U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 09:38 AM

170 posts, read 202,126 times

Advertisements

I like Ohio's varieties but have no problem with plain plates. Here in California they're just white plain plates that say California across the top in red scribbling, nothing wild or anything. I'd prefer some long plate that has the state abbreviation before the registration information it would be something new and different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 10:22 AM

12,652 posts, read 10,497,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
NY just came out with new orange and blue plates and they are hideous! They arent mandatory for all cars. I have an old car so I still have the older model plate on mine with the skyline you are referencing. We used to have ones with a red Statue of Liberty on it, which, heh, technically is in Jersey's waters. Shhhh
I know I don't like those new ones, either, the orange is so ugly! Yes I know the Statue is in Jersey waters Whatever!

Old 06-18-2013, 10:23 AM

12,652 posts, read 10,497,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
You've got to be kidding. The new NY plates are the most hideous looking plates out of all the 50 states and territories. I haven't met a single person who prefers the new plates compared to the old ones.
What? I was talking about New Jersey's license plates.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:28 AM

34,682 posts, read 33,681,492 times
This reminds me of the federal government telling the states to tell the cities and towns to change all of their street signs so they aren't all capital letters.

For what reason would we want to conform to Europe?

Old 06-18-2013, 10:30 AM

1,704 posts, read 2,762,345 times
I actually quite like the new Ohio plates.
I also really love the size and shape of European plates and I'd be very interested to see how North America would play with those dimensions.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:08 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,241,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
This reminds me of the federal government telling the states to tell the cities and towns to change all of their street signs so they aren't all capital letters.

For what reason would we want to conform to Europe?
Street signs are easier to read quickly and accurately if not all in capitals. TRY READING THIS, WHICH IS ALL IN CAPS, SEE IF YOU THINK IT IMPROVES READABILITY AND COMPREHENSION.

S. MIDDLETOWN RD.
S. Middletown Rd.
See? A longer word fits on a shorter sign if not in caps, and is easier to read.

There is a reason for standards, and it is reasonable to expect that motorists traveling from one state to another will have predictable standard. How wold you like if you want on a trip, and in some states Stop signs are round and blue, and green lights mean stop and yellow lights mean go, and traffic drives on the left.

Nobody says we want to conform to Europe. About half of all American drivers now have 7-digit license plates, and and they are much less legible because they have to be packed into too short a space. More cars = more license numbers = more digits required = more space needed = longer plates desirable.

Imagine you are a state cop. Which of these numbers is easier to read?

http://www.olavsplates.com/foto_i/i_aa120we.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ense_Plate.jpg
If you're not convinced, stand back about 6 feet from your screen and try them again. Drug dealers are now actually plating their cars in Indiana, because the numbers are too hard to read.

Do you think it was a good idea to "conform to Europe" taking the dimmer switch off the floor next to the brakes, and putting it on the steering column, or did you raise holy hell about moving the dimmer switch to "conform to Europe"?

Last edited by jtur88; 06-18-2013 at 12:35 PM..

Old 06-18-2013, 02:56 PM

44,738 posts, read 36,145,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Standardization is in the size and shape, not the design. The current USA standard is too small to accommodate enough digits. Even seven digits are hard to read on the USA standard license plate size. Using the 20-inch Euro format, there would be no legibility problem with 8 or 9 or even 10 digits. That would allow each state to have a 2-letter state code and up to 7 or 8 digits as the unique ID number, without crowding illegibility.

Americans would still insist on having pretty pictures and catchy slogans on the license plates, that's the way Americans are. Shamelessly and commercially promoting the state takes priority over identifying the car.
I do believe that we can manage to have unique license plates AND identify the car. Europe doesn't do everything better, just for the record. And I'd be willing to bet that most Americans do prefer plates that show the uniqueness of their state.

It's not like we couldn't make the tags longer AND keep something unique on them for each state.

Old 06-18-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I do believe that we can manage to have unique license plates AND identify the car. Europe doesn't do everything better, just for the record. And I'd be willing to bet that most Americans do prefer plates that show the uniqueness of their state.

It's not like we couldn't make the tags longer AND keep something unique on them for each state.
OK, so you agree that they could be made longer. And all the states and provinces have already agreed to have their plates exactly the same standard size and shape. So why do you think that 20 x 4.5 inches should NOT be the agreed-upon size? Just out of spite, to rub Europe's nose in it, and show that America DOES do everything better. including license plates?

Old 06-18-2013, 04:30 PM

44,738 posts, read 36,145,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
OK, so you agree that they could be made longer. And all the states and provinces have already agreed to have their plates exactly the same standard size and shape. So why do you think that 20 x 4.5 inches should NOT be the agreed-upon size? Just out of spite, to rub Europe's nose in it, and show that America DOES do everything better. including license plates?
I personally don't care what size license plates are in Europe, and wouldn't base a decision for or against a particular style or design on "what they're doing in Europe." The point should be FUNCTION - not aligning oneself "with or against" Europe.

I am all for functionality AND individual states' expressions. I think we can have both. That's what I said the first go round as well.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I personally don't care what size license plates are in Europe, and wouldn't base a decision for or against a particular style or design on "what they're doing in Europe." The point should be FUNCTION - not aligning oneself "with or against" Europe.

I am all for functionality AND individual states' expressions. I think we can have both. That's what I said the first go round as well.
But you seemed to think that 20 x 4.5 would be a very bad size, even though every carmaker in the world already makes cars with a bracket that size where the license plate goes. And your only reason for objecting to that particular size has nothing whatsoever to do with function.

Just to be clear, tell me if you are for or against standardized plate sizes (as we have now) for all US states, and Canada and Mexico, which the states themselves have voluntarily agreed upon -- is that a good idea, or a bad idea?

I suppose you also think foot-pounds measurements are difficult and inconvenient, and we should change to some more practical measurements that are easier to learn and calculate, but not the Metric System, because then we would just be doing what Europe does. and not everything they do is rightl.

Last edited by jtur88; 06-18-2013 at 05:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.