Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 02:19 AM

2,330 posts, read 3,808,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Chicago, Minneapolis, Houston, Atlanta, Philadelphia IMO.
That would be my list too but I would also be tempted to add Pittsburgh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 08:21 AM

35,051 posts, read 31,258,424 times
It depends on how big of a metro you want as well as what is important to you. Atlanta is likely cheaper than Minneapolis, but having spent time in both cities (more in Atlanta than Minneapolis) I'd much prefer Minneapolis' cultural opportunities to Atlanta's.

State and local taxes also need to be factored into the best bang for your buck. That Forbes article seemed to consider rents only, but taxes can consume a significant part of the budget. While a person is likely to make more money in Minneapolis than in Nashville, the tax differences may eat up the salary difference.

I'd have to disagree with Raleigh being very affordable. Rents there look reasonably high when I checked them out several weeks ago, NC's unemployment rate is awful, and NC taxes are reasonably high as well.

KC/Indy most certainly belong on the list. I have looked at rents in both cities and many places there are slightly cheaper than here in rural east TN, which has next to no amenities. KC seems to have more culture than Indy and seems to be a reasonably good buy if you stay out of the higher crime areas

Old 06-17-2013, 09:44 AM

21,829 posts, read 25,102,289 times
You also have to look at the buck isn't the same buck everywhere. Working for the state in North Carolina, it's $34-36k/year. They're basically perpetually recruiting because the salaries so low. Working of the state in New York, it's more like $80-90k. So yeah, Raleigh is less expensive, but the salaries 40%. Now, if you're working for the federal government, it's $76k (starting) in North Carolina (base national rate) and $84k in NYC/San Francisco. In that case, the buck probably goes farther in Raleign.

Old 06-17-2013, 03:22 PM

486 posts, read 1,255,429 times
San Diego. IMO you get the best of California coastal living at a much lower COL than LA or SF, plus better weather than those 2.

Old 06-17-2013, 03:31 PM

669 posts, read 914,690 times
I disagree with Houston and Dallas.

Yes, they are cheap but they don't really offer that much "bang" for it's size IMO. Certainly not enough to be in be one of the best. Texas cities in general lack in urban life in my view. Although I do think Austin is not bad for it's size. Still it's not big enough to compete.

Old 06-17-2013, 03:55 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyuusr View Post
I disagree with Houston and Dallas.

Yes, they are cheap but they don't really offer that much "bang" for it's size IMO. Certainly not enough to be in be one of the best. Texas cities in general lack in urban life in my view. Although I do think Austin is not bad for it's size. Still it's not big enough to compete.

Take that, you Houston naysayers! In a love letter that the mayor, the chamber of commerce and most citizens will treasure, Business Insider declares that Houston is the Best City in America and offers up 17 compelling reasons why.

The list shouts out themes of innovation, culture and diversity that play key roles in polishing H-Town's star. Business Insider editors agree that Houston has some of the best restaurants in the region. They also point to the fact that the Bayou City is brainy thanks to two leading universities — Rice and the University of Houston. And, no surprise here, the city is ground zero for the country's booming oil and gas industry.

Five winning attributes:

1. Houston is the No. 1 city for job creation. Just ask the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.

2. Houston's unemployment rate is below the national level.

3. Our paychecks pack more bang for the buck thanks to affordable wining, dining and housing. When adjusted for cost of living, Houston has the highest annual average pay in the country.

4. Because Houston didn't experience the housing bubble that the rest of the country did, you can actually afford to buy a house here. (Though the current skyrocketing housing prices may test Business Insider's reasoning here).

5. 22 Fortune 500 companies are headquartered in Houston including ConocoPhillips, Enterprise Products Partners, Sysco and CenterPoint Energy.

http://www.businessinsider.com/why-h...america-2013-5

Old 06-17-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
As another poster said, it depends on what you're looking for.

If you're looking for a big city, then Chicago or Philadelphia.
Chicago and Philadelphia would only be in my list if you set the population limit at 5 million plus at CSA. It might be cheap compared to let's say NYC and such but it's still pretty expensive.

IMO, it would be Minneapolis or Denver which are at 3.7 and 3.2 million.

Quote:
Originally Posted by countofmc View Post
San Diego. IMO you get the best of California coastal living at a much lower COL than LA or SF, plus better weather than those 2.
A lot of urbanites call San Deigo boring and a lot of people think it's too expensive for what it offers. So I don't think you will get much support there.

But hey to each their own I guess.

Old 06-17-2013, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
[b]Take that, you Houston naysayers! In a love letter that the mayor, the chamber of commerce and most citizens will treasure, Business Insider declares that Houston is the Best City in America and offers up 17 compelling reasons why.
Your entitled to your own opinion but I don't get what job creation, unemployment rate, cost of living, affordable housing, and Fortune 500 companies has to do with urban life. And your link doesn't work btw.

Old 06-17-2013, 04:14 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyuusr View Post
Your entitled to your own opinion but I don't get what job creation, unemployment rate, cost of living, affordable housing, and Fortune 500 companies has to do with urban life. And your link doesn't work btw.
That was never a prerequisite for the OP. Did you even bother to read what he/she said?

It is a commonly accepted notion that cities like Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, & even Chicago offer the most bang for your buck as far as large cities go.

Old 06-17-2013, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
That was never a prerequisite for the OP. Did you even bother to read what he/she said?
Did bother reading the title? Most "bang" for you buck usually means the most urban life/fun things to do.

The thread doesn't say "most affordable city" or "city with the lowest unemployment rate" now does it? If we are asking that there are far more affordable and lower unemployment rate cities out there than Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.