Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2013, 04:58 PM

249 posts, read 441,576 times

Advertisements

The title pretty much sums it up I'd say.

I'm looking to relocate to another city in about a month or two and begin my Personal Training business from the ground up.

I am nationally certified professional by one of the top accrediting bodies in the country, so I do not lack for credentials, and I've been training folks as an aside for so long, I simply decided to ditch the white-collar and do what I love and have always loved.

And let us say for the purposes of clarity and succinctness, that all other variables regarding COL are equal, and I can go pretty much wherever the gettin's good.

Things I'm looking for(but am open to ALL suggestions):

-A mid-to-big sized city population-wise

-A smaller-sized metro area with not -too- much sprawl(have to consolidate my daily commute to my clients for the long-term.

-Walkable, bikeable, doesn't lack for public transit

-A high number of obese people

-A place where there is enough enough of the fit/vain culture that people in general would feel inclined to care enough about their appearance to truly consider retaining a personal trainer, even if many of them have let themselves go.

-A hidden gem of a burg that has a market not saturated by trainers like myself

I've really looked high and low at many different cities, and I figure that since so many of you -live- in said cities, you can give me the thumbs up -if- your locale could really use a few good personal trainers for any of the above reasons or for reasons of your own deduction.

Come one, come all! Would love to hear the suggestions, and hopefully someone will point me in a solid direction to take my job and thusly, my life.

edit: Merci!

Last edited by the12ronin; 06-20-2013 at 04:59 PM.. Reason: forgot to say thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 05:22 PM

92,061 posts, read 122,262,393 times
Morgantown WV may work due to fitting some of your criteria. Pittsburgh is an hour north too.

This map could help: Issue Brief: Analysis of Obesity Rates by State - Trust for America's Health

Old 06-20-2013, 05:46 PM

249 posts, read 441,576 times
Um.....that map is from 2004.

JK man..heh.

Thanks for the link. Yea, the usual suspects I see. Mostly Southern and Mid-western at that high percentile for obesity. Thanks for this.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:04 PM

26,851 posts, read 43,334,989 times
Cleveland could be a good choice, it has some density and a good transit system.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:22 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,091,477 times
Just to play devil's advocate ... if you're looking for areas of high obesity rate. For one thing, that's pretty much anywhere. But ... do you think that's your best customer base? I'm not so sure. They're that way for a reason. They may need your services, but they're not going to want them. I'd say a high majority are that way because of poor eating habits, oftentimes linked to lower income. Cheap food isn't healthy food. And hiring a personal trainer isn't cheap.

In otherwords, if I want to open a vegetarian restaurant, do I go looking for the highest numbers of meat-eaters because I think I can convert them?

I don't think so. For your needs, I'd be more inclined to look for an area with an active population, and more disposable income. They're more likely to go for it.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:35 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,105,780 times
I wouldn't go for the type of city you are looking for, but you may be on to something so I won't try and stop you. New Orleans fits the bid. Very walkable, dense, rather cosmopolitan for a southern city, progressive, and people are open to new ideas. Small businesses are opening up everywhere in the city and it would be a good fit. A good central, streetcar accessible, and walkable neighborhood would be Mid-City. Uptowners will have the disposable income.

I would say Houston but it lacks any real walkable neighborhood that is pedestrian active. There are great areas and the disposable income is MUCH higher across a much broader spectrum than New Orleans but you will be playing 2nd fiddle to personal trainers, even the type that use out of the box tactics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.