Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 08:39 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,281,600 times

Advertisements

I've noticed that people from the Midwest and West Coast say they don't have accents(When they obviously do, even tough its less distinct than Southern/Northeastern accents), but most Southerners and Northeasterners know they have one, and are proud of their accents. It seems that Americans from West of the Mississippi think they speak in the same general accent, compared to Americans from East of the Mississippi who recognize thier own accents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 05:59 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,784,576 times
A lot of people in the northeast speak like people in the midwest. My cousins (from the Midwest) and my parents (from the northeast) speak relatively the same. There are only a few subtle differences like when my cousins say "pop" instead of soda.

I, on the other hand, have a strong accent that is very noticeable, but I know I've always had it because my parents would tease me about it.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:55 AM

1,644 posts, read 2,163,130 times
I grew up in the south and I have a noticeably thick accent...the Bostonian that I sit three desks down from has a noticeably thick accent as well.....however we both work in Nebraska which has a very neutral American accent. More often than not we don't really notice our accent until someone from outside our bubble brings it up.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:21 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,173,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
A lot of people in the northeast speak like people in the midwest. My cousins (from the Midwest) and my parents (from the northeast) speak relatively the same. There are only a few subtle differences like when my cousins say "pop" instead of soda.

I, on the other hand, have a strong accent that is very noticeable, but I know I've always had it because my parents would tease me about it.
Interior northeastern accents (Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Rochester, cities in Vermont etc) sound similar to Midwestern accents but coastal northeastern accents (Philadelphia, New Jersey, New York and to a lesser extent Boston, which has a nasal sound to the accent that is kind of similar to some Midwestern accents) sounds very different from Midwestern accents
You would never hear someone from the Midwest sound like this

YouTube

Cookin wit Cousin Vinnie, Clams & Linguine. iannellisbakery.com - YouTube

Philadelphia Inquirer mob writer George Anastasia speaks at Rowan - YouTube

Old 07-21-2013, 12:07 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,281,600 times
bump

Old 07-21-2013, 05:12 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,587,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post

We're I'm at now, there's a twang or something, not a stereotypcial NY accent (as I think of it, LI'ish or NY'ish). Just a kind of a drawn- out- vowels accent w/ a Midwest twang. Hard to describe, but there!

California is neutral, never heard it! Zonies either, flat, neutral.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:02 PM

12,769 posts, read 18,294,493 times
I think it is easier for Northeasterners to identify other Northeastern accents than it is for us to identify Southern. For example, if I meet a Bostonian, or a Pittsburghian or someone from upstate NY I can identify where they are from but Southern to me, I know it is Southern but I wouldn't be able to identify if they were from GA or SC or AL etc etc. BTW I don't consider people from Miami to have a Southern accent. Their accents are actually more similar to those of the Northeast.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:21 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,269,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
I've noticed that people from the Midwest and West Coast say they don't have accents(When they obviously do, even tough its less distinct than Southern/Northeastern accents), but most Southerners and Northeasterners know they have one, and are proud of their accents. It seems that Americans from West of the Mississippi think they speak in the same general accent, compared to Americans from East of the Mississippi who recognize thier own accents.
Texans, Louisianans, Arkansans, and Oklahomans are west of the Mississippi, and I'm sure they all clearly recognize their accents.

Old 07-21-2013, 04:42 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,141,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Texans, Louisianans, Arkansans, and Oklahomans are west of the Mississippi, and I'm sure they all clearly recognize their accents.
Half of Louisiana is east of the river. I am.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:06 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,269,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Half of Louisiana is east of the river. I am.
Yes, we know that Greater New Orleans and Baton Rouge technically straddle the Mississippi, but, regardless of population, the majority of the state's land and its cultural regions are west of the river and identify more with the states on this side.

My point is that the Mississippi River is no longer an adequate measurement of any cultural barriers, and shouldn't be used as such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.