Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 05:28 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
But you seemed to think that 20 x 4.5 would be a very bad size, even though every carmaker in the world already makes cars with a bracket that size where the license plate goes. And your only reason for objecting to that particular size has nothing whatsoever to do with function.

Just to be clear, tell me if you are for or against standardized plate sizes (as we have now) for all US states, and Canada and Mexico, which the states themselves have voluntarily agreed upon -- is that a good idea, or a bad idea?

I suppose you also think foot-pounds measurements are difficult and inconvenient, and we should change to some more practical measurements that are easier to learn and calculate, but not the Metric System, because then we would just be doing what Europe does. and not everything they do is rightl.
I never objected to any particular size of license plate. And personally I don't care if Europeans measure things in feet, or meters, or pounds, or stones. Having lived in and traveled extensively throughout Europe, I have no problem calculating things via different measurements. For instance, it's currently 25 degrees celcius where I live.

My point, which you seem to have entirely missed, is that if we need to, we can increase the size of our licence plates AND STILL give the states the option to continue to personalize those plates. We don't have to limit ourselves to plain white plates, or, heaven forbid, those awful yellow UK plates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 09:59 PM

103 posts, read 159,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
We don't have to limit ourselves to plain white plates, or, heaven forbid, those awful yellow UK plates.
I personally find them much more charming and timeless than the silly cheapo American designs you see now. We used to have a little more class with simple license plates back in the 60s and 70s. But now just take a look at Indiana's latest "bicentennial" plates as Exhibit A in the latest sad state of affairs. The design looks like it was made using clip art on Microsoft Word '97. Their old white on blue plate with the state seal was much nicer.

It is also far past time that those of us with European-designed cars have the OPTION of a plate that actually fits properly on the car. Those who drive cars built exclusively for American roads can still use the traditional plate dimensions.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:34 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zizu View Post
I personally find them much more charming and timeless than the silly cheapo American designs you see now. We used to have a little more class with simple license plates back in the 60s and 70s. But now just take a look at Indiana's latest "bicentennial" plates as Exhibit A in the latest sad state of affairs. The design looks like it was made using clip art on Microsoft Word '97. Their old white on blue plate with the state seal was much nicer.

It is also far past time that those of us with European-designed cars have the OPTION of a plate that actually fits properly on the car. Those who drive cars built exclusively for American roads can still use the traditional plate dimensions.
I agree, I much prefer simple plates. NJ, CT, MA, VT, CA, PA, etc have achieved this while states like OH, AZ, SC, MD, and more have concepts that are busier and sometimes just awful (see Ohio).

Old 07-26-2013, 09:57 AM

798 posts, read 1,034,146 times
A lot of states seem to be getting simpler anyway. Texas now just has a star in the upper left-hand corner and the shape of the state between the digits. Georgia seems have done something similar. Personally, I don't see the need to have a decked out license plate. The importance of it is so that your car can be identified. If you want something special, paint some flames on the side of your car or something.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:00 AM

1,512 posts, read 2,363,845 times
As long as I don't have to operate the vehicle from the right side, I'm cool with it.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:55 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,969,062 times
Some of you guys have no imagination. You can identify a car and have it look nice at the same time.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:55 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySwelly View Post
A lot of states seem to be getting simpler anyway. Texas now just has a star in the upper left-hand corner and the shape of the state between the digits. Georgia seems have done something similar. Personally, I don't see the need to have a decked out license plate. The importance of it is so that your car can be identified. If you want something special, paint some flames on the side of your car or something.
You would like the look of Ohios new bland and boring plates.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:40 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,894,149 times
I prefer the way they are now they are a hundred times more unique... The European plates are ugly AF

Old 08-02-2013, 09:16 PM

42 posts, read 57,740 times
We should go super future-proof! European length, US height. Enough to fit the entire VIN number or (soon to be) IPV6 address, plus a small mural plugging your state's real estate.

Old 08-03-2013, 05:22 AM

793 posts, read 1,111,769 times
I hope not, I love my Oklahoma plate!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.