U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2007, 06:59 PM

8 posts, read 42,653 times

Advertisements

I will be retiring from my current job in 5 years. I will only be 47 years old so I will most likely start a business or work part time. At that time my daughter will be 12 years old. I am looking for a great neighborhood in a warm state with low cost of living however still near good schools, hospitals, recreation, etc. We've thought about Arizona, New Mexico, South Carolina, etc. but we are open to suggestions. We would like some acreage but don't want to be in the boonies as my daughter is very sociable. Please respond as to great areas to live so we can expand our search into other states. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 07:11 PM

28 posts, read 87,240 times
I'm looking into moving my young family to Alabama....low cost-of-living, safe, warm, plenty to keep you busy (lakes, cities). I've narrowed it to Alexander City, Guntersville, and Arab. I'll be visiting all three this summer to choose. Good luck!

Old 11-08-2007, 07:22 PM

791 posts, read 1,910,002 times
Take a look at Temple, Tx. On I-35, 2 hours south of Dallas, one hour north of Austin, half hour from Waco. Temple is not large but is a nice place. Nearby is Ft. Hood which contributes to populate Belton/Killeen and a couple of other communities. I think the area (Bell County) population runs 250 thousand but is well spread out.

You can get city-Data Forum info from the main page.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:30 PM

37 posts, read 121,676 times
Cool Tulsa, OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo224 View Post
I will be retiring from my current job in 5 years. I will only be 47 years old so I will most likely start a business or work part time. At that time my daughter will be 12 years old. I am looking for a great neighborhood in a warm state with low cost of living however still near good schools, hospitals, recreation, etc. We've thought about Arizona, New Mexico, South Carolina, etc. but we are open to suggestions. We would like some acreage but don't want to be in the boonies as my daughter is very sociable. Please respond as to great areas to live so we can expand our search into other states. Thanks in advance.
I've traveld around the country and Tulsa has the lowest cost of living. Both the OKC and Tulsa areas have plenty of cheap land for sale in the outer suburbs. acre-sized land plots are located just outside (12-20 min. commute time) the Tulsa metro areas in all directions. check out our profile

Old 01-12-2014, 11:41 AM

1 posts, read 1,538 times
My small family and I want to move somewhere warm, safe, and cheap. We currently live in New York and just fed up of the cold weather and crabby people. I want to start new and be happy..does anybody have any suggestions as to where I can start looking? Oh..and we are not fans of tornadoes or any of that severe weather stuff. I would like to somewhat stay on the East Coast too thanks!

Old 01-12-2014, 02:44 PM

147 posts, read 513,104 times
Pensacola is not at all for me but I think you may enjoy it; Many people retire here. It's quite below the national average in terms of COL and while we do have the benefit of having all four seasons but it generally is warm year round apart from a few crazy days. The beaches here are subjectively among the most beautiful in the country. The Pensacola sub-forum is quite stagnant but you may be able to find some useful discussions by searching.

I see the OP was in 2007. I hope you found a great new home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.