Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 02:43 PM

799 posts, read 1,027,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deena75 View Post
JaySwelly-I wouldn't mind the suburbs of a large city. I was initially looking at Galveston but the hurricane thing scared me off. I know there are huge differences but between Houston, DFW, or San Antonio in your opinion which city is better?
Texas rarely gets hurricanes, they tend to hit Florida; however, both Galveston and Florida are well prepared for any potential hurricanes.

I grew up in DFW, so naturally it's my favorite. I would describe them like this:

DFW - Dallas is flashy, prententious, business, Dallas Cowboys. Ft. Worth is laid back, Western.
Houston - closer to the gulf, so more humid and more ocean breeze, hot humid summer
San Antonio - most suburban feel of the three, not very dense. Largest Hispanic influence.
Suburbs - well, they're suburbs, so they are pretty ordinary.

These three cites (Texas Triangle) are actually very similar. They have good road infrastructure and mediocre public transit so you're probably gonna need a car. Slower pace than East Coast cities. People are friendly and not in a fake way. Texas Southern drawl is overrated, I've hardly met anyone here who had one. They each get pretty hot, to the point where it doesn't make a difference. Dallas is drier, then SA is mid, and Houston is humid.

I've left out a lotta stuff about each; for some reason I just can't think of anything else. It's harder comparing the Texas cities to each other than Dallas to Atlanta or Miami. They're all great cities, you just have to find which one is your favorite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 02:48 PM

27,889 posts, read 29,685,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deena75 View Post
My son and I moved to Utah from Maryland more than 5 years ago and have regretted it all except the fact that I met my husband and have added 2 beautiful step-daughters. I moved here to get a fresh start after getting a divorce but did not realize that you will never truly fit in in Utah. They are not accepting of "outsiders" and people are very fake. The only reason I want to move is because of the people.
There will always be people who refuse to accept the blame for not being accepted in a particularly part of the county. If anyone is interested in a different perspective from deena's, I would suggest they do some quick research on the Salt Lake City forum, where the majority of the posters are non-Mormon transplants to Utah. Almost every one of them absolutely loves it in Utah and has found the Mormon population to be very accepting and genuine.

Old 07-02-2013, 03:00 PM

542 posts, read 1,675,305 times
The fact remains that a majority of inhabitants of the SLC area are Mormon, and they tend to clique best with other Mormons with the same beliefs and values (dating, socializing, etc).

Old 07-02-2013, 03:34 PM

799 posts, read 1,027,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
There will always be people who refuse to accept the blame for not being accepted in a particularly part of the county. If anyone is interested in a different perspective from deena's, I would suggest they do some quick research on the Salt Lake City forum, where the majority of the posters are non-Mormon transplants to Utah. Almost every one of them absolutely loves it in Utah and has found the Mormon population to be very accepting and genuine.
I don't think that really matters. Her experience is her experience. If she believes that the LDS community is clique-y, then that's her opinion and it's fair for her to think that. Just because you have meshed well with them doesn't make her the problem. Some people just don't get along. Some may get along with one subset of people and disagree with others. I think people posting in this thread are less concerned with the state of the people in Utah and more interested in helping her find a new home that is more apt to her preferences.

Old 07-02-2013, 03:52 PM

13,336 posts, read 39,717,161 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySwelly View Post
I don't think that really matters. Her experience is her experience. If she believes that the LDS community is clique-y, then that's her opinion and it's fair for her to think that. Just because you have meshed well with them doesn't make her the problem. Some people just don't get along. Some may get along with one subset of people and disagree with others. I think people posting in this thread are less concerned with the state of the people in Utah and more interested in helping her find a new home that is more apt to her preferences.
I don't think Katzpur was trying to imply that the OP is at fault. Rather, I think she was merely trying to point out that the OP's experiences aren't necessarily typical of non-Mormons in Utah. Since there are thousands of people who read these forums and never post, and since many Mormons in Utah are understandably tired of being picked on in these forums, I don't think Katzpur was wrong to make her post.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 07-03-2013, 09:04 AM

23 posts, read 36,618 times
Quote:
If you read closer I said It's not just Mormons here who are clicky. I have met many people who feel the same as I do about not fitting in even Mormons from outside Utah have a difficult time adjusting. I am not attacking LDS at all . I have met some great people from the LDS church but that is as far as it has gone. Just surface stuff. As far as accepting blame that statement is really unjustified. I have lived in several states Maryland, Pennsylvania, and Colorado and have not encountered any problems like here but again it is MY EXPERIENCE.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:35 PM

6 posts, read 20,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_show View Post
The fact remains that a majority of inhabitants of the SLC area are Mormon, and they tend to clique best with other Mormons with the same beliefs and values (dating, socializing, etc).
The majority of the Salt Lake City area is non-LDS, approximately 42% of the SLC area is LDS, 62% of the state is LDS, that is members on record, not active LDS.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:32 PM

6 posts, read 20,804 times
It sounds like you have met a group of people that have already filled the amount of people they need to have close connections with. I grew up in California, it took awhile to make connections I was in the beginning stages of my divorce when I came here. I am in a small town & many people here do have family in the area so they don't all have the need for more friends, others do not have that attachment here. I have made some very close connections over the years & several other great connections that I am able to enjoy from time to time.

Good luck in finding the best fit for your family.

Old 07-05-2013, 02:52 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,852,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaciaLynn1 View Post
The majority of the Salt Lake City area is non-LDS, approximately 42% of the SLC area is LDS, 62% of the state is LDS, that is members on record, not active LDS.
Have you ever been to SLC? The city itself is smallish and is surrounded by strong LDS majority suburbs. Sure, the actual city proper may have a smaller LDS population compared to the rest of Utah, but SLC proper is a little island surrounded by a huge ocean of suburbs which make up most of Utah. I guess what I am saying is the fact SLC itself has a lower percentage compared to the rest of the metro doesn't say much. The main LDS attractions are in SLC itself, thus the city is always teeming with active LDS members.

Old 07-05-2013, 03:02 PM

37,737 posts, read 40,789,075 times
Jobs first. The research you need to do first is where do they need people like you and your husband for whatever kind of work you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.