem to be such a different sociopolitical world as opposed to California, meaning that the consequences of Texan migration wouldn't, one would assume, bring such strong changes in the traditional political and cultural character of the state.

Unless CO is being flooded with Austinites, I really don't get it.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:31 AM

144 posts, read 223,703 times
I heard in an interview from Loretta Lynn that in the 1940's, a lot of Kentuckians moved to Washington state because of the delpleting coal mines jobs in eastern Kentucky. Loretta was one of them and she said people in the part of Washington they moved to were not kind to the new arrivals from Kentucky. Same thing happened when a lot of Kentuckians moved to the Cincy-Dayton, OH area but that's the midwest.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:17 AM

9,423 posts, read 18,324,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montguy View Post
I've heard that native Coloradans tend to have an aversion toward Texan transplants that's just as strong as that which they hold toward Californian or East Coast transplants. It honestly kind of baffles me inasmuch as Texas doesn't seem to be such a different sociopolitical world as opposed to California, meaning that the consequences of Texan migration wouldn't, one would assume, bring such strong changes in the traditional political and cultural character of the state.

Unless CO is being flooded with Austinites, I really don't get it.
I can speak to New Mexico in that we have a number of Texan transplants here. Thing is many people from Texas take being Texan very seriously and have a strong allegiance to the state. Some (not all) take it too far and think Texas is holier than thou and bring an ego with them and diss on the state they relocated to. To those that are indifferent about Texas and happy where they are as opposed to the Texan that brags about how much better and special everything is back in Texas, it gets VERY annoying. Why the hell did they leave Texas? I can see how Coloradans wouldn't take kindly to that. It really isn't a whole lot different from a Californian or New Yorker that moves to an other region and then bickers about they're new home state they chose to move to.

I'm a transplant from back east and I have learned to appreciate the differences found here in NM, thus the reason I moved here. Nothing wrong with reminiscing or storytelling once in a while about where you came from, I think transplants make a place more interesting and a place with an overwhelming majority of natives would be a tad boring. That said, if they can't adapt well or appreciate where they are and they constantly obsess about where they came from, they best move back or move on to somewhere else.

I chose to move out West, I personally feel a more live and let live mentality out here and I'd rather not be in the "damn yankee" classification, that would get uber annoying. I enjoy visiting the south but there is a certain regionally exclusive identity in many parts that I just could not adapt well to and would feel a bit alienated. I'm sure if I moved to a small town in NM I'd be singing a different tune. But here in ABQ I'd say 40% the people I work with are from somewhere else and it's an easy place to live. There is definitely a strong sense of local character and identity here, but fortunately I have never felt alienated here either being a transplant from the Northeast.

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 06-24-2013 at 09:42 AM..

Old 06-24-2013, 09:20 AM

4,245 posts, read 5,983,346 times
Yeah I think so.

In the South, there is always that "Accent" difference, plus the close-knit rural/small town/small-city culture that forms this sort "youre not from here" mentality.

Out west things seem more open, yet you DO have that "Native Sons of the Golden West" thing going on in Califas....

Old 06-24-2013, 09:22 AM

4,245 posts, read 5,983,346 times
Quote:
Same thing happened when a lot of Kentuckians moved to the Cincy-Dayton, OH area but that's the midwest.
Right...the "briars", as they were called in Dayton.

But that was back in the 1950s, and so many came to Dayton that this place is almost a outfider of the southern Appalachian culture now.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:42 AM

10,789 posts, read 9,415,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonaZoo View Post
Are Western states such as AZ, CA, CO, NV, OR, WA, et al. more "transplant-friendly" than Southern states such as FL, GA, NC, SC, TN, TX, et al.?

IMO, the South seems less welcoming of outsiders and, in turn, less "transplant-friendly" than the West. I can't tell you how many stories I've either heard or read about in which folks from the Northeast, Midwest, or West Coast move to the South and have a difficult time adjusting to the culture and/or fitting in with their new peers.

Also, I've yet to hear the term "Yankee" being thrown around in a derogatory manner in the West like I did when I was in FL. Nothing ticks me off more than that. Believe it or not, in FL, I would hear things like, "Oh, he's a pain in the *** because he's a Yankee," or, "She's hard to live with because she's a Yankee." The funny thing is that almost everyone in FL younger than 30 years old, whether they were born there or not, has parents who are from up North. Therefore, these folks are hardly qualified to throw around insults like that. I could understand if a fourth-generation Georgian or Alabamian said something like that, but not a first generation South Floridian. LOL.

FL has the highest concentration of non-natives of any Southern state. If you hear things like that in FL, then I'm assuming you're going to hear them much more often in the other Southern states.

I've never heard nor experienced anything like that in AZ.

I'm originally from New England. However, I don't really fit the mold of your average New Englander: Republican, fiscally/socially conservative, pro-2A, guns, country music, lifted pickup truck, and so forth. You get the picture. LOL.

That being said, for some reason or another, I just seem to click more easily with people from out West vs. people from down South. I can't seem to put my finger on the reason why either, to be honest. It just seems as though I'm initially more compatible with people from the West vs. people from the South right from the get-go. Again, I'm originally from the Northeast. Do any other Northeastern or Midwestern transplants share this sentiment? I'd really like to hear your stories, especially if you transplanted to the South first and then moved out West.
Are you religious or not? That seems to be the thing that matters most in the South. You can be a gun slinging conservative, but if you are an atheist or something, that usually is what would cause the disconnect you're seeing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or