U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 12:54 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,040,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Agreed but it's really the Research Triangle Park in particular. The Research Triangle refers to the entire metro.
Right - RTP, as the locals say. It's one of the biggest and oldest (started in the early 60's, I think). The idea was to give workers a green, campus-like setting - not a stretch of the imagination, given that Duke, NC State, UNC, NC Central and other universities were nearby.
I worked at several locations in RTP in the 90's. While I appreciated the concept underlying the master plan, I thought it was a dismal place to work: no public transit access, getting off campus at lunch for a meal/errands was a chore, and traffic grew steadily worse. Employers can make their statements with spiffy collections of buildings that, to be fair, might not be feasible to construct anywhere else. But as an employee, I never looked forward to driving through the grounds, negotiating the parking garage, eating in the company cafeteria, etc. etc. A far cry from when I worked in a city and could walk outside my building and be in the middle of everything.
The RTP's low density also (again, just my opinion, but I bet I'd be backed up on this) is a reason why light rail has been proposed unsuccessfully many times for the Triangle (Durham, Raleigh, Chapel Hill, Cary). It's got to be frustrating, knowing that you have 50,000 or so potential public transit users but they're so spread out that, barring employer shuttles from train stations, the places they work are effectively inaccessible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 07:12 PM

309 posts, read 598,032 times
Bellevue, Washington
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.