U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2013, 08:13 PM

3,831 posts, read 3,698,340 times

Advertisements

Really shows the disparity in wealth and education between the South and the rest of the country.

5 Maps That Show How Divided America Really Is - Emily Badger - The Atlantic Cities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 09:11 PM

494 posts, read 672,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
Really shows the disparity in wealth and education between the South and the rest of the country.

5 Maps That Show How Divided America Really Is - Emily Badger - The Atlantic Cities

Not really. Gonna post here what i did there.

So let me get the right.. Baltimore, Philly, LA, NYC, Camden NJ ring a bell?, Chicago ( need i go on? ) have no poor people? Thus the problem with these very flawed studies. Could it POSSIBLY be NYC ( Home of the stock market.."amongst many other things" ) is carrying it like Hollywood does for LA etc? The south does not have much industry and thus it stands to reason that what people are there tend to make less and lets not forget cost of living which is much cheaper in the south.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:56 PM

6,488 posts, read 16,148,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryBTL View Post
Not really. Gonna post here what i did there.

So let me get the right.. Baltimore, Philly, LA, NYC, Camden NJ ring a bell?, Chicago ( need i go on? ) have no poor people? Thus the problem with these very flawed studies. Could it POSSIBLY be NYC ( Home of the stock market.."amongst many other things" ) is carrying it like Hollywood does for LA etc? The south does not have much industry and thus it stands to reason that what people are there tend to make less and lets not forget cost of living which is much cheaper in the south.
It looks like they used counties as the geographic unit. Places like Camden, NJ certainly have a lot of poor people, but Camden is only 10% of the population of Camden County, which has some very affluent suburbs. The poverty in the city of Camden gets washed out because the affluent 'burbs raise the county's averages. Camden County appears blue in almost all of the maps, with the exception of the income inequality map. The story is similar in Essex County, home of Newark. Newark and its poor are a fraction of the overall population of Essex.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
It looks like they used counties as the geographic unit. Places like Camden, NJ certainly have a lot of poor people, but Camden is only 10% of the population of Camden County, which has some very affluent suburbs. The poverty in the city of Camden gets washed out because the affluent 'burbs raise the county's averages. Camden County appears blue in almost all of the maps, with the exception of the income inequality map. The story is similar in Essex County, home of Newark. Newark and its poor are a fraction of the overall population of Essex.
Thanks but yes it gets to the same point. It is hard for any county down south to compete because as said they lack big industry.

Would be interesting to know exactly how many poor people there are in the north and or west vs the south? I mean a actual count. I suspect it would tell a totally different story.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:38 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,792,885 times
I think that linking Atlantic Cities is gonna get you shut down by a moderator since it's a competitor website.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I think that linking Atlantic Cities is gonna get you shut down by a moderator since it's a competitor website.

Huh? I don't see a forum or much of anything else on that website?

Old 06-19-2013, 06:59 AM

56,534 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Quote:
Thanks but yes it gets to the same point. It is hard for any county down south to compete because as said they lack big industry.

Would be interesting to know exactly how many poor people there are in the north and or west vs the south? I mean a actual count. I suspect it would tell a totally different story.
It depends, as the county I live in is on par with Durham County, NC in some economic aspects. So, it depends on what people look at. North Carolina locations by per capita income - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

New York locations by per capita income - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There's this too: Northern California enjoys nation's highest salaries - The Business Journals

Old 06-19-2013, 07:26 AM

5,991 posts, read 8,311,571 times
Quote:

What it DOES show is how proportionally poor and uneducated the South is, because even with the North's large population of poor and uneducated people it's still only a relatively small fraction of the total, but the same is not true for the South. So even if the North had a higher population of poor and uneducated it would still be proportionally richer/educated than the South on a per person basis (proportion).

You could also point to places in the U.S. which have the largest percentage of minorities/non-English-speaking citizens. The South and Southwest are always going to be amongst the highest in the nation for obvious reasons. Same is true in the North: where the minorities/immigrants are can also be amongst the poorest and least educated parts of the North (major cities, Native Americans in the Dakotas and parts of the Plains, Hispanics in the Southwest, etc.).

Old 06-19-2013, 08:39 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,214,549 times
Did they factor in cost of living when they showed the income map? I'm a teacher here in NC and if I lived in NYC of course my income would double along with cost of living. Did they factor that in?

Old 06-19-2013, 09:31 AM

56,534 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post
Did they factor in cost of living when they showed the income map? I'm a teacher here in NC and if I lived in NYC of course my income would double along with cost of living. Did they factor that in?
Good question, but I think so given the map showing poverty rates.

Is it true that NC is 49th in teacher pay?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or