U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 01:59 PM

2,816 posts, read 5,385,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
They are visible
Small plates, skinny numbers and kitsch decor overkill don't make for great readability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 04:11 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,241,442 times
Quote:
Texas is the worst, the new GA ones are my favorite now. at first i wasn't sure but i started seeing a few on the road and i like them
Can somebody link to a picture of the new Georgia plate? I searched Google Image, and can't find one.

Just about the only thing the Texas government has done in the past few years that I'm proud of was to clean up those stupid license plates.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:23 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,710,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Stranger View Post
Small plates, skinny numbers and kitsch decor overkill don't make for great readability.
So why can i read them perfectly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Can somebody link to a picture of the new Georgia plate? I searched Google Image, and can't find one.

Just about the only thing the Texas government has done in the past few years that I'm proud of was to clean up those stupid license plates.
http://gallivance.files.wordpress.co...06/ga-tag1.jpg

Old 03-07-2014, 09:42 PM

If your state's plates are not gaudy enough, there is plenty of space on the back of your car to put all the pretty pictures you want, plus bumper stickers to plug all of your state's high-profit tourist attractions. And a license plate frame, with flashing colored lights swirling around it. Knock yourself out. But don't demand that I make the same embarrassing display on the back of my car.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:57 PM

Quote:
If your state's plates are not gaudy enough, there is plenty of space on the back of your car to put all the pretty pictures you want, plus bumper stickers to plug all of your state's high-profit tourist attractions. And a license plate frame, with flashing colored lights swirling around it. Knock yourself out. But don't demand that I make the same embarrassing display on the back of my car.
In European countries you usually only have one design to choose from, you are forced to put the boring bland plate on your car. What i like about our plates is that American states have all these different options... sports teams, schools, charities, etc...

Old 03-08-2014, 08:11 AM

2,816 posts, read 5,385,565 times
Quote:
In European countries you usually only have one design to choose from, you are forced to put the boring bland plate on your car. What i like about our plates is that American states have all these different options... sports teams, schools, charities, etc...
You're free to decorate the rest of your vehicle as you see fit, with allusions to your personal sports team or even naked women if that's your thing. Number plates are functional.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Stranger View Post
You're free to decorate the rest of your vehicle as you see fit, with allusions to your personal sports team or even naked women if that's your thing. Number plates are functional.
What does decorating my vehicle have to do with anything? we're talking about license plates

Old 03-08-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Yeah, well guess what? You're also forced to put boring wheels and boring mirrors and boring lights and boring horns on your car. Which is better than being forced to put rainbow-colored wheels or polka-dot mirrors or purple and orange striped headlights on your car or horns that play "Dixie". Or political slogans that you disagree with. If you want a 6-foot wide long-horned steer hood ornament, fine, but don't force me to.

Yes, most states have every option except one: A plain white rectangle with the name of the state and a registration number in contrasting color. Very few states offer that option. Texas does, which I'm very proud of. And they don't even charge extra for it.

Last edited by jtur88; 03-08-2014 at 10:22 AM..

Old 11-17-2015, 12:10 PM

5,662 posts, read 3,643,856 times
Quote:
In early 2012, Puerto Rico started issuing auto license plates in the European style and size, which are optional for people whose cars have plate brackets to fit Euro-style:

http://i.imgur.com/87uJN.jpg

As far as I know, no state or Canadian province has done this, but maybe it is a sign of things to come, as the world become more standardized. Currently, automakers in Europe and Asia have to retool and stamp body components for export models, specially designed to accommodate USA shaped license plates, which often requires repositioning lights, key locks, etc, on the rear of the car.
Forgive me for resurrecting an old thread, but I wonder if anything further has come of this. Does anyone know if there are any thoughts of going toward a European-style license plate?

I used to really dislike the Euro plates, but I'm starting to see their main benefit: you can put 9 or 10 characters on them, without scrunching them up or stacking the letters or otherwise making them hard to read. And as our population continues to grow, more and more states are going to need more characters on their plates.

How's this for a compromise: have TWO styles of plates, one for the front of the car and the other for the rear. The rear one would be the same height as it is now, but add two inches to its width, so that there could be at least 8 characters. States could continue to decorate them to their heart's content (though I've really come to appreciate the "plain" black and white Texas plates, because I find them so easy to read). The front plate would have the dimensions of the European plates, and would contain the same numbers as the back one, but the state would be identified only by a small state flag and the two-letter state code on one side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.