Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 04:22 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyuusr View Post
Did bother reading the title? Most "bang" for you buck usually means the most urban life/things to do. The thread doesn't say "most affordable city" now does it? If we are asking that there are far more affordable cities out there than Houston.
If you can't find things to do in America's 4th largest city you are a boring person to begin with.

The possibilities in Houston are endless.

Sure you can't hike or snow board, but you can do just about everything else under the sun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 04:25 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Quote:
Did bother reading the title? Most "bang" for you buck usually means the most urban life/fun things to do. The thread doesn't say "most affordable city" now does it? If we are asking that there are far more affordable cities out there than Houston.
Umm...bang for your buck can mean different things to different people. Personally if I were to name best bang for your buck cities, Dallas and Houston would be number one and two on the list closely followed by Atlanta.

Personally, I have to have a large amount of ethnic diversity/multiculturalism, excellent food options and variety, and super cheap housing. For my requirements, those three do it best. I could care less about having a walkable downtown or great public transit because Im a suburban creature, yet even then Dallas and Atlanta dont do too bad there. Houston does poorly on walkablility, but I could care less. I would like to have more outdoor activity options, but its not a must. Other than that, I think those are pretty great.

Old 06-17-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
When you use rhetoric like that, you sound like a PR robot devoid of human characteristics.

Old 06-17-2013, 04:32 PM

669 posts, read 914,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
If you can't find things to do in America's 4th largest city you are a boring person to begin with.

Sure you can't hike or snow board, but you can do just about everything else under the sun.
Yeah sure leave it up to imagination and city population for people with to find things to do. Nigeria and Bangladesh are more populated than any countries in Europe. Obviously means they are more fun right? With that simplistic mind I'm not surprised that you think Houston is so fun.

Last edited by yyuusr; 06-17-2013 at 04:47 PM..

Old 06-17-2013, 04:34 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Top 10 large metro areas with the lowest rent:
Top 10 metro areas with low rents - MSN Real Estate

Going by this list it's definitely Denver.
That list was probably made circa 2007.

Denver metro apartment rents rise to all-time high in Q1 2013 - The Denver Post

Old 06-17-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Umm...bang for your buck can mean different things to different people. Personally if I were to name best bang for your buck cities, Dallas and Houston would be number one and two on the list closely followed by Atlanta.

Personally, I have to have a large amount of ethnic diversity/multiculturalism, excellent food options and variety, and super cheap housing. For my requirements, those three do it best. I could care less about having a walkable downtown or great public transit because Im a suburban creature, yet even then Dallas and Atlanta dont do too bad there. Houston does poorly on walkablility, but I could care less. I would like to have more outdoor activity options, but its not a must. Other than that, I think those are pretty great.
Yeah and most people in here are not. In case you haven't hung around here long enough to notice suburban cities are some of the most disliked cities in here. And yes most people think of urban cities when they think of "bang" not suburban houses.

Obviously if you prefer that lifestyle that's up to you and I said that your entitled to your opinion. I just said that I disagree. I am not calming that it's an absolute fact unlike some people.

Old 06-17-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Yeah I can see why people are moving there like crazy. But still it's less expensive than places like Philadelphia or Chicago.

Old 06-17-2013, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Yeah and most people in here are not. In case you haven't hung around here long enough to notice suburban cities are some of the most disliked cities in here. And yes most people think of urban cities when they think of "bang" not suburban houses.

Obviously if you prefer that lifestyle that's up to you and I said that your entitled to your opinion. I just said that I disagree. I am not calming that it's an absolute fact unlike some people.
Ive been around here a lot longer than you have my friend and yes Im well aware that suburban cities are not real well liked. According to your location, youre in Orlando. I cant imagine you would be very happy there given your views on suburban cities. I like Orlando pretty well.

I do completely disagree that most people think of urban cities when they think of the term "bang for your buck". Most urban cities are very expensive. It hard to get bang for your buck living in Manhattan, Beacon Hill, Lincoln Park, or Nob Hill. Even living in the burbs of NYC, Chicago, Boston, DC, San Fran, etc. is super expensive and offers no bang for the buck. Those cities are all wonderful, but economic they arent.

Bang for your buck tends to come from cities that are suburban. Places where you can get most city ammenities, but pay a lot less for them. Thats where places like Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta fit in.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Ive been around here a lot longer than you have my friend and yes Im well aware that suburban cities are not real well liked. According to your location, youre in Orlando. I cant imagine you would be very happy there given your views on suburban cities. I like Orlando pretty well.

I do completely disagree that most people think of urban cities when they think of the term "bang for your buck". Most urban cities are very expensive. It hard to get bang for your buck living in Manhattan, Beacon Hill, Lincoln Park, or Nob Hill. Even living in the burbs of NYC, Chicago, Boston, DC, San Fran, etc. is super expensive and offers no bang for the buck. Those cities are all wonderful, but economic they arent.

Bang for your buck tends to come from cities that are suburban. Places where you can get most city ammenities, but pay a lot less for them. Thats where places like Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta fit in.
Yes, I get bored of the just the theme park based fun in Orlando something which I have stated before. That's why I'm planning to move in the future. But neither me or anybody else here brought up Orlando so I don't get the point of discussing that.

If you have hung around here long enough to notice that then it should be clear just by the results of the city vs. city threads itself that most people in here prefer urban cities no matter what. Hell even by the suburb population of the US you can tell that people prefer urban core cities than they do over suburban ones. That's why usually the urban ones are more populated.

So if most people in general prefer more urban cities that would obviously mean they would also prefer a cheap city or suburbs with a bit of an urban life going on in it even if it costs a little extra. Not that Houston, Dallas, or Atlanta don't offer that but just not enough imo. Bringing NYC into this is pointless because that doesn't really meet the criteria. But I can guarantee that if there was an option of living in a cheaper city more like NYC then Houston most people looking for fun will pick the first even if it costs a little extra. That's why NYC is the most populated city in the country and not Houston. People don't usually look for suburban things when thinking of fun because they are everywhere. If that were the case the most visited city would be something like Jacksonville.

I think most people would agree that Houston and Dallas attracts people because of it's jobs/suburban lifestyle and not for it's "bang." Not that there is anything wrong with it if some people out there actually prefer that but I just think that it's all that great in the fun department. Maybe that means a totally different thing to you so you are welcome to disagree. But yes I would say suburban is definitely not what most people mean when they say fun.

Last edited by yyuusr; 06-17-2013 at 06:09 PM..

Old 06-19-2013, 03:42 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,578,016 times
Chicago. A distant first. There's just too much to do and above adequate transportation to do it at comparable costs to quieter cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.