U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Unread 07-05-2008, 01:18 PM
 
Location: Middleton, Wisconsin
4,195 posts, read 9,718,474 times
Reputation: 2077
Agree with you Bydand when you say it makes life a bit easier. Why does there need to be so much negative energy when it comes to certain regions etc ???

 
Unread 07-05-2008, 03:20 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
45 posts, read 103,133 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Fit-itch View Post
That's a smart move. If you absolutely want to be a lawyer, do it in the midwest. I know a lot of unemployed lawyers in NY, MA, CA, NJ because there are just too damn many in those places. Moreover, you'll be a lot less distracted by, well, life in that area while studying.

From personal experince, you may want to also take a look at getting an MBA instead.
Yeah, I think that's true...about the overflowing amount of lawyers on the Coasts.

As for the MBA, I work at a business school so I can assuredly say it's not for me.
 
Unread 07-05-2008, 11:07 PM
 
Location: Chicagoland
4,030 posts, read 3,801,535 times
Reputation: 1225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Fit-itch View Post
Who is willing to step up and preserve the dilapidated Victorian mansions in Detroit?
Me. I care and hope to get more involved to keep the history in my area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami305Kid View Post
Okay you wanna play this game? First of all the midwest has its fair share of storms or did I just dream the whole receent tornado crisis that destroyed half of your reigon? Second of all, being on the ocean means trade with other countries and tourisim. And um, I would say that most of the midwest is NOT located on the Great Lakes. I wasn't saying anything bad about the midwest, I was just saying it doesn't have mass appeal like Florida or California because it doesn't have real beaches or sunshine. Personally do I like the midwest? Chicago seems like a great city but besides CHI I think it lacks diversity and beaches.
Half of our region, really? Wow, I guess that the Tribune forgot to pick that topic up because I didn't hear about that.

Most of the Midwest is placed around rivers and smaller lakes though.

REAL BEACHES OR SUNSHINE. Well you obviously have not seen a Great Lake beach because they are better than many ocean beaches. Sunshine is in abundance and so is the cold and warmth, which is why we grow all of your food here. Usually plants need the sun and heat to do that.

As far as diversity, the rural areas don't really offer that, but our big cities do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami305Kid View Post
Because it doesn't have beaches, duh. For some reason people need to feel like they are close to a beach and being landlocked isn't exactly what most people want. I know some of you are gonna say "We aren't landlocked!! We have the Great Lakes"! but a lake isn't the same thing as the ocean. Also the weather isn't exactly amazing.
A lake is better than the ocean and we aren't land locked because of the lakes and an extensive river system that connects us to the ocean.

Our weather has literally everything that other areas have other than hurricanes so that would give us a one up.
 
Unread 07-06-2008, 09:39 AM
 
Location: Denver
688 posts, read 1,639,587 times
Reputation: 339
It's all part of the American pie.
Seriously I couldn't hate any region of our country.
I used to get annoyed with overly defensive people
talking up their choice of residence while trashing others.
(now I just chuckle at their obvious insecurities)
I suggest the Al Franklin self affirmation method...
Look in the mirror and say I'm o.k... where I live is o.k...
if you still don't believe it get on City-Data and bemoan
the injustice to your city and ridicule others.
Chill out Midwest you are definitely cool.
 
Unread 07-06-2008, 02:17 PM
 
Location: St. Louis, MO
3,746 posts, read 2,912,162 times
Reputation: 660
I think the Midwest actually is richest in its culture. It blends together cultures from all over the country at least in most of the cities I've been to. Southern, Southwestern, Northeastern, and western cuisine as well as Midwestern culture can be found mixed together in the cities of Chicago, Kansas City, and St. Louis at least from what I've noticed. the Midwest I would say is the best place for food. I think people hate the Midwest for its weather, the stereotypical cornfield scene which is total b.s., the Midwest countryside is far more diverse than just that, and I think they also hate it because it's the closest to geographical central region in the country, and I guess people just hate being in the middle. I dunno, that's my theory, and if anybody has a problem with it, please, no personal attacks, I have a right to my opinion, you have a right to your's.
 
