Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 11:26 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,854,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Thanks for proving my point…

Maybe 72 degree waters are cold to you. But it's not cold to a lot of people. It feels great when you go in to escape the heat and humidity, though beaches tend to be far less humid. While I do love 85 degree water, as well, sometimes it can be too warm. Bath water isn't always desired when you're trying to cool off.
72 degrees is fine...for cold weather. Those are winter time water temperatures along the Texas Gulf Coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Of course, to swim at Galveston's beaches, you actually have to go into the diarrheal sludge. It doesn't help the experience that it's almost body temperature.
Body temperature is 98 degrees genius.

Galveston's water is not dirty because of sewage it looks dirty because of silt (sand & clay) from the Mighty Mississippi River. I'd rather swim in a brown ocean than a brown lake anyday as salt water kills everything.

That said, silt is actually very fertile.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_silt

Old 07-15-2013, 11:35 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,749,776 times
Yes, California is distinct.

So is every other region of the U.S.

There are some individual states that, like California, are distinct in and of themselves: Florida, Texas, New Mexico, Alaska, Hawaii, Oregon/Washington (they're more similar than not to each other, but not the rest of the U.S.), and Kentucky/West Virginia (like OR/WA in their own sense).

Old 07-16-2013, 12:10 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,011,170 times
No. It's not..

Old 07-16-2013, 12:36 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,107,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Body temperature is 98 degrees genius.

Galveston's water is not dirty because of sewage it looks dirty because of silt (sand & clay) from the Mighty Mississippi River. I'd rather swim in a brown ocean than a brown lake anyday as salt water kills everything.

That said, silt is actually very fertile.

What is silt
Again, you are either confused or delusional. So, the industrial and agricultural pollution of Galveston Bay has no effect on Galveston, but the Mississippi's (all clean, with no agricultural or industrial runoff there, I'm sure) clean, fertile silt somehow does an end-around on it and makes the water brown?

I agree it isn't sewage...at least not all of it is. Please remember the years of River Oaks dumping raw sewage into Buffalo Bayou, which becomes the industrial, petrochemical hellhole known as the Houston Ship Channel, which drains into...Galveston Bay, of which Galveston is a barrier island. But I'm sure that's all just fertile silt from the Mississippi. The toxic stuff probably doesn't get churned up in the surf. Please also look out on the horizon at the many leaking wells and rusting steel platforms. I guess the regular occurrences of tar on the beach at Galveston are just more fertile silt washing up.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Again, you are either confused or delusional. So, the industrial and agricultural pollution of Galveston Bay has no effect on Galveston, but the Mississippi's (all clean, with no agricultural or industrial runoff there, I'm sure) clean, fertile silt somehow does an end-around on it and makes the water brown?

I agree it isn't sewage...at least not all of it is. Please remember the years of River Oaks dumping raw sewage into Buffalo Bayou, which becomes the industrial, petrochemical hellhole known as the Houston Ship Channel, which drains into...Galveston Bay, of which Galveston is a barrier island. But I'm sure that's all just fertile silt from the Mississippi. The toxic stuff probably doesn't get churned up in the surf. Please also look out on the horizon at the many leaking wells and rusting steel platforms. I guess the regular occurrences of tar on the beach at Galveston are just more fertile silt washing up.
Ok two can play that game

Old 07-16-2013, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Ok two can play that game
I don't understand. Are you conceding? Or, are you trying to divert the conversation?

Old 07-16-2013, 01:26 AM

Quote:
I don't understand. Are you conceding? Or, are you trying to divert the conversation?
Pictures say 1,000 words.

We all know California has the most polluted cities in the country & interestingly enough even their water is super polluted. So much for the left wing environmentalists out there doing jack squat.

Texas Conservatives hate the environment thought right?

Houston/Galveston didn't even crack the top 10 in 2 out of the 3 categories.

http://www.lung.org/press-room/press...iation-18.html

Last edited by Metro Matt; 07-16-2013 at 01:48 AM..

Old 07-16-2013, 01:49 AM

You found a picture of an oil spill cleanup on an urban waterway that has no relevance whatsoever to your claim that Galveston water is clean.

I am well aware of pollution in San Francisco Bay. The difference is, I don't fool myself into thinking it is clean, fertile silt. relative to Texas, the beaches of Northern California are very clean, so I am not sure what your point is. Urban waterways are polluted no matter where you go, which is a seemingly unavoidable shame, but the beach water here where people, rather than ships provide the traffic is clear and blue, not brown and murky as in Galveston.

Okay, you like pictures:

An hour from San Francisco is Pt. Reyes National Seashore. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...bf/PRlight.jpg

An hour from Houston is Galveston. File:Galveston Bay.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Note: I picked photos of similarly cloudy days at both places. I've heard some Texans try to say that water color is more determinant on blue sky it is reflecting...

Would you care to address that statement about how clean Galveston is or not?

Old 07-16-2013, 01:56 AM

Quote:
You found a picture of an oil spill cleanup on an urban waterway that has no relevance whatsoever to your claim that Galveston water is clean.

I am well aware of pollution in San Francisco Bay. The difference is, I don't fool myself into thinking it is clean, fertile silt. relative to Texas, the beaches of Northern California are very clean, so I am not sure what your point is. Urban waterways are polluted no matter where you go, which is a seemingly unavoidable shame, but the beach water here where people, rather than ships provide the traffic is clear and blue, not brown and murky as in Galveston.

Okay, you like pictures:

An hour from San Francisco is Pt. Reyes National Seashore. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...bf/PRlight.jpg

An hour from Houston is Galveston. File:Galveston Bay.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Note: I picked photos of similarly cloudy days at both places. I've heard some Texans try to say that water color is more determinant on blue sky it is reflecting...

Would you care to address that statement about how clean Galveston is or not?
That pic you posted was on the industrial side of Galveston Bay where not even a turtle would dare venture off to, not at the real beach. This is what our water & coasts really look like here in Texas.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 07-16-2013 at 02:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.