U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2007, 10:10 AM

8,574 posts, read 13,400,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownwarrior View Post
Well, you can consider places in Michigan and Missouri mountainous. If you go to the ozarks, you couldn't tell if you were in appalachia or not.
Not quite....... NC. has Mt.Mitchell , highest peak east of the rockies. TN. has Clingmans Dome , only a few feet shorter. There are many more high peaks in the Smokies as well. The Ozarks don't even come close.......
The UP in Michigan has whats more like the Ozarks , but , much more dramatic because of Lake Superior @ 660 feet near by.... Not to say the Ozarks aren't scenic , they are , mostly in Arkansas , around Mena., near the OK. border.
Mn. has some peaks as well , even higher than in the UP , but , not as dramatic I think. A lot depends on the land elevation around the mountains, for the full effect. Thats the problem in the West, its all high , and , with many of the towns in the valleys .

Old 11-12-2007, 10:21 AM

6,967 posts, read 17,691,864 times
Quote:
Dude, you live in long island, an f'in suburb. you have have cheesy houses there that's it. f'n cheesy houses. come to my city, more urban than anything in long island. same for detroit, stl. they're more urban than anyhting in long island..

New york has farms too bro. Hell, last time I was in jersey, or driving from boston to nyc, there's hella farmland in between. your comment shows your complete ignorance.
ummm, for the record, its "on long island"

Old 11-12-2007, 12:00 PM

395 posts, read 1,186,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Not quite....... NC. has Mt.Mitchell , highest peak east of the rockies. TN. has Clingmans Dome , only a few feet shorter. There are many more high peaks in the Smokies as well. The Ozarks don't even come close.......
The UP in Michigan has whats more like the Ozarks , but , much more dramatic because of Lake Superior @ 660 feet near by.... Not to say the Ozarks aren't scenic , they are , mostly in Arkansas , around Mena., near the OK. border.
Mn. has some peaks as well , even higher than in the UP , but , not as dramatic I think. A lot depends on the land elevation around the mountains, for the full effect. Thats the problem in the West, its all high , and , with many of the towns in the valleys .
Have you ever been to the st. francoise mountains in missouri? my family took a trip there, it looked like many parts of appallachia (sp) to me... Also, in arkansas as well.

NC, TN?? I thought we're talking about the midwest...

Old 11-12-2007, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
ummm, for the record, its "on long island"
My bad...:0

Old 11-12-2007, 12:50 PM

As much as I'm flattered that people think Chicago is the only place worth visiting in the Midwest, I have to admit that saying that is like saying, New york is the only place worth visiting in the north east, Miami the only place in the south, and LA the only place in the west.

All regions have their cities of interest....

Old 11-12-2007, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Have you ever been to the st. francoise mountains in missouri? my family took a trip there, it looked like many parts of appallachia (sp) to me... Also, in arkansas as well.

NC, TN?? I thought we're talking about the midwest...
We are , you brought it up, with the comparison........ its good to compare areas outside of the subject also. many folks have no idea if they haven,t been there.
The St Francoise mountains , and the river valley ( St Francis river ) , is a very scenic area. . Taum Sauk mountain is the highest point in Mo., its not very dramatic however , cause is more rolling than a peak.

Old 11-12-2007, 01:52 PM

Quote:
We are , you brought it up, with the comparison........ its good to compare areas outside of the subject also. many folks have no idea if they haven,t been there.
The St Francoise mountains , and the river valley ( St Francis river ) , is a very scenic area. . Taum Sauk mountain is the highest point in Mo., its not very dramatic however , cause is more rolling than a peak.
True, it is more rolling because its on the ozark plateau, but nonetheless, when we were backpacking, not on taum sauk but around, most of our group made that comment, like "omg, i can't believe this is in the midwest, it looks like we're in the appalachians..etc" There was fresh water streams all around, dozens and dozens of small clear water rivers, trout fishing, etc. It really did feel like the appalachians. you should go to the ozarks if you haven't. its VERY appalachian/mountain country like. (not smokies or tall parts of appalachians) Very un-midwestern...

A similar thing happened with the group i was in, when we were camping in Arkansas. It's VERY surprising for a lot of people who think of the midwest as the cornfields in IL and Iowa or indiana.

Old 11-12-2007, 02:10 PM

Quote:
True, it is more rolling because its on the ozark plateau, but nonetheless, when we were backpacking, not on taum sauk but around, most of our group made that comment, like "omg, i can't believe this is in the midwest, it looks like we're in the appalachians..etc" There was fresh water streams all around, dozens and dozens of small clear water rivers, trout fishing, etc. It really did feel like the appalachians. you should go to the ozarks if you haven't. its VERY appalachian/mountain country like. (not smokies or tall parts of appalachians) Very un-midwestern...

A similar thing happened with the group i was in, when we were camping in Arkansas. It's VERY surprising for a lot of people who think of the midwest as the cornfields in IL and Iowa or indiana.
I have to admit , I have never back packed in this area of MO. just driven thru.
Likewise , you should take a look at the UP, Superior will blow you away !

The Midwest " mountains" are all part of a very old chain. The UP area is older than the rockies , and , once was twice as tall. I haven't studied the Ozarks , but , would guess the same apply s. I have always said , ( and this apply s to the Appalachians also )...... that , " The difference between the Rockies and eastern mountains , is , when you are there , you are IN them , not just looking up at em"........

Old 11-12-2007, 02:46 PM

20,005 posts, read 67,739,166 times
Some pics of MO and other hills in the midwest. I think theyre pretty respectable!

Old 11-12-2007, 03:24 PM

Quote:
I have to admit , I have never back packed in this area of MO. just driven thru.
Likewise , you should take a look at the UP, Superior will blow you away !

The Midwest " mountains" are all part of a very old chain. The UP area is older than the rockies , and , once was twice as tall. I haven't studied the Ozarks , but , would guess the same apply s. I have always said , ( and this apply s to the Appalachians also )...... that , " The difference between the Rockies and eastern mountains , is , when you are there , you are IN them , not just looking up at em"........
I would LOVE to come to upper michigan. I'm going to plan a camping trip up there when it gets warmer! I've heard great things about it.

I studied up on the ozarks after going there and being suprised at its beauty. I learned that it's actually remains of a precambrian mountain range, dried up lava, so very old as well. Also, to see the real areas of MO, you have to go beyond the interstates. It's pretty interesting because in the st. francois mts, there's NO ONE, pure wilderness, and if you look at a map of US at Night, you'll see that region is completely black. Great place to see stars...They even have completely different species of animals: black bears, missouri tarantuala (http://www.conservation.mo.gov/nathis/arthopo/mospider/kinds.htm - broken link), freshwater jellyfish. Very interesting stuff. I spent quite some time reading about the unique region. (Ozarks really made an impact on me )

This is great information about UP michigan and the ozark region or "US Interior Highlands" (ozark and ouchita mountain regioin),highland region between rockies and appalachians, because it combats the myth of the midwest being a flat prairie filled with cornfields. It is hard to believe when you see them, if you believe the stereotype of the midwest being as such. ITS NOT.

Thanks for the pics steve!

a good read:
The Ozarks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Another note is that in southern IL and MO, there are many wetlands and swamps, including cypress trees and many different types of species you wouldn't expect....just to show the midwest beyond wheat and flat cornfields...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or