Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2013, 07:46 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,296,717 times

Advertisements

With the exception of Las Vegas(which is basically a Californian city,lol), and Phoenix. The rest of the US seems totally different than what I'm used to in So Cal, and the Bay Area, where make most Californians live. Due to the diversity of immigrants from Asia, Mexico, and Central America. It gives California has a unique flavor not found in the rest of the US.

Whenever I travel to parts of the country, I could feel the difference right away. As the fashion, mannerisms, cuisine, and less diversity stick out to me.

Do you guys on CD think California is a world of it's own in the US?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 07:49 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
With the exception of Las Vegas(which is basically a Californian city,lol), and Phoenix. The rest of the US seems totally different than what I'm used to in So Cal, and the Bay Area, where make most Californians live. Due to the diversity of immigrants from Asia, Mexico, and Central America. It gives California has a unique flavor not found in the rest of the US.

Whenever I travel to parts of the country, I could feel the difference right away. As the fashion, mannerisms, cuisine, and less diversity stick out to me.

California is a very diverse state. It used to be there was a huge difference between Northern California (Bay Area) and SoCal. Today, the dichotomy is more inland vs. coastal California. In places like Bakersfield, you would never know you are in the most liberal state in the US.

Old 07-12-2013, 07:55 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,458,487 times
The Bay area is just a sunnier version of Seattle to me. The entire Pacific Coast is pretty close in culture excluding the rural areas.

Old 07-12-2013, 07:57 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post

You've never been to Texas I take it.

We have immigrants from all over the World here.

Texas is like California's fraternal twin in lots of ways.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:00 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
California's not the only place with a diverse mix of immigrants, but something about it does unique about it. Far Northern California has more in common with the Pacific Northwest and the Inland West in general, not sure where to place Humboldt County.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:03 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,770,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
not sure where to place Humboldt County.
Floating in the sky somewhere near the southern half of Eugene, Oregon.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:05 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,296,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
California's not the only place with a diverse mix of immigrants, but something about it does unique about it. Far Northern California has more in common with the Pacific Northwest and the Inland West in general, not sure where to place Humboldt County.
California north of Redding is basically an extension of Oregon, lol.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:28 PM

10,744 posts, read 23,798,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
You've never been to Texas I take it.

We have immigrants from all over the World here.

Texas is like California's fraternal twin in lots of ways.
Yet more often than not, the states are vastly different from one another (topography alone set California and Texas very far apart). They are both worlds of their own really. I'm sure as an immigrant from most any country acclimating to Texas would be a very different experience from adapting to California. But anyway, this thread is about California, not Texas.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:24 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Yet more often than not, the states are vastly different from one another (topography alone set California and Texas very far apart). They are both worlds of their own really. I'm sure as an immigrant from most any country acclimating to Texas would be a very different experience from adapting to California. But anyway, this thread is about California, not Texas.
They are the two largest states in North America.

Their topography while not exactly the same is not all that much different when you really get down to it.

Texas has mountains, hills, beaches, deserts, plains, & forests just like California does. No other states besides Texas & California can claim such a diverse mixture of topography.

About the only thing we don't have here that California does is snow skiing & redwoods.

Old 07-13-2013, 01:00 AM

4,156 posts, read 5,558,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
But anyway, this thread is about California, not Texas.
Good luck with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.