Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 10:35 PM

132 posts, read 278,961 times

Advertisements

omaha is most eastern western city..i'm here right now and it definitely feels very western but no so far west at all! Kansas city is the most northern southern city!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 05:10 PM

96 posts, read 133,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
How does Atlanta has a "western feel"? I live here and I don't think it does.
Yes I agree as a west coaster that use to live in Atlanta and there was definitely no western feel at all. If anything Atlanta has more of an east coast feel due to the transplants from northeastern cities

Old 01-02-2014, 08:44 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Nashville Sounds, a minor league baseball team, is in the Pacific Coast League, and most music of the "country and western" genre is produced in Nashville.

Fort Worth TX is a western city, and Dallas TX is an eastern city.

In New Orleans, the main bridge to "the West Bank" goes almost straight east.

Mark Twain regarded all of Missouri as "southwestern".

Last edited by jtur88; 01-02-2014 at 09:01 AM..

Old 01-02-2014, 09:15 AM

375 posts, read 799,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianbeach85 View Post
omaha is most eastern western city..i'm here right now and it definitely feels very western but no so far west at all! Kansas city is the most northern southern city!
How is Omaha western? I don't really feel like its terribly western. The architecture and culture seems to be more related to KC and Des Moines and somewhat MSP or Chicago (though only because of the stockyards connection and decent amounts of white ethnics like poles and czechs). If you are talking history, then yes it is related to the west due to the railroads and stockyards, but you could argue Saint Louis is western too. Omaha isn't really western anymore. Same with KC. It was a part of the history, but its gone now. It isn't even the hub for western ne. Most people west of Kearney go to Denver for their big trips, not Omaha.

I guess my belief is that at one time, cities like Omaha and Kansas City and MSP (at least Minneapolis) were the west, and still have some of those traits, but the culture in these cities is solidly midwestern. You don't really get into the west IMHO until you are closer to Denver than you are to KC or Omaha, which is usually around the 100th meridian, though there are places that feel western to the east (like the Flint hills in KS, or parts of the Sandhills in NE) or are more eastern (some of the farming country in Eastern Colorado and southwest NE feels midwestern.

And KC is not a southern city. Its one of the most southern northern cities. Other than Jesse James and a few antebellum homes, Kansas City isn't the south. Kansas City didn't become a large city until the late 1800's and that was due mostly to Irish and Italian immigrants, as well as blacks. It's southern influenced yes, but in that sense its like Chicago. No one's arguing Chicago is southern, but a lot of its blacks still sound like they are from Mississippi. KC isn't southern, but southern influences are more present.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:20 AM

1,773 posts, read 2,673,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The easternmost western city is Kansas City,MO. The westernmost eastern city would be St. Louis,MO.
This

Old 01-02-2014, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuyTownRefugee View Post
Sometimes it seems people confuse what they feel as Eastern as just what they would also feel in most major int'l cities, one wouldn't call the same "feel" if they were in another country, "Eastern".

There were parts of LA I could swear seemed "Eastern" in that regard, but really it was parts that were on par with any world class section whether London, Paris or NY or Mexico City for that matter, the latter has those parts too believe it or not!! , DC, Rome, Edinburgh, Scotland as capitals will have some similarities. THere are main parts of Mexico City I'd swear you're in NY or London.

Hotel and office buildings seem to homogenize places where intl share their networks all over.

But you can be in SF and still get that 'feel'.

Honestly, any decent sized city in America has parts that feel eastern or western, especially once you get out of the northeast. I'll use my city of Omaha as an example. There are parts such as where Warren Buffett lives (the Dundee-Happy Hollow area for Omaha locals) that feel very WASPY and eastern like some of the suburbs in Boston, or like Oak Park IL, while some parts such as north or south o are pretty ghetto and look like places in Chicago or other rust belt towns. I'll agree there isn't much that looks eastern since we don't have row houses, but the places I just mentioned are hardly western. However, if you go to West O or to the suburbs south of Omaha its very western or sun belt like. Even with small towns in Nebraska there are some that are within 5 miles of each other with one that looks more stereotypically western, while some look more midwestern or eastern. Its easy to explain because people move from place to place and want to bring a part of their culture with them. This is why in some ways Omaha resembles a small version of Chicago or Saint Louis, or why even places like SF or LA have areas that look and feel eastern or southern. Even where I live a lot of the villages have street plans similar to European towns. They don't look alike by any means, but you can tell in some places.

Old 01-02-2014, 10:45 AM

2,330 posts, read 3,808,212 times
If we are talking smaller cities then in the north the east ends at Fargo and Sioux Falls and the west begins in Rapid City.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:03 AM

2,233 posts, read 3,162,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianbeach85 View Post
Kansas city is the most northern southern city!

There's nothing southern about KC. Its 100%, quintessentially, archetypally, par excellence midwestern.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:25 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbay33 View Post

And KC is not a southern city. .
Before Brown v. BE, racial segregation was mandatory by state law in all of Missouri, including Kansas City. To this day, Kansas City is one of the worst cities in the US for de-facto segregated neighborhoods. Blacks are made to feel very unwelcome north of the Missouri River in Kansas City.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Before Brown v. BE, racial segregation was mandatory by state law in all of Missouri, including Kansas City. To this day, Kansas City is one of the worst cities in the US for de-facto segregated neighborhoods. Blacks are made to feel very unwelcome north of the Missouri River in Kansas City.
Any large city has segregation. Milwaukee is always the most de facto segregated city in America. Also, remember, across the river from KC in Missouri in Free State Kansas, Blacks and white attended separate elementary schools. Also, in my of Omaha it was said in the 60's the only city that was worse as far as housing inequality was Birmingham. Yes, Missouri may have mandated segregation, but KC is a midwest city as is Saint Louis, even with segregation.

Also, I just asked a friend about this who grew up there, he said that his grandparents attended segregated high schools in the 50's in Indiana, and this was in Indianapolis. No one calls Indianapolis southern do they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.