Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 09:57 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,882,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
In early 2012, Puerto Rico started issuing auto license plates in the European style and size, which are optional for people whose cars have plate brackets to fit Euro-style:

http://i.imgur.com/87uJN.jpg

As far as I know, no state or Canadian province has done this, but maybe it is a sign of things to come, as the world become more standardized. Currently, automakers in Europe and Asia have to retool and stamp body components for export models, specially designed to accommodate USA shaped license plates, which often requires repositioning lights, key locks, etc, on the rear of the car.
I hope not, I really don't like European style plates. They're hard to read/decipher, IMO. It would be difficult to do this for 50 states - hard for cops to see I'd imagine. Half the time you wouldn't know what you're looking at unless you're up close. So many states' plates now are easy to tell apart, unique, and colorful. I know from a distance who I'm looking at based on license plates, especially ones I most frequently see throughout NJ, and there are a lot. The European ones? I'd be so confused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 10:06 PM

12,769 posts, read 18,268,562 times
Theres not much originality in the European plates. They all look the same... Boring! I love that America personalizes our plates for each state. Like my state (NY) has a lil NY in the middle and it says "empire state". Each state is so different, love it!

Old 06-17-2013, 10:38 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,882,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Theres not much originality in the European plates. They all look the same... Boring! I love that America personalizes our plates for each state. Like my state (NY) has a lil NY in the middle and it says "empire state". Each state is so different, love it!
Exactly. NJ's has a little NJ within it, too, and I like the gradient of the color in our plates. The yellow is okay, but at least it's a neutral color and looks good on most car colors.

Some states really go all out, with scenery (NY's older blue plates as I'm sure you know had that… Niagara Falls and the skyline I believe?) and bright colors. Makes for a much more interesting "license plate game" on long car trips.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:46 AM

67,666 posts, read 60,218,081 times
I don't see any point or positive reason for us to change to a more European style plate. I think they're boring as heck, and I SURE wouldn't want to switch to those very ugly YELLOW UK plates. BLECH.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:34 AM

12,769 posts, read 18,268,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Exactly. NJ's has a little NJ within it, too, and I like the gradient of the color in our plates. The yellow is okay, but at least it's a neutral color and looks good on most car colors.

Some states really go all out, with scenery (NY's older blue plates as I'm sure you know had that… Niagara Falls and the skyline I believe?) and bright colors. Makes for a much more interesting "license plate game" on long car trips.
NY just came out with new orange and blue plates and they are hideous! They arent mandatory for all cars. I have an old car so I still have the older model plate on mine with the skyline you are referencing. We used to have ones with a red Statue of Liberty on it, which, heh, technically is in Jersey's waters. Shhhh

Old 06-18-2013, 07:36 AM

5,425 posts, read 5,650,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
You've got to be kidding. The new NY plates are the most hideous looking plates out of all the 50 states and territories. I haven't met a single person who prefers the new plates compared to the old ones.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:34 AM

42,618 posts, read 86,585,093 times
Standardization is in the size and shape, not the design. The current USA standard is too small to accommodate enough digits. Even seven digits are hard to read on the USA standard license plate size. Using the 20-inch Euro format, there would be no legibility problem with 8 or 9 or even 10 digits. That would allow each state to have a 2-letter state code and up to 7 or 8 digits as the unique ID number, without crowding illegibility.

Americans would still insist on having pretty pictures and catchy slogans on the license plates, that's the way Americans are. Shamelessly and commercially promoting the state takes priority over identifying the car.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:41 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,128,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I've noticed Ohio has made their license plates recently very ugly and plain.
Oh yeah, and Ohio seems to change the look of their plates every year, which makes spotting an Ohio plate increasingly difficult to do! I have lived in Ohio for over 6 years of my life now, and in those 6 years I can think of at least 5 different plate designs used for the STANDARD state plates (not the Environmental or other custom plates)!

Old 06-18-2013, 10:07 AM

178 posts, read 428,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I agree, Brazil's looks good. But yeah, Ohio seems to have pushed out quite a few different looking plates, and each one is looking wider and shorter than the last. Eh, well not like you're going to be looking at it all day

Old 06-18-2013, 10:07 AM

3,638 posts, read 4,769,766 times
We don't need to copy the euro look. I don't see it happening. And as far as the companies nedeing retooling. Like it's a big issue anyway. Let this side of the world keep the plates that cars over here are designed to take. I personally think my truck would look stupid as hell with some long skinny plate that wont fit in the tag slot on the step bumper. Keep those stupid looking things on the other side of the ocean!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.