U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2013, 02:31 PM

146 posts, read 227,075 times

Advertisements

Here is my criteria of what to me would be my playground to age in.

Plenty of other older women. I'm 50 so 50-70 not meaning 70---

A community center or some such right near by that allows for 50+ participation, many classes like tap dancing, drawing, free computer useage, etc, 3-4 bucks a class. Plenty of little localish group tours to a zoo or whatnot for a very affordable price.

Maybe an art school near. Or university that is easy to use. This isn't make or break.

Rents under 650 for a 1 bedroom.

Maybe a small walkable downtown (doesn't need to be a small town) if that makes sense

Lovely flora and fauna it MUST be pretty. No gritty city for me.

Has lots of festivals or such to enjoy.

Not too cold. I really like the sun, so no PNW

Someplace that has free outdoor concerts, or movies. Someplace you'd feel it easy to make relationships and find interests because there is so much opportunity.

A place with a real sense of community--

Really great parks, or woods or beach or clear lake or mountains, somewhere to just be...

I want these amenities in a concentrated area, minimal travel necessary.

Got anywhere you can think of?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 02:43 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,126,638 times
Tampa or Orlando

Old 07-07-2013, 03:31 PM

437 posts, read 557,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma X View Post
Tampa or Orlando
Ya need to travel in both these beautiful cities. MOST FL cities require a car, and don't have most of what the OP suggested. May work for YOU... not poo-poo'ing your suggestions, only comparing them to the OP's post.

I looked at Hollywood, FL as a possible choice, as they're revitalizing their entire downtown area.... making it more livable for those who don't have transportation and want their basic needs met, within walking distance.

The only remembrance I have of Hollywood, FL is when I was living in Pompano Beach, back in the late 80's... and it was more or less "God's Waiting Room". Not for the lively set, nor those who were still able to get around on their own.

I'm interested to know if anyone has been there, recently, and if would suffice as "An Older Woman's Playground".

bullie~

Old 07-07-2013, 05:13 PM

5,266 posts, read 3,662,480 times
Carrollton, Georgia
Check it out.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Carrollton, Georgia
Check it out.
Checked it out.

Male......Female......Median age.......Under 21.......21-65........65 and over.....85 and over
9,241.....10,602......26.3................6,986... ........10,617........2,240.............389

NOT the best odds for women retiring in an area where men outweigh the women. For the 65 and older crowd, though I'm not there yet, is dismal. Women if we're gonna choose this place, we better find a boy before he turns 65. *snort~

THOUGH... it has a great "walk score". Walk Score of Carrollton Georgia

bullie~

Last edited by bullie62; 07-07-2013 at 07:10 PM.. Reason: Formatting

Old 07-07-2013, 08:47 PM

OK I spend a lot of time doing homework........ so here ya go, Mr. Carrollton, GA.

GOOD walk score: Walk Score of Carrollton Georgia

VERY reasonable R.E., if you're looking for a condo/town home, knowing someone else is going to do the work for upkeep: Carrollton Condos for Sale and Carrollton, GA Townhomes for Sale - realtor.com®

^ all that, for $70,000 or LESS. Just make sure you're on the second floor, 'cause flooding MAY be a big issue. Imagine what you could get for YOUR budget!! Huh......

Now..... where are the men? *wink*

bullie~

Old 07-07-2013, 09:40 PM

23,127 posts, read 35,147,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullie62 View Post
Checked it out.

Male......Female......Median age.......Under 21.......21-65........65 and over.....85 and over
9,241.....10,602......26.3................6,986... ........10,617........2,240.............389

NOT the best odds for women retiring in an area where men outweigh the women. For the 65 and older crowd, though I'm not there yet, is dismal. Women if we're gonna choose this place, we better find a boy before he turns 65. *snort~

THOUGH... it has a great "walk score". Walk Score of Carrollton Georgia

bullie~
My guess is that the presence of the University of West Georgia skewed the numbers younger.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:46 PM

23,127 posts, read 35,147,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CABQ View Post
Here is my criteria of what to me would be my playground to age in.

Plenty of other older women. I'm 50 so 50-70 not meaning 70---

A community center or some such right near by that allows for 50+ participation, many classes like tap dancing, drawing, free computer useage, etc, 3-4 bucks a class. Plenty of little localish group tours to a zoo or whatnot for a very affordable price.

Maybe an art school near. Or university that is easy to use. This isn't make or break.

Rents under 650 for a 1 bedroom.

Maybe a small walkable downtown (doesn't need to be a small town) if that makes sense

Lovely flora and fauna it MUST be pretty. No gritty city for me.

Has lots of festivals or such to enjoy.

Not too cold. I really like the sun, so no PNW

Someplace that has free outdoor concerts, or movies. Someplace you'd feel it easy to make relationships and find interests because there is so much opportunity.

A place with a real sense of community--

Really great parks, or woods or beach or clear lake or mountains, somewhere to just be...

I want these amenities in a concentrated area, minimal travel necessary.

Got anywhere you can think of?
Actually, my hometown has a lot of the attributes you're looking for. Our age group is definitely in the majority.

St Simons Guide - The Official Website of Saint Simons Island and the Golden Isles. St Simons Accommodations, Restaurants, Events, Entertainment, and more!

Old 07-07-2013, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
My guess is that the presence of the University of West Georgia skewed the numbers younger.
LovDec.... I get your point. And as someone who believes NOTHING until it's been proven as absolute truth, I agree. And yet, if it's what the "census", *cough cough*, tells us, then that's who is replying, and we're led down a dark path.

And as someone who worked in property management, I can tell you how abrasive some can be, in NOT giving out information. So yes, the numbers are ALWAYS skewed.

So what are we to believe? I wanna hear from someone "our age", who has been living there a while, or is living there NOW, and can attest to the information I posted... *embarrassingly, from Wikipedia* ~hangs head in shame~

bullie~

Old 07-07-2013, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Actually, my hometown has a lot of the attributes you're looking for. Our age group is definitely in the majority.

St Simons Guide - The Official Website of Saint Simons Island and the Golden Isles. St Simons Accommodations, Restaurants, Events, Entertainment, and more!
YES... IT IS ... if you're independently wealthy. Are you a Realtor or Investor? My guess is you have a stake in your posts.....

Prove me wrong, please.

*Edit: I did not intend for this post to come off menacing, nor aggressive. I am very direct, and sometimes that's perceived, even by myself, as a bit pushy. I hope you view, as anyone who reads it, with only the intent of wanting more information, based on fact, and not an advertisement. Thank you.

bullie~

Last edited by bullie62; 07-07-2013 at 11:32 PM.. Reason: Basic message sounded aggressive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.