Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 05:46 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,671,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
I always felt that Illinois, MN, WI, MI, OH and IN were the actual midwestern states; everything else was Great Plains. I mean the Dakotas and Kansas are so far away from everything very few people would be aware that they are apparently part of the same region.

I feel like the term 'Midwest' is rather ambiguous.

I feel like MN, WI, MI, OH, IN are more Great Lakes States, and typically in MN we often refer to ourselves as Upper Midwest, more than Midwest and even more than Great Lakes.

I feel like Midwest can be broken down to Plains States, Great Lakes States, and Upper Midwest (MN, ND, SD)

Old 02-19-2010, 05:55 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,070,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
I feel like the term 'Midwest' is rather ambiguous.

I feel like MN, WI, MI, OH, IN are more Great Lakes States, and typically in MN we often refer to ourselves as Upper Midwest, more than Midwest and even more than Great Lakes.

I feel like Midwest can be broken down to Plains States, Great Lakes States, and Upper Midwest (MN, ND, SD)
The Dakotas are definitely not Upper Midwest, they're Great Plains states. The Upper Midwest is MN, WI, MI, IL, and IN. Often times OH and IA are included as well, but never anything west of MN. It's not an official designation, but I feel it's a better representation than East North Central and West North Central. Only Northern Illinois (Chicago, Rockford, Quad Cities) and Northern Indiana (Gary, Hammond, and South Bend) have the Upper Midwest feel to them. Iowa is technically a Plains state, but Eastern Iowa shares many similarities with MN and WI. Ohio is similar to IL and IN in that only the northern part of the state (Toledo, Columbus, and Cleveland) feels like the Upper Midwest.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:02 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,000,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
The Dakotas are definitely not Upper Midwest, they're Great Plains states. The Upper Midwest is MN, WI, MI, IL, and IN. Often times OH and IA are included as well, but never anything west of MN. It's not an official designation, but I feel it's a better representation than East North Central and West North Central. Only Northern Illinois (Chicago, Rockford, Quad Cities) and Northern Indiana (Gary, Hammond, and South Bend) have the Upper Midwest feel to them. Iowa is technically a Plains state, but Eastern Iowa shares many similarities with MN and WI. Ohio is similar to IL and IN in that only the northern part of the state (Toledo, Columbus, and Cleveland) feels like the Upper Midwest.
and then there is western New York, which in very many ways feels like Ohio

Old 02-19-2010, 10:40 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,285,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥ View Post
thePR, is there a point you're trying to make? I think I can probably deduce it, but it's nonetheless notable that you had zero commentary in your post. Plus, I have this feeling that you did not read every single word I typed.
I read your post and every single word you typed, was more off the wall than the last. I showed those links to prove that your statement about the coasts and Midwest is wrong.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:34 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,538,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
and then there is western New York, which in very many ways feels like Ohio
Western New York is quite agrarian in some areas. The towns near Lake Erie south of Buffalo seem like they haven't changed in decades with a few exceptions. I traveled through Dunkirk, NY on I-90 and stayed there. They were CELEBRATING the coming arrival of an indoor water park. It was a quite a depressed area that has been losing people and businesses for many years.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:36 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,538,830 times
I am back in the South/Midwest for a full-time temporary position. I can't say I like the region much, but the people are friendly enough in this area (southern IN near Louisville). The culture feels somewhat alien to me as the general lifestyle here seems to revolve around big box stores and chain resturants.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:40 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,636,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I am back in the South/Midwest for a full-time temporary position. I can't say I like the region much, but the people are friendly enough in this area (southern IN near Louisville). The culture feels somewhat alien to me as the general lifestyle here seems to revolve around big box stores and chain resturants.
Do you find yourself missing New Hampshire, Granite? Do you hope to return in the future?

Old 02-20-2010, 10:56 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,885,293 times
I don't think a lot of people hate the Midwest (maybe the winters) but really in many ways the people are a little less in your face, so maybe that has less negative connotations and maybe less noise overall. Actually I find travel in midwest at times to be fun, the people are mostly real and in some ways feel as though they may be the heartbeat that is America. This without the pulses of the NE and West Coast and without the parochialism of the South. But to be fair these traits are present everywhere. Personally for some reason the midwest conjures to me an image of what America is today; gritty, hard working, and a sense of cummunity that is appple pie etc...

Not a bad thing or anything to hate, to me quite the opposite

Last edited by kidphilly; 02-20-2010 at 11:18 AM..

Old 02-20-2010, 01:13 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,932,795 times
The Midwest also has the Northern Tier...another sub region. The area includes UP Michigan , N.Wi. N.MN. ND. and Montana.... In all fairness Ontario is included because of the Lake Superior connection, however , not all of it. The Northern Tier shares ethnic origins , work ethics , and economy , along with natural resources.
It is a most delightful place to live , holds much promise for the future, has not suffered the same way during the economic downturn, and will be the first to come back with stable home prices , low crime rates , and in general quality iof life. Check out the Preservation Trust's vote for Marquette as the top city out of the twelve honored.

Old 02-20-2010, 01:29 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,645,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
I read your post and every single word you typed, was more off the wall than the last. I showed those links to prove that your statement about the coasts and Midwest is wrong.
So, even though I followed my statement with the words with few exceptions (and read it very very slowly this time), you immediately jump to point out exceptions, as if I hadn't already acknowledged the fact that there are exceptions. Is that correct?

You see, that shows you scan-read my post. Moderator cut: see comment And pointing out just two towns in Illinois and Florida further supports the misread statement that you seek to disprove, but I doubt you realized that.

Have a good one!

Last edited by Bo; 02-20-2010 at 11:30 PM.. Reason: The deleted portion was explained in my direct message to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.