U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 03:58 PM

53 posts, read 116,058 times

Advertisements

I have Asperger's and states are my specific interest so I know a ton about most states, and I at least know of every single state and where it's located.

Is it unreasonable to say that all Americans should know all 50 states, since America needs all 50?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 04:53 PM

9,519 posts, read 13,436,132 times
No but it will never happen. Most Americans dont even know the difference between Here & Hear, There/Their/They're and how to spell things. Americans are not that smart.

Old 06-18-2013, 04:59 PM

11,172 posts, read 22,363,867 times
I know them all, where they are and their capitals. I don't think many people know every capital or where they're located, but I've never met someone who doesn't at least know them when they're listed off.

I can't imagine anyone going "What's Arkansas? A fruit?"

Old 06-18-2013, 05:03 PM

12,636 posts, read 10,487,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMN View Post
I have Asperger's and states are my specific interest so I know a ton about most states, and I at least know of every single state and where it's located.

Is it unreasonable to say that all Americans should know all 50 states, since America needs all 50?
I know every state. Ever since I can remember, I've always been interested in studying the U.S. map. I love history, geography, and politics so this isn't surprising but I absolutely focused on learning every U.S. state. Give me a blank map and I can either name or place states where they belong. I can also name quite a few capitals. The ones that still get me to this day are Colorado and Wyoming - 2 rectangles right on top of one another, I still mix them up half the time.

If people don't know all states, as in exact location on the map or naming them off the top of their head, that's fine to me but if someone genuinely has never heard of a state then that's a problem. I guess it just depends on whether or not someone wants to take the time to learn all 50.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:20 PM

7,378 posts, read 10,064,312 times
We got an Encyclopedia Britannica when I was pre school age. I loved the monstrous leather bound atlas that came with it, it was almost as tall as I was. I poured over it and even learned to read before 1st grade (lessons with my mom and my grandfather's old blue back speller... before the term "homeschooling" came into vogue).

When I entered first grade my teacher was amazed that I knew all 50 states and capitals, could identify any state by its shape and could place it on a map. I don't know why I have had this affinity for maps all my life. Thus, it is difficult to answer the question as it was something very easy and of interest for me. I think every American SHOULD know them, but don't know how you would require it from people who can't even distinguish the points on a compass.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:28 PM

811 posts, read 823,469 times
I love maps. Always have. When I was in elementary school, I would draw my own maps on my own free time. Today, I find it hard to believe that adults cannot list many state capitals. It's unbelievable. Studying maps is not that hard. Perhaps the people don't have access to maps, as the former Miss Teen South Carolina stated.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:37 PM

9,967 posts, read 14,607,998 times
I can easily name and locate all 50 states.

The capitals I can remember though sometimes in the past I'd forget about Jefferson City, Missouri or Frankfort, Kentucky or Montpellier, Vermont or Pierre, South Dakota. Though today I can apparently remember those cities...

I'm pretty good with geography however. I think I could name and identify every country in the world from memory, though Africa gets a little tricky in some places...

Old 06-18-2013, 06:38 PM

983 posts, read 1,428,107 times
I remember it from the song!

"50 nifty Untied States from 13 original colonies..."

I hope other people know that too!

Old 06-18-2013, 06:46 PM

9,519 posts, read 13,436,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC01 View Post

Or "50 states that rhyme".

"When I was small I studied US Geography. The teacher said would you stand up and list the states for meeeee? My knees began a-knocking, my words came out all wrong- then suddenly I burst out- with this silly little song:

Alabama and Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado and Connecticut & more. Delaware, Florida, Georgia, and Hawaii, Idaho; Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, still 35 to go. Kansas and Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts and good ole Michigan; Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri & Montana, Nebraska's 27, number 28's Nevada oooh oooh ooh. Next new Hampshire and New Jersey, and way down New Mexico. There's New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio; Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania- now let's see- Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee. Texas and there's Utah, Vermont I'm almost through, Virginia and there's Washington and West Virginia too. Could Wisconsin be the last one or is it 49? No, Wyoming is the last state in the 50 states that rhyme!"

Can't believe I typed that all out by memory.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:04 PM

2,779 posts, read 6,683,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC01 View Post

Shout em', scout em'
tell all about em'
til we've given a day for every state
in the USA
in the USA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or