U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 12:20 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,052,638 times

Advertisements

I ran across this thing on the Minneapolis city website, I thought it was pretty interesting and they have the whole list so I thought I would post it here. The Creative Vitality Index (CVI) is an attempt to create a numerical basis for the comparison of different metro area's per capita creative economies. 60% of the CVI is based on the per capita revenues of arts related goods and services, 40% is based on per capita arts employment. The list is from 2010 and appears to be based on MSAs, these are the top 35:

1. Washington DC
2. New York
3. Los Angeles
4. San Francisco
5. Boston
6. Minneapolis - St Paul
7. Seattle
8. Denver
9. Salt Lake City
10. Austin
11. Las Vegas
12. San Jose
13. Portland
14. Hartford
15. San Diego
16. Milwaukee
17. Philadelphia
18. Columbus
19. Indianapolis
20. Chicago
21. Cleveland
22. Pittsburgh
23. Kansas City
24. Atlanta
25. Baltimore
26. Grand Rapids
27. Miami
28. Charlotte
29. Raleigh
30. St Louis
31. Cincinnati
32. Memphis
33. Houston
34. Phoenix
35. Duluth

http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/gro...s1p-103117.pdf

Edit - I meant to put this in city vs city.

Last edited by Drewcifer; 07-11-2013 at 12:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 01:04 AM

With the inclusion of Duluth and Grand Rapids it looks like they did this for smaller metros too but most didn't make the top 35. I am surprised that Savannah didn't, it must be close.

Old 07-11-2013, 01:07 AM

816 posts, read 1,554,787 times
So only art is considered creative? Don't think I'd agree with that.

Old 07-11-2013, 01:34 AM

There was a wide gamut of things counted - artists, photographers, musicians, music techs, architects, writers, dancers, fashion design, theater and a bunch of other fields.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:13 AM

1,314 posts, read 1,736,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
There was a wide gamut of things counted - artists, photographers, musicians, music techs, architects, writers, dancers, fashion design, theater and a bunch of other fields.
The problem is the best, most cutting edge art in most cities is fairly off the grid and would not be considered on a list like this. Salt Lake City, for example, has added close to nothing to the world over the years in terms of true culture and it's in the top 10; Detroit is hugely influential yet doesn't appear on the list (but nowheresville Grand Rapids does). This is about how much cash a city tosses at ballet and so on, which to me is a completely different thing.

Years back I was shocked to hear that (at the time) Wausau WI spent more on "the arts" per capita than anywhere in the country. It's a complete cultural dead zone, but the elite class of factory owners and so forth built halls and brought in plays and so forth in order to "bring culture" to what is essentially a void. It didn't enrich the local community that much, but I'm sure the elites pointed to the stats whenever having cocktails with their buddies elsewhere in the country.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
This is about how much cash a city tosses at ballet and so on, which to me is a completely different thing.
If you read the criteria you would see that is not what this list is about, the main drivers are occupations and consumer spending. It is not based on historical patterns but on how things are now, i.e. there is no factoring in what a city did in the '60s.

Last edited by Drewcifer; 07-11-2013 at 09:42 AM..

Old 07-11-2013, 09:22 AM

517 posts, read 560,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
Salt Lake City, for example, has added close to nothing to the world over the years in terms of true culture and it's in the top 10; Detroit is hugely influential yet doesn't appear on the list (but nowheresville Grand Rapids does).
Did you read the article? This isn't measuring "contributions to the world".

SLC is a tech hub and has a fair number of creatives. Detroit isn't a tech hub and is not known for a big creative class. Grand Rapids has much more of a creative class than Detroit (at least proportionally).

Old 07-11-2013, 09:30 AM

1,277 posts, read 4,153,977 times
Columbus as 18 is not surprising considering it has the 3rd largest employment of fashion designers behind LA and NY. Limited, Victorias Sectret, Express, Abercrombie, etc all have headquarters there bringing in a lot of creative talent. Plus Ohio State and 12 other universities/colleges

Old 07-11-2013, 09:38 AM

774 posts, read 839,981 times
Big disappointment for Chicago too see its ranking bunched along with other midwestern cities on the list despite its size (How does Milwaukee have a more creative vitality than Chitown?). With all of the art institutions and big time art enclaves such as River North and Bucktown/Wicker Park, it deserves a much higher spot on this list. Interesting also that Baltimore, despite being close to DC is so much lower as well. Philadelphia is also a bit disappointing despite having University City/Old City and one of the best art museums and the Avenue of the Arts, and still show that these cities are Rust Belt/Manufacturing at heart. Houston is another disapointment for its size, despite the presence of NASA, though its more justifiable since it lacks a widely-known art scene like Austin has. I doubt its the hood areas that drag them down since NY, LA, and DC have their parts.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:11 AM

1,314 posts, read 1,736,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH_CDM View Post
Did you read the article? This isn't measuring "contributions to the world".

SLC is a tech hub and has a fair number of creatives. Detroit isn't a tech hub and is not known for a big creative class. Grand Rapids has much more of a creative class than Detroit (at least proportionally).
And you missed my entire point - in the real world, a place like Detroit is "creatively vital" and Salt Lake City is NOT. Therefore, the term "creative vitality index" is wholly misleading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.