Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 01:07 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,128,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Raleigh, NC to me is a very vanilla and work a day kind of city, not very eclectic, and not a whole lot to do.
So then what does that mean if everybody wants to move there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
For the people who say Dallas has no personality (except Metro Matt), what do you base it off of?
It sounds like they're comparing Dallas to other TX cities.....so maybe they're all the most eclectic bunch of cities in the country, and Dallas is just the least eclectic of the bunch?

Old 06-18-2013, 01:10 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,781,021 times
In Georgia, Savannah and Athens literally ooze personality and are overflowing with creative, quirky, interesting people. Augusta is completely devoid IMO ... Columbus and Macon have more persoanlity than Augusta.

Atlanta ... ?! We'll leave that debate to the haters BUT ... I personally know that Atlanta's neighborhoods collectivley have TONS of personality, enough to rival that of any major city in the country.

Last edited by Newsboy; 06-18-2013 at 01:24 PM..

Old 06-18-2013, 01:11 PM

10,721 posts, read 23,633,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
So then what does that mean if everybody wants to move there?
Most likely for work, education, and a more affordable area to live. Certainly not for any eclectic personality, natural beauty, or any special character. There are some remarkable colleges and universities in the area, but the topography is boring, downtown is mediocre, and amenities are pretty much like any other medium sized metro. I have family living in the Raleigh area and I've been several times. It's a nice place for families to live, but to visit Raleigh is pretty dull. The only place that stands out for me is Chapel Hill, although it's quaint it's also pretty small. The topography is just a lot of woods and not much else.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 06-18-2013 at 01:42 PM..

Old 06-18-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Most likely for work, education, and a more affordable area to live. Certainly not for any eclectic personality, natural beauty, or any special character. There are some remarkable colleges and universities in the area, but the topography is boring, downtown is mediocre, and amenities are pretty much like any other medium sized metro. I have family living in the Raleigh area and I've been several times. It's a nice place for families to live, but to visit Raleigh is pretty dull. The only place that stands out for me is Chapel Hill, although it's quaint it's also pretty small. The topography is just a lot of woods and not much else.
It was meant to be a rhetorical question, but thanks anyways!

Old 06-18-2013, 06:37 PM

309 posts, read 755,446 times
San Antonio and Fort Worth do seem to have lots of personality.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:09 PM

17,625 posts, read 13,438,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
It sounds like they're comparing Dallas to other TX cities.....so maybe they're all the most eclectic bunch of cities in the country, and Dallas is just the least eclectic of the bunch?
Dallas seems hell bent on being a world class corporate city at the expense of losing a lot of it's "Texasness" for lack of a better word.

Austin kind of has that problem with attempting to be a hip California type place but they have held on to the fun funky Texas vibe.

Houston has always kind of had a unique blend of Texas, gulf coast and deep south culture that has made it unique and although it has some of the same issues as Dallas it has done a better job of holding on to those things.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:11 PM

166 posts, read 188,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
In Georgia, Savannah and Athens literally ooze personality and are overflowing with creative, quirky, interesting people. Augusta is completely devoid IMO ... Columbus and Macon have more persoanlity than Augusta.

Atlanta ... ?! We'll leave that debate to the haters BUT ... I personally know that Atlanta's neighborhoods collectivley have TONS of personality, enough to rival that of any major city in the country.
I'd say Augusta has more personality than Athens if we just talking about the downtown area. Athens just an old mill town with a big state college. Never saw what the big deal is. Augusta riverwalk is fairly vibrant at night. I actually think most people would rank Augusta over Columbus and Macon.

I'd say Greenville SC has the most personality of any southern city. It has the best downtown by far I think. Charleston is runner up. Columbia might be underrated.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:13 PM

166 posts, read 188,716 times
I think any city with a huge beltway around it like Atlanta and Houston is kind of missing personality. Both of those were probably cool back in the day.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:18 PM

1,980 posts, read 2,083,022 times
@DrTresla. Charleston isn't a runner-up to any S. Carolina city, absolutely none. It's pretty much in its own league in SC and Numero Uno in all these 5 criteria: charm, food, walkability, total attractions, fun. Greenville has done much with its downtown, true, but it's not in Charleston's league. Few cities in the South are. In Georgia, Augusta and Columbus have made great strides with their downtowns too, but both are light-years behind Savannah in the aforementioned criteria (all 5 of them).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.