Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 11:36 AM

434 posts, read 1,040,435 times

Advertisements

Currently live in Atlanta ,Georgia (Cobb County to be exact) for about 10 yrs. I found it to be more livable than New York but is there better? Traffic is bad, crime is bad (not too bad in Cobb, though), and I don't care what anybody says the south is cold! Just not as cold as the north and less snowy. And there is no indian summer here unless the rest of the eastern US is getting a indian summer. That is the reason I put Florida in there because I like warm weather. As for weather Texas is warmer than Georgia (I know when Texas gets cold it can get COLD!!! But in general it stays warmer and they actually do have indian summers in Texas). South GA has a warmer climate than N. GA but it seems like all the jobs are in Atlanta, the rest of GA is a collection of towns and small cities that I don't here anything particulary good about. Correct me if I'm wrong, though. I wouldn't mind life in a town away from the big city (less traffic and rat race is a good thing) as long as I can find a decent job, home, and not struggling with my bills. My question is quality of life, resonable cost of living, and my taste for warm weather would fit better in Florida or Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 03:12 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericmrtt View Post
My question is quality of life, resonable cost of living, and my taste for warm weather would fit better in Florida or Texas.
Quality of life- Tie. Florida has an edge, it's major cities have less traffic and pollution than Texas cities.

Weather- Florida, it's humid, but not nearly as humid as east or south Texas. Both states are hurricane prone, and the sections that aren't get the most insane thunderstorms I have ever seen (and remember, I live in Florida!). Realize Texas is so climatically diverse ranging from bare-dry desert to temperature/almost Midwestern to almost Florida subtropical. I'll take Florida over any of Texas's climate zones.

Reasonable cost of living- Texas without a doubt. Florida and Texas are similar tax wise (both states have high prop. tax and no income tax), but Texas doesn't have the insane HOA costs, overvalued real estate, yet cities like Houston and Dallas has amazing job markets and affordable homes. Cities like Tampa and Miami don't have either.

For some reason, half of Florida seems to think of Atlanta as being "peaceful" and "safe", and decided to put their house on the market to move there (or North Carolina, or Tennessee, and many foreclosed and have to move there due to costs). Also many are moving for more relevant reasons, like the fact that they can't raise kids in Florida on 40 thousand a year, and can go make 60 thousand in Atlanta or Charlotte working the same job, paying less to live. Don't buy a home in Florida, you will LOSE!!!

Old 11-09-2007, 04:58 PM

4,147 posts, read 7,999,782 times
Lets see

ill put who has the worst.

Humidity FL
Traffic TX
Hurricanes FL (twice as many an only coastal Texans have to worry)
Job Market FL (remember it who has the worst)
Annoying Snowbirds Tie (Texas is really starting to pack them in)
Quality of Life Tie (Depends what you want)

Old 11-09-2007, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
Job Market FL (remember it who has the worst)
Excuse me? Houston is second to NYC is number of Fortune 500 companies headquartered there, a real economic powerhouse. Dallas is another powerhouse (but for whatever reason I can't stand Dallas).

Old 11-09-2007, 05:16 PM

4,147 posts, read 7,999,782 times
That is why i said Fl has the worst job market.

Old 11-09-2007, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
That is why i said Fl has the worst job market.
I apologize, I misunderstood, I thought you were suggesting it was better and then I read the top.

Old 03-23-2017, 07:37 PM

35 posts, read 42,312 times
I'd choose Florida way more diverse than Texas and Georgia in plants,animals,and people.

Old 03-23-2017, 10:34 PM

4 posts, read 6,388 times
Personally I prefer Georgia over Texas and Florida because 1) I like greenery and tree cover, of which Texas has relatively little compared to Georgia (and Florida's "forests" are just downright ugly); 2) I much prefer the weather to Florida's, although it can get ungodly hot and humid during the summer.

The job markets in Atlanta, Dallas, Houston & Austin are growing at a rapid rate and (at least in Atlanta and Dallas) there's a diversity of industry. If you're in software/IT, you can't go wrong with Atlanta, DFW or Austin. Florida's job market is dismal regardless of where you go, although from what I've seen Miami-Dade/Brevard County is probably your best bet (it is expensive, though).

Almost everyone I know who has moved to Florida, lured by its perceived good weather and quality of life, end up moving back to where they came from or somewhere else once the realities of living in Florida set in.

Old 03-23-2017, 11:33 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
I prefer Texas.

Old 03-24-2017, 05:42 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random person View Post
I'd choose Florida way more diverse than Texas and Georgia in plants,animals,and people.
lol more ignorance. Florida is not way more diverse in plants, animals, and people than Texas. Maybe Georgia .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.