Unread 07-06-2008, 02:30 PM
 
Location: Where you wish you lived, LA
304 posts, read 573,681 times
Reputation: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
I think the Midwest actually is richest in its culture. It blends together cultures from all over the country at least in most of the cities I've been to. Southern, Southwestern, Northeastern, and western cuisine as well as Midwestern culture can be found mixed together in the cities of Chicago, Kansas City, and St. Louis at least from what I've noticed. the Midwest I would say is the best place for food. I think people hate the Midwest for its weather, the stereotypical cornfield scene which is total b.s., the Midwest countryside is far more diverse than just that, and I think they also hate it because it's the closest to geographical central region in the country, and I guess people just hate being in the middle. I dunno, that's my theory, and if anybody has a problem with it, please, no personal attacks, I have a right to my opinion, you have a right to your's.
i love st. louis, im a cardinals fan

rest of the midwest sucks though ...lacks a cool factor
 
Unread 07-06-2008, 03:29 PM
 
Location: Middleton, Wisconsin
4,195 posts, read 9,718,474 times
Reputation: 2077
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
I think the Midwest actually is richest in its culture. It blends together cultures from all over the country at least in most of the cities I've been to. Southern, Southwestern, Northeastern, and western cuisine as well as Midwestern culture can be found mixed together in the cities of Chicago, Kansas City, and St. Louis at least from what I've noticed. the Midwest I would say is the best place for food. I think people hate the Midwest for its weather, the stereotypical cornfield scene which is total b.s., the Midwest countryside is far more diverse than just that, and I think they also hate it because it's the closest to geographical central region in the country, and I guess people just hate being in the middle. I dunno, that's my theory, and if anybody has a problem with it, please, no personal attacks, I have a right to my opinion, you have a right to your's.
I agree whole-heartedly!

Another bonus for the midwest is there is no lack of freshwater. I laugh whenever I hear someone bash a Great Lakes beach. "Oh it's just not the same." Come on! Lake Michigan is far more pleasant to swim in then the Atlantic. That's my opinion. Is Indiana all flat? Nope, Ever been to Madison, IN? Clifty falls state park.

Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, all share the driftless area. Michigan has the Porcupine Mtn. Range.

Midwest has a huge advantage to being centrally located. Many corporations set up headqaurters here because of the central locale in the U.S.
 
Unread 07-06-2008, 05:12 PM
 
Location: Miami, Florida
210 posts, read 762,713 times
Reputation: 151
Default midwest is cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
Oh no we don't have beaches what ever shall we do? The Storms did not wipe out half the region, it only damaged a few towns and didn't even harm our major cities, and most of our crops are fine, and the great lakes feed into the Ocean, so all of the cities on the great lakes are major ports. Keep your beaches, gas prices, horrid economy, and even worse housing markets. And of course we have sunshine, let me explain the very complex process the Earth goes through, slowly the Earth rotates around the sun, and causes half the Earth to be dark, and half the earth to be light for certain parts of the day. Look, I already got you ahead for when you go back to your third rate schools.
Actually the east coast (especially the northeast) is known for its 1st rate schools hence Princeton, Harvard, Columbia, Penn etc. Second of all, I'm just answering the freakin question. "Why do people hate the midwest?" What do you want me to say? I said my answer because it doens't have beaches and because it doesn't have year round sunshine. Also I'm not trying to put down the midwest, I'm just saying why I think it doesn't have a mass appeal. If you can't handle that than its not my fault.
 
Unread 07-06-2008, 06:12 PM
 
Location: West Michigan
12,163 posts, read 19,606,861 times
Reputation: 16071
And we are just saying it does have beaches and year-round sunshine. Just not year round warm temps. Can't handle it, that isn't the respondents fault to your mis-representations either.
 
Unread 07-06-2008, 08:48 PM
 
Location: St. Louis, MO
3,746 posts, read 2,912,162 times
Reputation: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
I agree whole-heartedly!

Another bonus for the midwest is there is no lack of freshwater. I laugh whenever I hear someone bash a Great Lakes beach. "Oh it's just not the same." Come on! Lake Michigan is far more pleasant to swim in then the Atlantic. That's my opinion. Is Indiana all flat? Nope, Ever been to Madison, IN? Clifty falls state park.

Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, all share the driftless area. Michigan has the Porcupine Mtn. Range.

Midwest has a huge advantage to being centrally located. Many corporations set up headqaurters here because of the central locale in the U.S.
Add many great rivers to the Midwest as well...the Ohio, the Mississippi, the Illinois, and the Missouri Rivers as well as the Meramec River in Missouri's Ozark region (yet another break from the stereotypical cornfield scene in the Midwest, as well as Eastern and Southeastern Ohio's Appalachian region), the Wabash River, the Des Moines River, etc. all together with the Great Lakes make the Midwest a major mecca for water power. the agriculture in the Midwest is very rich, and its agriculture is diverse as well as its culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:30 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top