U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 08:04 AM

45 posts, read 111,836 times

Advertisements

I am a young college-educated professional with 2 years of experience in SQL database administration/development. I've done a lot of research on which city to move to and start my career.

The usual suspects always seem to be San Francisco, Boston, Seattle and NYC. However, I don't think I could afford to live in any of these cities (maybe only Seattle), because of the sky-high rent prices.

So I'm asking for help. Which big city, other than those mentioned above, should I move to to start my career as a database administrator/developer.

The general criteria are:

- decent salary compared with rent prices, for someone with (only) 2 years of experience

- good/solid public transit, as I would have to live without a car at first

- not too extreme a climate

- relatively low crime

- professional sports

Thank you for advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2013, 08:18 AM

7,946 posts, read 15,045,063 times
Your problem is that most places that are 'hip' and also have great public transit are also very expensive to live in.

My first suggestion to you would probably certainly be Austin, followed by Raleigh-Durham. Dallas and Houston also fit your criteria and while it is possible to live without a car in those cities, its far more convenient if you have one. You need to figure out how important living car-free is to you. If its a top priority, I would say just get several roommates and do SF, Seattle, or Portland.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:15 AM

12,391 posts, read 24,567,618 times
doing IT sql stuff... any city should work that has big companies b/c they all use a version of SQL whether MS/Oracle/etc for their database. It's kind of like health care, everywhere needs it. Really, you can't buy a beater car on a DB Admin salary?

Honestly no cities really meet your criteria of mild weather/public transit options/low cost. If you find that city let us know.

Last edited by grapico; 06-29-2013 at 09:26 AM..

Old 06-29-2013, 11:06 AM

56,609 posts, read 80,910,543 times
Maybe Pittsburgh, but the weather still be a bit extreme for you. Denver could be a possibility too.

Old 06-29-2013, 12:58 PM

413 posts, read 652,870 times
Seattle is relatively expensive, but not in the same category as Boston, NY or SF (yet). My wife's sister signed a lease last year on a 1 Bedroom apartment in a very walkable part of Capitol Hill, the most happening neighborhood in the city for $975/month. With a roommate, your rent can realistically be $750/month sharing a decent 2 BR place somewhere close to public transit.

Also, you're focusing on costs but the salary in Seattle for a DBA with a degree and a couple of years of experience should be around 50k per year, easily. Unless you have a whole lot of student loan debt, that should be doable without a car.

Seattle meets all of your criteria, and it's more affordable than you think.

Old 06-29-2013, 01:06 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,707,686 times
Detroit would be good. Compuware, quickloans, DTE (power company) EDS, GM and many others. the madison building was just renovated. The only downside of finding rent downtown and midtown is a waiting list and now rent has risen up. Their is so many events going on downtown plus concerts. Great bars to be at for parties. You can mostly bike around downtown and midtown safely. Opening day for baseball is just one big party all day starting at 6am and going all the way to 2am. Good pro sports atmosphere.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:35 PM

232 posts, read 321,714 times
Most people who work in Boston do not live there. It's a tiny city, in square miles. If you go out to the suburb towns and cities where most people commute from, you'll find more affordable accommodations. There are plenty of these little towns/cities within 10-20 miles of Boston off the commuter rail lines. People commute to Boston from as far as Plymouth, 50 miles south, and even from New Hampshire, 50 miles to the north (about an hour to hour and 1/2 rush hour commute from either direction, by train & subway).

Old 06-30-2013, 06:30 AM

21,189 posts, read 30,372,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark7 View Post

The usual suspects always seem to be San Francisco, Boston, Seattle and NYC. However, I don't think I could afford to live in any of these cities (maybe only Seattle), because of the sky-high rent prices.
Where does that logic come from? Has it occurred to you that there are tens of thousands of individuals like yourself already living comfortably in those cities doing exactly (or close to) what you do for a living? It's one thing to be afraid of moving to a big city, but don't undermine your intelligence by suggesting it's not attainable for other similar individuals with in-demand job skills.

Old 06-30-2013, 08:33 AM

189 posts, read 306,181 times
Its all about what you can tolerate and what amenities you want in life and the prices you are willing to pay for them. As you mentioned, the big hip metros will give you what you want but at a higher price or you have to be willing to commute longer. If I made infinite money, there would be no doubt that I would live in a penthouse in San Francisco or NYC. However, few of us are so lucky.

Personally, I'd rather live a block away from where I work and my favorite restaurants, and own my condo (as I do now) than commute 40 minutes to work and play and rent like I would have to in more popular cities. I can leave for the airport 1.5 hours before my plane is supposed to leave. I'm annoyed when I have to park more than half a block from where I have to be. I've lived life in the bigger cities with the crowded commutes and packed public transit (Boston green line, I'm looking at you) and I wouldn't ever go back now that I know I can live like this. My friend told me the other day that St. Louis isn't "hip" yet but he doesn't care because its the easiest life hes ever lived. I think hes summed it up properly. Its all about where you draw the line for your personal life.

I know that there is a fairly large IT industry here in St. Louis and Boeing is moving 600 IT jobs from Seattle to St. Louis this year. Several other companies are consolidating to this city too and a large datacenter (2nd largest in the country?) is being considered downtown.

Other places with IT jobs, low cost of living, and seem like great places to live are Austin, Pittsburgh, Portland, and Denver. Big cities in the "New South" like Houston and Atlanta are a consideration as well but some people cannot stand the heat.

Old 06-30-2013, 08:35 AM

13,403 posts, read 21,198,104 times
I would consider Dallas as well. Lots of tech jobs here and an excellent scene for young professionals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or