U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 01:48 AM

13 posts, read 8,226 times

Advertisements

How is everyone doing? I have been searching for sometime now for a nice place to start off new, I just haven't found the right combination of work,affordability,what I am looking for, generally all the problems everyone else faces. I am single and will most likely being doing this on my own unless I can convince a buddy to tag along, but that is ok.

Anyway a little about myself, I am 22 and am from NJ. I have lived here my whole life(same town, same house) except for a brief period of 8 months where I lived in Texas. I love the outdoors, sports especially hockey, nature, anything that is active really, don't do well sitting around inside all day. I have put partying behind me, have had my problems with that and like to continue on the straight and narrow. I never completed college and separated from the Air Force with less than a year of service due to not passing school.

As you can see above I don't have much education or work experience in "high" demand fields. Is there any places that are suited for people that are just hard working anymore? I am not in a situation where I have to find a place right away or really ever as I have a home here for as long as I need.(Parents)

Right now I have close to $10,000 and figure now(3-6 months) is best time to try this and go out on my own and attempt to start new, don't want to end up like most people around here stuck. I love the beach but I know that brings high prices, I am pretty open to most places at this point.

I know this is all over the place and I apologize so if anyone has any suggestions I am open to them. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 05:38 AM

745 posts, read 912,868 times
So you've been to San Antonio already. What did you think of Texas?

Old 07-06-2013, 06:52 AM

21,207 posts, read 30,420,192 times
I would recommend checking out some areas of the Midwest which have low unemployment rates coupled with a lower cost of living. Cities like Columbus, Omaha and Des Moines fit the bill and offer plenty of social/recreational opportunity for someone your age and allow for minimal impact to your savings in terms of getting settled.

Columbus, Ohio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Omaha, Nebraska - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Des Moines, Iowa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you're really leaning toward a beach/coastal environment, check out Jacksonville. It has the lowest unemployment rate of the big cities in Florida (6.5%), has the lowest cost of living of the big cities in Florida (cost of living index of 95, US Average is 100) and the second highest average wage in the state. The beaches are beautiful and there is a ton to do.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacksonville,_Florida

Old 07-06-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan83 View Post
So you've been to San Antonio already. What did you think of Texas?
Well I was in a training environment the whole time I was there so it could have been more enjoyable. I don't think I would have a problem in the bigger cities such as San Antonio, Houston, Austin or Dallas but would like to steer clear of West Texas. Friendly people but there is almost nothing there.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:29 AM

7,946 posts, read 15,055,318 times
Austin, Denver, Minneapolis, Portland, Seattle, Boston and San Francisco are among the best places to be in your twenties these days.

Boston and San Francisco are probably a little high on the COL for you but the others should be doable. If you like Texas, Austin is where its at right now. If you don't require as much of a hipster vibe, Dallas and Houston have great economies as well.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:23 AM

6,319 posts, read 6,983,961 times
Hmm, you may want to try to narrow down your options somehow. What fields do you think you'd enjoy working in? Do you have any friends or family in other parts of the country? Are you interested in taking classes as well? Will you be bringing a car with you?

All random questions but as of right now I feel like your focus is way too broad for anyone to make really good suggestions.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Hmm, you may want to try to narrow down your options somehow. What fields do you think you'd enjoy working in? Do you have any friends or family in other parts of the country? Are you interested in taking classes as well? Will you be bringing a car with you?

All random questions but as of right now I feel like your focus is way too broad for anyone to make really good suggestions.
Agreed. I threw out the typical twentysomething cities but depending on what he is looking for they may not be the best choices.

Also in response to what he said above, San Antonio is not 'West Texas' and actually has quite a bit there. Plus, it's very close to Austin.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post

Well I like work involving the outdoors, I don't mind working with people but can work just as well by myself. When I was younger I worked at a restaurant and liked that, also I worked warehouse for FEDEX and delivered for them and really enjoyed that. I have an associate in the Daytona Area that I use to work with at a meat warehouse that apparently started a moving company done there while I was away in the service. I do also have a second cousin down in Florida. Other than that I would have to ask my parents.

As for classes I would eventually like to go back to school, I do have 30 credits already and at this point and time I don't have a car but am able to get one if I need be. I would rather not sink money into a car in the beginning. Hope this helps!

Thanks a lot for everyone's help so far!

Old 07-06-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Agreed. I threw out the typical twentysomething cities but depending on what he is looking for they may not be the best choices.

Also in response to what he said above, San Antonio is not 'West Texas' and actually has quite a bit there. Plus, it's very close to Austin.
I know San Antonio isn't West Texas, I was in San Angelo for 6 months though after I left San Antonio

Old 07-06-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanHarter View Post
Well I like work involving the outdoors, I don't mind working with people but can work just as well by myself. When I was younger I worked at a restaurant and liked that, also I worked warehouse for FEDEX and delivered for them and really enjoyed that. I have an associate in the Daytona Area that I use to work with at a meat warehouse that apparently started a moving company done there while I was away in the service. I do also have a second cousin down in Florida. Other than that I would have to ask my parents.

As for classes I would eventually like to go back to school, I do have 30 credits already and at this point and time I don't have a car but am able to get one if I need be. I would rather not sink money into a car in the beginning. Hope this helps!

Thanks a lot for everyone's help so far!
Alright, if you want to live without a car, I would say Portland, Seattle, or possibly Austin (though I am not sure how comfortably you can get by car-free there). If you don't mind having several roommates you could do San Francisco or even NYC.

If you don't mind getting a car, then that opens up just about anywhere to you. A lot of young people put high priority on an area with liberal politics and a large arts and live music scene. Is that something important to you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.