U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2013, 02:47 PM

1,576 posts, read 2,538,782 times

Advertisements

As a native Southern Californian. The East Coast to me when I was over there seemed a bit more uptight, traditional, and more fast paced than what I'm used to out here. It also seem less individualistic in fashion also. It seemed like most people followed a certain style, instead of the many styles I see out here in So Cal.

For the East Coasters who come or moved to the West Coast. Do you notice any large differences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 03:21 PM

232 posts, read 322,078 times
Your descriptions are accurate: NE is more traditional, uptight, more neutral fashion, and especially more fast paced (all generally speaking of course).

CA seems less bookish. It seems generally more open, accommodating and has less "attitude problem". But Californians can be unintentionally rude in their own way, by being thoughtless or careless rather than from an attitude problem; less alertness. More general apathy and self-absorption in CA, but also more adventurous/spontaneous folks.

Old 06-30-2013, 03:27 PM

701 posts, read 640,013 times
Pace and attitude is definitely the first thing you notice

When I moved from CT to AZ 6 years ago, I noticed people were a lil more friendlier here. People would say hi and smile at you whereas back home, you had to say something or else no one would care about your presence

Walking in the mall or down the street, people walk slower and more relaxed than back East as well.

Let's not forget that people move all the time and CA and AZ are made up of a lot of transplants from the Midwest and some East. I notice more midwestern people here in Phoenix but even that is a diff attitude than East. So here, it's a bit of a mix of midwest and west coast, CA style.

Midwestern people are not confrontational like East coasters as well, I noticed

Old 06-30-2013, 03:29 PM

701 posts, read 640,013 times
And when you say east coast, let's rule out the South and Florida since they are kind of in a world of their own lol

Old 06-30-2013, 03:35 PM

1,576 posts, read 2,538,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5pyg1a55 View Post
Your descriptions are accurate: NE is more traditional, uptight, more neutral fashion, and especially more fast paced (all generally speaking of course).

CA seems less bookish. It seems generally more open, accommodating and has less "attitude problem". But Californians can be unintentionally rude in their own way, by being thoughtless or careless rather than from an attitude problem; less alertness. More general apathy and self-absorption in CA, but also more adventurous/spontaneous folks.
I forgot to add the Ivy League "Where do you go to go school" type of pedigree doesn't exist out here. I've heard these type of questions alot out East. No one cares which college or university you went to out here. A USC degree does have a bit of status here, but thats mostly in the film industry.

Old 06-30-2013, 04:31 PM

232 posts, read 322,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
I forgot to add the Ivy League "Where do you go to go school" type of pedigree doesn't exist out here. I've heard these type of questions alot out East. No one cares which college or university you went to out here. A USC degree does have a bit of status here, but thats mostly in the film industry.

VERY true. The only time I've been asked this out here is by people who work at one of the local universities. But when it rears it's ugly, pretentious head, it is the same as the Northeast.

At the place I volunteer, I had a group once come in from Pepperdine. Real pretentious and suspicious. The Professor was real patronizing. Looked at me with "deer in the headlights" look as though she couldn't believe I was the one booked to give her precious group a lecture- based on my appearance alone. She asked "what high school did you go to? You look soooo young" LOL. I'm a nearly 30 yr old married woman!! So I told her and her group the New England college I went to. It shut them up and changed their looks very quickly.

It would never have come up otherwise- I always disliked that kind of pompous behavior in the NE.

Old 06-30-2013, 05:14 PM

56,672 posts, read 80,973,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnvlv247 View Post
And when you say east coast, let's rule out the South and Florida since they are kind of in a world of their own lol
I'd even rule out the Interior Northeast or at least being to the same degree.

Old 06-30-2013, 06:35 PM

9,385 posts, read 9,548,809 times
Other than immigrant communities, California doesn't have the same community/Town pride that the Northeast has because of the relative lack of deep roots/common culture within a town or community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or