U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 06:31 PM

12,521 posts, read 23,132,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTesla35 View Post
I think any city with a huge beltway around it like Atlanta and Houston is kind of missing personality. Both of those were probably cool back in the day.
Houston has a funky vibe due to its lax zoning regulations.

Where else in the US can you see fully nude bars & head shops coexisting next door to churches?

No where.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 06:41 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,270,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post

Where else in the US can you see fully nude bars & head shops coexisting next door to churches?

No where.
Not in Houston either.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:08 PM

12,521 posts, read 23,132,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Not in Houston either.
BS

There are no city or county ordinances what so ever in Houston preventing a strip club from opening up next door to a church.

Houston is the largest city in the US without zoning. Certain historical neighborhoods have deed restrictions (similar to HOA's) protecting them, but that's it. This is why uninformed people often confuse Houston's outward appearance as being ramshackled looking. You've literally got multi-million dollar mansions across the railroad tracks from hoods.

It has been brought up numerous times & every single time the citizens vote it down. They don't want a government body telling them what they can open up or where they can open it up or when to cut the grass.

Houston is a free for all, laissez-faire type city.

End of discussion.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 06-18-2013 at 07:25 PM..

Old 06-18-2013, 07:15 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,448,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Most likely for work, education, and a more affordable area to live. Certainly not for any eclectic personality, natural beauty, or any special character. There are some remarkable colleges and universities in the area, but the topography is boring, downtown is mediocre, and amenities are pretty much like any other medium sized metro. I have family living in the Raleigh area and I've been several times. It's a nice place for families to live, but to visit Raleigh is pretty dull. The only place that stands out for me is Chapel Hill, although it's quaint it's also pretty small. The topography is just a lot of woods and not much else.
The problem with posts that are this wrong is that the burden of the work falls on someone else to undo the damage.

So, characterless...

I would disagree with that. To me, it feels like a city that was much smaller for most of its history, but the people who live here now have a strong interest in keeping the historic blocks that it has. The effect downtown is interesting; it looks like a town of 60,000 maybe from the early 20th century with new buildings befitting a larger sort of city plopped in the middle of it.

Subjectively, downtown Raleigh feels like it has more than Chapel Hill at this point. I can think of more bars, restaurants (increasingly good ones), and music venues off the top of my mind that I'd like to go to, but I'm stuck working at UNC most of the time. In a strange twist of irony, ever since they reopened Fayetteville street as an actual street, I think it's been temporarily closed for festivals more often than it's been open for traffic. At least it feels that way, and this is bound to be subjective; I haven't been there in the past several months without seeing some kind of thing going on downtown. It's very obvious though that new things are opening constantly. It is true though that maybe just ten years ago, you would be right. I wouldn't call it characterless, or at least any more so than any other sunbelt city that grew a lot in the last three decades.

As for the preposterous remark that there's no natural scenery here (compared to what anyway? And what exactly is near Fort Worth?), that's relatively easy to dismiss. There are rivers and lakes, and the trees have the best autumn colors you can get. But there is something else--something many people outside NC don't know about. For the record, Austin TX is much further away from the mountains or the beach in its respective state, but nobody would ever describe it as 'lacking' in scenery, because of its proximity to the Hill Country. As it so happens, NC has its own 'hill country', situated in between all three of its Piedmont metros. It's called the Uwharrie Mountains, and they actually extend into the Triangle.

Uwharrie National Forest

Morrow Mountain State Park

Occoneechee Mountain--in Orange County

Occoneechee Mountain--from the top of the cliff

Old 06-18-2013, 08:19 PM

5,991 posts, read 8,328,114 times
Quote:
BS

There are no city or county ordinances what so ever in Houston preventing a strip club from opening up next door to a church.

Houston is the largest city in the US without zoning. Certain historical neighborhoods have deed restrictions (similar to HOA's) protecting them, but that's it. This is why uninformed people often confuse Houston's outward appearance as being ramshackled looking. You've literally got multi-million dollar mansions across the railroad tracks from hoods.

It has been brought up numerous times & every single time the citizens vote it down. They don't want a government body telling them what they can open up or where they can open it up or when to cut the grass.

Houston is a free for all, laissez-faire type city.

End of discussion.
So is it legal/possible in Houston to build a gargabe incinerator right next to a kids daycare, or SFH neighborhood? If so, why is that ideal? It sounds like your rights as a resident in Houston are zero and it leaves you susceptible to seriously declining property values (in the example above, anyways).

Old 06-18-2013, 08:21 PM

5,991 posts, read 8,328,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
The problem with posts that are this wrong is that the burden of the work falls on someone else to undo the damage.
It's JUST his opinion...not an absolute.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:26 PM

3,179 posts, read 3,856,228 times
I'm taking "personality" to mean individuality, or diversity of personalities, since everybody everywhere has a personality. Given that, I'd say Minneapolis, doesn't have much personality, though Duluth does; Columbus doesn't have much personality, but Cleveland and Cincinnati do. Bos-Wash cities all have great mixes of personality, but Charlotte doesn't. I've heard from people who lived there that Denver is somewhat lacking in personality.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:29 PM

985 posts, read 1,088,689 times
New Orleans has alot of personality

Old 06-18-2013, 08:36 PM

9,528 posts, read 13,473,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
So then what does that mean if everybody wants to move there?
Everyone is moving there bc it's cheap. That doesnt mean they want to or that they like it.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:38 PM

9,528 posts, read 13,473,636 times
Quote:

No where.
Fire Island NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.