U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 08:40 PM

9,813 posts, read 13,666,985 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised no one said NYC. There are so many different kinds of people in NY- it has such a huge personality and every area (village, midtown, soho etc) have their own big personalities within one large personality that is NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 09:40 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,306,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
BS

There are no city or county ordinances what so ever in Houston preventing a strip club from opening up next door to a church.

Houston is the largest city in the US without zoning. Certain historical neighborhoods have deed restrictions (similar to HOA's) protecting them, but that's it. This is why uninformed people often confuse Houston's outward appearance as being ramshackled looking. You've literally got multi-million dollar mansions across the railroad tracks from hoods.

It has been brought up numerous times & every single time the citizens vote it down. They don't want a government body telling them what they can open up or where they can open it up or when to cut the grass.

Houston is a free for all, laissez-faire type city.

End of discussion.
Okay, show one instance where a strip club exists next to a church...or even a bar, for that matter. Or, perhaps I can save you some time and remind you of when Woodrow's tried to open near the ballpark and the church across the street and was forced to close because it was within 100 feet of the church. You're right that there is no city-wide zoning, but there are city ordinances regarding sexually oriented businesses and alcohol establishments with regard to their proximity to churches.

In fact, Houston's restrictions on strip clubs are more strict than many places. Ask the the dance in pasty nipple covers next time you're in the club, tipping her from 3 ft. Away. Yes, I am aware that few observe the 3ft. Rule, but it still exists.

This is something Houston should be proud of. I find it odd that you would so proudly proclaim your misinformation.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:45 PM

13,467 posts, read 17,179,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTesla35 View Post
I'd say Augusta has more personality than Athens if we just talking about the downtown area. Athens just an old mill town with a big state college. Never saw what the big deal is. Augusta riverwalk is fairly vibrant at night. I actually think most people would rank Augusta over Columbus and Macon.

I'd say Greenville SC has the most personality of any southern city. It has the best downtown by far I think. Charleston is runner up. Columbia might be underrated.
You're insane ...

Old 06-18-2013, 09:54 PM

Quote:
BS

There are no city or county ordinances what so ever in Houston preventing a strip club from opening up next door to a church.

Houston is the largest city in the US without zoning. Certain historical neighborhoods have deed restrictions (similar to HOA's) protecting them, but that's it. This is why uninformed people often confuse Houston's outward appearance as being ramshackled looking. You've literally got multi-million dollar mansions across the railroad tracks from hoods.

It has been brought up numerous times & every single time the citizens vote it down. They don't want a government body telling them what they can open up or where they can open it up or when to cut the grass.

Houston is a free for all, laissez-faire type city.

End of discussion.
Another bit of reading for you:

Ruling puts Houston's strip clubs under gun again - Houston Chronicle

This is from 2008, when the city of Houston was successfully DEFENDING its ordinance that was being challenged by the strip clubs. Not only that, they intensified it and instated the 3ft. Rule. Once again, you show signs of having never lived in Houston.

Old 06-19-2013, 12:23 AM

12,521 posts, read 23,279,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
So is it legal/possible in Houston to build a gargabe incinerator right next to a kids daycare, or SFH neighborhood? If so, why is that ideal? It sounds like your rights as a resident in Houston are zero and it leaves you susceptible to seriously declining property values (in the example above, anyways).
Yes, there are petro chemical refineries next to daycares on the east side of town (least populated side).

Cancer from exposure to benzines is a serious issue over there.

Old 06-19-2013, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Okay, show one instance where a strip club exists next to a church...or even a bar, for that matter. Or, perhaps I can save you some time and remind you of when Woodrow's tried to open near the ballpark and the church across the street and was forced to close because it was within 100 feet of the church. You're right that there is no city-wide zoning, but there are city ordinances regarding sexually oriented businesses and alcohol establishments with regard to their proximity to churches.

In fact, Houston's restrictions on strip clubs are more strict than many places. Ask the the dance in pasty nipple covers next time you're in the club, tipping her from 3 ft. Away. Yes, I am aware that few observe the 3ft. Rule, but it still exists.

This is something Houston should be proud of. I find it odd that you would so proudly proclaim your misinformation.
Ask the Asian "massage" parlors all over town how they get by with staying in business.

I lived in Houston for 5 years btw (2003-2008). Its my home away from home I was just down there last week for a week & then another week 3 weeks before that.

Old 06-19-2013, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Ask the Asian "massage" parlors all over town how they get by with staying in business.

I lived in Houston for 5 years btw (2003-2008). Its my home away from home I was just down there last week for a week & then another week 3 weeks before that.
Show one instance where a strip club exists next to a church. I already debunked your claim that "no ordinance restricts them," which you have conveniently ignored. So, name one instance.

Old 06-19-2013, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Show one instance where a strip club exists next to a church. I already debunked your claim that "no ordinance restricts them," which you have conveniently ignored. So, name one instance.
City council overwhelmingly rejects all forms of zoning in keeping with Houston tradition.

"Reduce the size of government" they say. "Give those with less a chance". "Let the people decide how they want Houston to develop instead of government".

3. Question 1: Zoning Bill for Houston? - YouTube

Old 06-19-2013, 01:00 AM

Quote:
City council overwhelmingly rejects all forms of zoning in keeping with Houston tradition.

"Reduce the size of government" they say.

3. Question 1: Zoning Bill for Houston? - YouTube
Are you not understanding the question? Or, did you not read the article? Or, do you not understand the difference between zoning and other city ordinances?

You said there were strip clubs next to churches in Houston. You even strangely said it proudly.

Then, when I said there weren't, you replied, "BS".

So, show me one instance where there is a strip club next to a church.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:38 AM

166 posts, read 148,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
@DrTresla. Charleston isn't a runner-up to any S. Carolina city, absolutely none. It's pretty much in its own league in SC and Numero Uno in all these 5 criteria: charm, food, walkability, total attractions, fun. Greenville has done much with its downtown, true, but it's not in Charleston's league. Few cities in the South are. In Georgia, Augusta and Columbus have made great strides with their downtowns too, but both are light-years behind Savannah in the aforementioned criteria (all 5 of them).
Well I never compared Augusta to Savannah. Savannah obviously going to be the more tourist spot and it is similar to Charleston, with more trees. Usually when I talk about Charleston I kind of mean Savannah too.

I disagree with you that Charleston has more charm, walkabltlity, total attractions, fun than Greenville. I think Greenville's downtown is more walkable, more charming, as fun if not more. Charlesotn might have slight edge on food but not really, better seafood there. Greenville doesn't have all the tourists. I like the Liberty Bridge falls park better than anything in downtown Charleston. Charleston is kind of rundown looking compared to greenville in my opinoin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.