Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2015, 09:16 PM

4 posts, read 15,790 times

Advertisements

We are a couple in our early forties. From Northern New Jersey NYC Metro Area. We have had it. Kids are grown, one moved away to VT the other getting married and staying in Jersey.

I would ADORE some suggestions from the fine folks of this here peanut gallery

Some Criteria:

I like long days lots of sun and lower humidity
That doesn't mean it can't get cold, but I do need the sunshine, I hate many gray days in a row!

I want to grow food.
Here in Jersey I grow figs tomatoes peaches pears strawberries cucumber herbs etc

We are living small now (500 sq ft living space) and have four dogs.
We plan to live in a relatively small home but want more outdoor room for the dogs.

We are moving from jersey so we are sick of people on top of us.
We want to have room to breathe and slow down.

My husband is a specialized hospital technician and clinical instructor so relocation is relatively easy, however, there needs to be a major hospital, teaching hospital or University Hospital within 20-30 minutes.

Beauty. I am an earthling. I want to see, touch and feel the earth, and admire the gifts.
We also like fishing, hunting, and homesteading. We are scrappy.

lol.

Please give me some suggestions, tell me about it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 05:41 AM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
If you can deal with 2 to 3 months of humidity (with a few weeks of what might be considered high humidity in July-August) I would recommend the Durham-Chapel Hill area in North Carolina. It's a beautiful area with a lot to offer in terms of things to do, has reasonable real estate prices, has very fertile growing conditions/long growing season with a moderate four season climate minus the extremes (except for a few hot weeks of summer) and a few excellent work options for your husband with Duke University Medical Center, University of North Carolina Hospital, Durham Regional Medical Center and the Durham VA Hospital all within close proximity. Smaller towns in the area such as Pittsboro, Mebane, Saxapahaw, Hillsborough and Efland are surprisingly sophisticated (not backwoods-ish) and offer a good bit of what you would be looking for not far from potential employers

Old 11-17-2015, 07:11 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,794,827 times
Sounds like somewhere West is for you.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:58 AM

4,666 posts, read 5,093,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygirl4now View Post
We are a couple in our early forties. From Northern New Jersey NYC Metro Area. We have had it. Kids are grown, one moved away to VT the other getting married and staying in Jersey.

I would ADORE some suggestions from the fine folks of this here peanut gallery

Some Criteria:

I like long days lots of sun and lower humidity
That doesn't mean it can't get cold, but I do need the sunshine, I hate many gray days in a row!

I want to grow food.
Here in Jersey I grow figs tomatoes peaches pears strawberries cucumber herbs etc

We are living small now (500 sq ft living space) and have four dogs.
We plan to live in a relatively small home but want more outdoor room for the dogs.

We are moving from jersey so we are sick of people on top of us.
We want to have room to breathe and slow down.

My husband is a specialized hospital technician and clinical instructor so relocation is relatively easy, however, there needs to be a major hospital, teaching hospital or University Hospital within 20-30 minutes.

Beauty. I am an earthling. I want to see, touch and feel the earth, and admire the gifts.
We also like fishing, hunting, and homesteading. We are scrappy.

lol.

Please give me some suggestions, tell me about it!
I have multiple suggestions...
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Denver, Colorado
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Las Vegas, Nevada
San Antonio, Texas
Phoenix, Arizona
Tucson, Arizona
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Somewhere between Lincoln and Omaha
Salt Lake City-Provo, Utah area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.