Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 04:29 PM

12 posts, read 54,349 times

Advertisements

I have heard many people are moving from the New England. I was just wondering which part of the country or state do most moved to. I have been living in Minnesota four years and i haven't met many people from the Northeast or Boston except people from Michigan and Wisconsin.

Happy 4th of July
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 04:34 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
American Migration [Interactive Map] - Forbes

Click the different counties, looks like alot are going to Florida.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:59 PM

591 posts, read 820,172 times
I was born and raised in RI, went to school in FL for two years, and then transferred to a different school in AZ last year. I'll be going to graduate school and/or searching for employment in either FL or TX next year.

I have no intentions of ever returning to New England.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:24 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,657,461 times
Everything we hoped we would find in Vermont, we found in Kentucky

Old 06-27-2013, 09:36 PM

14,008 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Thats because you live in Minnesota.
But in the south you see plenty of New Englanders.
Also high concentrations of "Bostonians" in the cities that tend to have many aloof people like SF, NYC, DC etc.
These "Bostonians" lived in Boston, Cambridge, or Brookline for a year or two during/ After college and claim to be from Boston, when it reality it's more like they have been to Boston. They do this because the residents of SF/NYC/DC would look down on then if they said their real hometwon (Somewhere in the Midwest or South)

Old 06-27-2013, 10:22 PM

363 posts, read 513,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
American Migration [Interactive Map] - Forbes

Click the different counties, looks like alot are going to Florida.
This map is great! So interesting to see where everyone is going

I'm from the seacoast areas of MA/ Greater Boston (Moved every couple years, so I lived in/ went to school in many towns from Hampton NH to Plymouth, spending the most time -14 years- in and around the North Shore.) Went to college in Boston, and then beat feet to Los Angeles, where I've been for 7 years.

Homesickness for New England sets in around holidays; first St Paddy's week, then 4th of July week. Then it picks up again before Thanksgiving and persists through December each year. I sometimes wish my husband would get work in New York and we could live in Connecticut (my job is transferable to any city), but he is from the Deep South, and has no desire to move to the Northeast- he couldn't take the weather. We met here in LA.

It's hard sometimes to be 3,000 miles away from family and the culture in which you were reared. That said, when I do go home to visit, I tend to remember very quickly all the reasons I left, which were many.

Los Angeles can take it's toll on you from time to time. I can't see ever planting real roots or having children here. I feel I would need to be in New England to have a family.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:06 AM

567 posts, read 1,119,483 times
It's strange to always hear transplants describe L.A. as alienating. It's more or less my hometown, going back a few generations.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:11 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
In my experience, growing up in New England, those who leave are generally one of two groups.

1. Old people who retire to somewhere warmer like Florida.

2. People who leave in their 20s because they can't find a decent job. They end up moving places like Arizona or Texas, with good job markets, but I'd say at least half of them hate wherever they end up moving.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:23 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,798,306 times
I grew up in New England, and went to college here. I moved out to Southern California after college only because I wanted to live somewhere else. I easily could have found a good job in my field in the Boston area. I was out there for about 4 and a half years and have since moved back.

Pretty much every person I know from high school and college moved to either California, or NYC. Very few moved to Texas, North Carolina, South Carolina, or Georgia (the states that have seen big growth). I know more people who moved to Colorado than any other those states.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:58 AM

2,722 posts, read 6,108,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Pretty much every person I know from high school and college moved to either California, or NYC. Very few moved to Texas, North Carolina, South Carolina, or Georgia (the states that have seen big growth). I know more people who moved to Colorado than any other those states.
This is what I've noticed as well, with the exception of a couple friends moving to FL. NYC, LA nd SF seemed to be the most popular destinations, and most eventually moved back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.