Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2009, 12:52 AM

5,542 posts, read 9,439,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Apparently you did not hear the news that Tiller was killed by a fringe individual who was immediately arrested. I am not going to get into the abortion issue, but I think Kansas is very socially conservative regardless. The state is much more socially conservative compared to the Upper Midwest states. I would say much of southern Kansas is in the Bible Belt with northern Kansas much less so.
Oh I heard the news....obviously I don't agree with the individual taking the law into his own hands.

My point is that a state (or a portion of the state) that is as socially conservative as you claim, with abortion pretty much being the primary hot-button social issue, should be able to overturn such a heinous act (late-term abortion) by the will of the people. Just my 2 cents.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:53 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,654,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Topographically the Upper Midwest, with the exception of Iowa, is very different from the Great Plains. Iowa is like a Great Plains state with the rainfall of a Great Lakes state. It still doesn't have tons of lakes or forests but at least it isn't brown and yellow in the spring and summer months. Western Minnesota, Southern Illinois, and Southern Indiana are places where the topography transitions from one region to another but Wisconsin, Michigan, and Ohio are heavily forested states with lots of lakes and rivers and rolling hills. Which doesn't sound a thing like the Great Plains states.
did you know That Nebraska has more rivers than any other state? And that it has the most lakes third to Minnesota and Alaska?

Old 07-18-2009, 01:45 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,044,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
did you know That Nebraska has more rivers than any other state? And that it has the most lakes third to Minnesota and Alaska?
So what? The number of lakes or rivers a state has isn't at all indicative of the size or quality of said lakes or rivers.

Also, Nebraska is like 600 miles long and it's located directly east of Colorado (the Continental Divide), so it's bound to have a few rivers passing through it.

The State of Wisconsin contains 11,188 square miles of water, more than all but three other states (Alaska, Michigan, and Florida).

Old 07-18-2009, 02:03 PM

16,284 posts, read 42,972,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
Michigan has 11,000 and second above Minnesota.

Minnesota has the slogan, but it's actually third.

Old 07-18-2009, 02:41 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,044,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Michigan has 11,000 and second above Minnesota.

Minnesota has the slogan, but it's actually third.
I'm not too sure about this. I received a long lecture from a Minnesotan when I said that Wisconsin has 16,000 lakes, but only 8,000 have names. He said the same is true in Minnesota. They actually have like 22,000 lakes but only 10,000 are officially named.

Old 07-18-2009, 03:44 PM

10,629 posts, read 26,629,167 times
MN's DNR says that there are 11,842 lakes in MN, with lakes being measured at 10 acres or more. I don't know how that ranks against other states, as it depends on what one defines as a "lake." I've heard that MN is second to Alaska.

Old 07-18-2009, 04:38 PM

868 posts, read 1,558,850 times
I don't really hate the Midwest (hate is such a strong word) but I do think midwesterners in general have an attitude that they are better than the rest of the country. It's different from the northeastern and southern attitudes because atleast they can identify faults with their regions.

For example, midwestern transplants to southwest PA /tri-state region say they are better drivers than the natives (I have seen plenty of aggressive/just plain horrible midwestern drivers). They kind of have a geeky/nerdy vibe and want to be right about everything (Calm down, just a generalization!). They like to boast about their strong work ethic too. (From my own observations, I don't see much a difference.)

I lived in an area of Florida with alot of midwestern transplants as well and saw many of those traits down there. It was quite an experience because it was like living a subtropical midwestern colony. haha

Old 07-18-2009, 11:08 PM

10,629 posts, read 26,629,167 times
I don't think Midwesterners across the board share that attitude, or at least not anymore than do people from any other place. I'm from the Midwest but have lived in many other regions, and felt it was basically about the same everywhere. Keep in mind that some transplants tend to talk a lot about wherever they came from - I think it's a coping mechanism with learning about living in a new place, and in some cases people are just genuinely trying to note the similiarities and differences. For those that moved voluntarily, there must have been some driving force that convinced them that the new place was better than the old place (for them), so actions speak louder than words. But really, I think you may have just been interacting with a subgroup of people,, probably not a representative cross-section, not to mention that you've probably worked with or encountered plenty of people from the Midwest originally but just didn't realize it. Most Midwesterners don't think that they are better than the rest of the country, although they may indeed prefer living there than in other parts of the country (as do most people who like where they live). They might also get a little annoyed with all those references to "flyover country" and stereotypes about the Midwest being all corn fields.

Old 07-18-2009, 11:51 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,847,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallydude02 View Post
I don't really hate the Midwest (hate is such a strong word) but I do think midwesterners in general have an attitude that they are better than the rest of the country. It's different from the northeastern and southern attitudes because atleast they can identify faults with their regions.

For example, midwestern transplants to southwest PA /tri-state region say they are better drivers than the natives (I have seen plenty of aggressive/just plain horrible midwestern drivers). They kind of have a geeky/nerdy vibe and want to be right about everything (Calm down, just a generalization!). They like to boast about their strong work ethic too. (From my own observations, I don't see much a difference.)

I lived in an area of Florida with alot of midwestern transplants as well and saw many of those traits down there. It was quite an experience because it was like living a subtropical midwestern colony. haha
LOL!!!

Looking at your location, you're practically a midwesterner yourself! In fact, Pittsburgh has far more in common still with midwestern river towns and the rust belt than Philly, Jersey, or the rest of the mid-Atlantic/Northeastern states.

Old 07-19-2009, 12:29 AM

5,542 posts, read 9,439,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I don't think Midwesterners across the board share that attitude, or at least not anymore than do people from any other place. I'm from the Midwest but have lived in many other regions, and felt it was basically about the same everywhere. Keep in mind that some transplants tend to talk a lot about wherever they came from - I think it's a coping mechanism with learning about living in a new place, and in some cases people are just genuinely trying to note the similiarities and differences. For those that moved voluntarily, there must have been some driving force that convinced them that the new place was better than the old place (for them), so actions speak louder than words. But really, I think you may have just been interacting with a subgroup of people,, probably not a representative cross-section, not to mention that you've probably worked with or encountered plenty of people from the Midwest originally but just didn't realize it. Most Midwesterners don't think that they are better than the rest of the country, although they may indeed prefer living there than in other parts of the country (as do most people who like where they live). They might also get a little annoyed with all those references to "flyover country" and stereotypes about the Midwest being all corn fields.

>>>>>
Keep in mind that some transplants tend to talk a lot about wherever they came from - I think it's a coping mechanism with learning about living in a new place, and in some cases people are just genuinely trying to note the similiarities and differences.
<<<<<

This is a true statement; I've done it myself, LOL! Very well said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.