U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 04:24 PM

11,884 posts, read 10,383,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Newer, more transient places have less of an identifiable personality than older cities. Today, there are only a few cities that I think you could be dropped off in blindfolded and immediately know where you were when you take off the blindfolds. Those cities are:

-Seattle
-Portland
-San Francisco
-Los Angeles
-Austin
-New Orleans
-Denver
-New York
-Boston
-DC

Maybe for you. For other people this list and theory make no sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 04:48 PM

930 posts, read 1,284,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Dallas and Fort Worth sit side by side, but Dallas seems devoid of personality to me, while Fort Worth is brimming with character.
Very true. One bland, soulless city right next to a city brimming with character, energy and personality.

Old 06-20-2013, 04:49 PM

625 posts, read 1,024,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppingDFW View Post
Very true. One bland, soulless city right next to a city brimming with character, energy and personality.
Dallas has plenty of energy.

Old 06-20-2013, 04:50 PM

249 posts, read 373,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
Topeka is the most depressing and lifeless city I've ever been to.

Agreed. A wasteland without hope. Your soul goes into hibernation when you pass through and stay for even a few days. And I'm truly not being harsh here. Rundown neighborhoods as far as the eye can see, ...oh, I'll just stop there. No sense beating a dead horse.

Old 06-20-2013, 04:54 PM

249 posts, read 373,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Newer, more transient places have less of an identifiable personality than older cities. Today, there are only a few cities that I think you could be dropped off in blindfolded and immediately know where you were when you take off the blindfolds. Those cities are:

-Seattle
-Portland
-San Francisco
-Los Angeles
-Austin
-New Orleans
-Denver
-New York
-Boston
-DC

Chicago doesn't make the cut huh man? Curious man.. Not enough personality in its mid-western vibe?

Interesting. Anyone want to comment on the specific nature of the personality of the city of Chicago? Be interesting to hear.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:08 AM

1,314 posts, read 1,737,396 times
Right, for some reason Austin makes the list but Chicago does not. Makes no sense.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:37 AM

939 posts, read 2,829,451 times
I was in Chicago last week for a few days. The whole downtown area was an incredible sight to see. Great food and shopping. I love its public transportation network. The best I've used other than NYC, London, and Paris. I did not get to see any shows or experience the night life, but without a doubt, if I did, I would have a great time. I went to a few communities outside of downtown and I was not impressed.

Overall, Chicago did not leave an impression on me for a city of its grandeur, but it was unique in a good way.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:54 AM

13,403 posts, read 21,192,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppingDFW View Post
Youre letting your distaste for Dallas color your vision. Dallas has lots of energy. Its personality may not be for you, but its not a quiet city at all.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:34 AM

12,521 posts, read 23,103,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTesla35 View Post
I never been to Dallas but I agree with tha and Phoniex. I'd add Houston, Altanta, Raleigh, Tampa, Orlando is bordline, Jackonsville, Baltimore.
Yep...zero personality in Houston...they only invented the Art Car.

Houston Art Car Parade - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not to mention the World's largest livestock & rodeo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houston...Show_and_Rodeo

Last, but not least the annual International Festival which draws huge crowds from all over the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houston...ional_Festival

Old 06-21-2013, 10:45 AM

930 posts, read 1,284,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Youre letting your distaste for Dallas color your vision. Dallas has lots of energy. Its personality may not be for you, but its not a quiet city at all.
I never said it lacked energy, just doesn't match up to Fort Worth in that category. Dallas doesn't have a personality... at least not one that I can pick up on and 30k millionaire doesn't count. Fort Worth, Austin, San Antonio and Houston have all very defined personalities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.