U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2013, 11:50 PM
TD* TD* started this thread

1,518 posts, read 3,130,182 times

Advertisements

Yea im seeking sustainable, great outdoors, great food, liberals, the same thing most people want.

I have the cash now i just dont know where i should go.. I have visited Denver several times, and liked it.

I cant decide between Austin, Boulder, Portland, San Fran, Seattle, Boston, Charlotte, Raleigh Durham, And a few others...

Im really into rail based transit and recently visited Portland and loved it.

Ive been to San fran as well and love it.

I dont know where to go.

Confused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 09:12 AM

14,035 posts, read 20,355,620 times
Default If I had plenty of money

Russian Hill in San Francisco on the cable car line.

For example 2335 Hyde St # 1, San Francisco, CA 94109 - Zillow

Old 06-17-2013, 10:37 AM

20,907 posts, read 39,189,628 times
Love that place in SF, CA which is where I'd be if I had the resources to do so.

Too many cities on the OP's list to discuss here, so moving this to General USA so the larger audience can have a shot at it.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:05 AM
TD* TD* started this thread

1,518 posts, read 3,130,182 times
yea... where should i go?

Old 06-17-2013, 11:22 AM

2,907 posts, read 4,924,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD* View Post
Yea im seeking sustainable, great outdoors, great food, liberals, the same thing most people want.

I have the cash now i just dont know where i should go.. I have visited Denver several times, and liked it.

I cant decide between Austin, Boulder, Portland, San Fran, Seattle, Boston, Charlotte, Raleigh Durham, And a few others...

Im really into rail based transit and recently visited Portland and loved it.

Ive been to San fran as well and love it.

I dont know where to go.

Confused.
If money is no object I would start with weather -- all of the places you list offer VERY different weather. I am from SF, spent 13 years in and around Boulder, live in Austin and spent a great deal of time in all the rest except Charlotte. They are very different climate-wise!

Additionally, what you want as far as proximity to recreational activites and big, cosmopolitain cities nearby (25, 200, 300 miles away)?

Personal commentary as follows:

SF, Boston, Seattle = Cosmopolitan, BIG cites with a lot to offer nearby and far as far a places to visit/play. Liberal. If mountains are really important, clearly SF ties with Sierra access and Seattle with BC so close. Those are hills you got there, east coasters... sorry Boston. SF-proper = cool, foggy summers, rest of Bay Area pretty much perfect year round. Snow is only three hours away. It offers it all.

Rain and clouds = Seattle and Portland. My mother hates heat, loves overcast days. She could only stomach Portland for one year even though she found it so pretty. "The gloom is just too much." Perfect if you can deal and thrive with/in it 80% of the year. Both cites are so pretty though. I would choose Seattle over Portland if money is not a consideration for it's beauty, size and access to Canada.

Charlotte is small and from just passing through many times, and the area surrounding it, doesn't compare to the others in the way of access to recreational activities and cosmopolitan cities. Liberal in the way I think you are wanting? Um no, not compared to other cites on your list.

Raleigh = nice. Not a big city, not cosmopolitan, but nice for it's size. OBX are great! Not as easliy accesiable as most think though. Humid. Can't comment on how far that liberal mindset you are seeking extends there... guessing not far. Food? Can't compare with some of the others.

Denver/Boulder. Considering I've lived here 13 years and was raised in the SF bay area and spent summers in Boston and now live in Austin I will (quite subjectively) say that it's pretty great for all the things that make the area famous. I much prefer it over Austin, that's for sure. Cons: landlocked and no ocean -- a biggie for some. No other big cities within driving distance. Not a ton of trees and lushness. Spring comes very late - on average -- to the Rockies, cabin fever from the cold while it's mild in April everywhere in the country is common. Still beautiful and worth it for many. I would move back in an instant.

Austin = cool city that is a media darling for economy, jobs, live music and "hipness". It's still NOT a big city. Outside of Austin it is TEXAS people. I am not a liberal (nor a conservative) but I am still shocked after two years how conservative this place is. As in, a good number of people think the government is seriously coming for their guns so they are "stocking up" right now like crazy. I'll leave it at that. The heat is oppressive; three months staight of 100 or higher. 5 months straight of 90 or higher. Lastly, there are four big cites in TX and NOTHING anywhere else for 800 miles. There are 5 worthwhile recreational day trips/weekend trips and that's IT. The people here will argue that but that's because they've grown up here and spent very little time elsewhere. When you come from places like CO and CA, and there are 100s of place to visit on a daytrip/weekend trip, your measuring stick is a lot different.

Liberal, food, outdoor access, access to other cites = SF (mountains and ocean), Boston (ocean) or Seattle (mountains and ocean). MUCH Smaller, not as many food options but super mountain recreational options (but landlocked and in an isolated part of the country) Boulder.

Old 06-17-2013, 04:01 PM

8,488 posts, read 17,942,663 times
Quote:
yea... where should i go?
Quote:
Tallahassee.
Quote:
Tallahassee is a good choice.
Quote:
Check out Tallahassee.
Quote:
Tallahassee
Quote:
move to Tallahassee instead.
Quote:
Tallahassee is better for Families.
Quote:
Tallahassee
Quote:
Tallahassee
Quote:
Check out Tallahassee.
filla

Old 06-17-2013, 04:23 PM

9,519 posts, read 13,450,329 times
Boston is the best in that list but NYC is the best overall. No contest really.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:13 PM

1,704 posts, read 2,763,860 times
If rail is important to you, your best options are Portland and Seattle.
Not sure why you would have that last of possible cities and not be looking at Minneapolis as well.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:20 PM

18,100 posts, read 22,968,690 times
Holy God! You're all over the map. Quite literally.

Just travel from one to another for a year at a time, if money is no object.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.