Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 09:45 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,891,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
People tend to associate roughness with the older, grittier industrial cites. In the sunbelt, the rough areas are just as rough, but resemble shanty towns. For example, you wouldn't want to be in this corner of Orlando: South Orange Blossom Trail, Oak Ridge, FL - Google Maps.
I didnt see it, There was nothing scary.https://maps.google.com/maps?q=South...110.24,,0,3.92 This is the worst I could find in Orlando.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 09:46 AM

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Blair...ari5WuEjHSPzXQ sorry

Old 06-24-2013, 10:33 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
I didnt see it, There was nothing scary.
That's kinda my point. In many minds, "scary" is associated with the older abandoned and graffiti-covered industrial buildings of the older cities. In fact, many of those areas, while looking "rough" are actually quite safe for the very reason that thay are abandoned. Given the sunbelt cities are newer, they lack large areas of grittiness yet have their share of poverty and crime. The rough areas of sunbelt cities just look different and to many eyes can seem deceptively safe. As another example, here is one of the more dangerous neighborhoods in Houston: Brown & Root Inc, Clinton Drive, Houston, TX - Google Maps. Doesn't look too bad does it?

I'm not trying to convince you of anything. Just suggesting that "rough" neighborhoods come in many varieties.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
That's kinda my point. In many minds, "scary" is associated with the older abandoned and graffiti-covered industrial buildings of the older cities. In fact, many of those areas, while looking "rough" are actually quite safe for the very reason that thay are abandoned. Given the sunbelt cities are newer, they lack large areas of grittiness yet have their share of poverty and crime. The rough areas of sunbelt cities just look different and to many eyes can seem deceptively safe. As another example, here is one of the more dangerous neighborhoods in Houston: Brown & Root Inc, Clinton Drive, Houston, TX - Google Maps. Doesn't look too bad does it?

I'm not trying to convince you of anything. Just suggesting that "rough" neighborhoods come in many varieties.
I gotcha, yeah people down here exaggerate everything!! Not saying that there arnt some rough places down here, but it is definatley not the worst.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:35 PM

164 posts, read 266,496 times
I bet that Google Cam car driver was feeling a little uneasy driving through some of these places. I would have demanded hazardous duty pay.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:41 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,904,464 times
I think Miami has some of the roughest looking areas. One of them is called Overtown. Its near downtown and I got lost there once or twice in my car. I saw a crackhead brawl with about 30 people who appeared homeless dressed in fred flinstone style clothing fighting an a big alley way.

Here are a few pictures of Miami's worst:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/miami...-included.html

Old 06-28-2013, 03:40 AM

313 posts, read 647,058 times

Old 06-28-2013, 04:32 AM

1,370 posts, read 3,052,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Success3 View Post
I bet that Google Cam car driver was feeling a little uneasy driving through some of these places. I would have demanded hazardous duty pay.
Seriously, that Camden one posted with the scary looking people would make me feel like I was about to get shot.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:50 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Camden sadly has some of the worst looking areas I have seen in the US, truly sad

many parts are basically desolate and scary (this coming from someone who is pretty comfortable with most city atomaspheres including bad ones)

Old 06-28-2013, 07:05 AM

2,549 posts, read 3,977,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Camden sadly has some of the worst looking areas I have seen in the US, truly sad

many parts are basically desolate and scary (this coming from someone who is pretty comfortable with most city atomaspheres including bad ones)
If you can just combine Camden, Gary and East St Louis into one city imagine the potential.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.